DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Question on GFCI combo outlet/switch (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/238849-question-gfci-combo-outlet-switch.html)

Mikepier March 19th 08 11:15 AM

Question on GFCI combo outlet/switch

I had replaced the light switch in a bathroom with a GFCI combo
outlet /switch so that a hair dryer can be used. The feed comes from
the vanity light with a 12/3 wire into the switchbox, then continues
out from there with a 12/2 to the other circuits.
Because the feed comes from the vanity light, it cannot be protected
by the GFCI. Right? I don't know if the vanity light has to be
protected so it might not matter.

RBM[_2_] March 19th 08 11:29 AM

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I had replaced the light switch in a bathroom with a GFCI combo
outlet /switch so that a hair dryer can be used. The feed comes from
the vanity light with a 12/3 wire into the switchbox, then continues
out from there with a 12/2 to the other circuits.
Because the feed comes from the vanity light, it cannot be protected
by the GFCI. Right? I don't know if the vanity light has to be
protected so it might not matter.

The vanity light doesn't need GFCI protection, but I would assume that the
red wire of the feed cable, is the return to the light, and if so, you could
protect it.

RBM[_2_] March 19th 08 11:34 AM

"RBM" wrote in message

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I had replaced the light switch in a bathroom with a GFCI combo
outlet /switch so that a hair dryer can be used. The feed comes from
the vanity light with a 12/3 wire into the switchbox, then continues
out from there with a 12/2 to the other circuits.
Because the feed comes from the vanity light, it cannot be protected
by the GFCI. Right? I don't know if the vanity light has to be
protected so it might not matter.

The vanity light doesn't need GFCI protection, but I would assume that the
red wire of the feed cable, is the return to the light, and if so, you
could protect it.

I take that back, it wouldn't work with the one neutral

Terry March 19th 08 04:04 PM

Question on GFCI combo outlet/switch

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:15:00 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

I had replaced the light switch in a bathroom with a GFCI combo
outlet /switch so that a hair dryer can be used. The feed comes from
the vanity light with a 12/3 wire into the switchbox, then continues
out from there with a 12/2 to the other circuits.
Because the feed comes from the vanity light, it cannot be protected
by the GFCI. Right? I don't know if the vanity light has to be
protected so it might not matter.

What you most likely have is the 12/2 is "feeding" the light. The
12/3 is carrying a hot to the switch/GFCI and a neutral to the GFCI
The red is switch leg coming back to the light.

Mikepier March 19th 08 05:17 PM

On Mar 19, 12:04*pm, Terry wrote:
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:15:00 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier

What you most likely have is the 12/2 is "feeding" the light. *The
12/3 is carrying a hot to the switch/GFCI and a neutral to the GFCI
The red is switch leg coming back to the light.

No, when I seperated all the wires, I confirmed the 12/3 is the feed
coming from the vanity light.
I tried to connect the red return wire to the "load" side of the GFI,
but it tripped immediately, which made sense since the vanity light's
neutral is not GFI protected.