Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Latex paint doesn't crack??

Finally found a "real paint store" that sells Benjamin Moore exterior
paint in 5-gallon pails.

Store employee asked what I was planning to paint over -- oil or latex.
I replied that I didn't know because it was already on the house when we
bought it, and (unlike with many of the interior paints) the previous
owner hadn't left any of the exterior paint.

Store employee asked if the existing paint was cracking. I said that it
was, and she said, "Then it must be oil based, because latex paints
don't crack."

Is that true? So if I prep properly and paint with a 25-year warranty
latex, the only reason to repaint within that time would be that we get
tired of the color?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Finally found a "real paint store" that sells Benjamin Moore exterior
paint in 5-gallon pails.

Store employee asked what I was planning to paint over -- oil or latex. I
replied that I didn't know because it was already on the house when we
bought it, and (unlike with many of the interior paints) the previous
owner hadn't left any of the exterior paint.

Store employee asked if the existing paint was cracking. I said that it
was, and she said, "Then it must be oil based, because latex paints don't
crack."

Is that true? So if I prep properly and paint with a 25-year warranty
latex, the only reason to repaint within that time would be that we get
tired of the color?

Perce

find a different person at that store, or another store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 3:38*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
Finally found a "real paint store" that sells Benjamin Moore exterior
paint in 5-gallon pails.

Store employee asked what I was planning to paint over -- oil or latex.
I replied that I didn't know because it was already on the house when we
bought it, and (unlike with many of the interior paints) the previous
owner hadn't left any of the exterior paint.

Store employee asked if the existing paint was cracking. I said that it
was, and she said, "Then it must be oil based, because latex paints
don't crack."

Is that true? So if I prep properly and paint with a 25-year warranty
latex, the only reason to repaint within that time would be that we get
tired of the color?

Perce

How old is the house, when the original coat fails because it has not
been maintained and cracks you could end up painting it every year
with lifetime warranty paint that wont be honored because the under
coats are failing , not what you just put on. If you are where it
freezes what do you think happens when it freezes at night after it
rains, it ruins the base layer. water expands when it freezes. Latex
cracks too, you need pro advise at your house from a pro, as you are
also missing alot more of the job details.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Finally found a "real paint store" that sells Benjamin Moore exterior
paint in 5-gallon pails.

Store employee asked what I was planning to paint over -- oil or
latex. I replied that I didn't know because it was already on the
house when we bought it, and (unlike with many of the interior paints)
the previous owner hadn't left any of the exterior paint.

Store employee asked if the existing paint was cracking. I said that
it was, and she said, "Then it must be oil based, because latex paints
don't crack."

Is that true? So if I prep properly and paint with a 25-year warranty
latex, the only reason to repaint within that time would be that we
get tired of the color?

Perce

It might be possible for latex paint to crack, but I have never seen
that. The clerk was probably right. Latex, in my experience, peels
with a flexible,
filmy character. Latex flexes a little bit on expanding/contracting;
oil less. That is why it appears it might be oil.

Is this an old home? Wood siding? Moisture damage? I would expect -
and I am not a house painter - that if you scrape all loose paint,
clean it properly, prime, it would be ok to use latex. Make sure it is
dry when you paint, not in hot sun, and follow all the label instructions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/18/08 08:41 pm ransley wrote:

On Mar 18, 5:42 pm, Norminn wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

dry when you paint, not in hot sun, and follow all the label instructions.- Hide quoted text -

I was a pro painter, I just painted my garage door last fall after
alot of great scraping over old cracked paint and its cracked again
today. I used sherwin williams best paint. My original coats are shot,
I should have stripped the doors.

What would you suggest for stripping a whole 100 linear feet or so of
8-ft high plywood siding? I had thought of using a power washer then
(after a week's drying time) priming any resulting bare spots, but it
sounds as though you would recommend something more drastic than that.
Hardipanel (pre-primed) over the plywood? Instead of the plywood? Or
just attack the existing plywood with one of those 3M paint-stripper
wheels (like a super-aggressive version of ScotchBrite)?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:42:11 -0500, Norminn wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

[...]

and don't put latex over enamel without serious prep or it will come
off in sheets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

I was a pro painter, I just painted my garage door last fall after
alot of great scraping over old cracked paint and its cracked again
today. I used sherwin williams best paint. My original coats are shot,
I should have stripped the doors.

Plywood? Warped? Painted inside and out? If it has panels, the wood
probably sucks up
moisture and expands more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Good modern latex paint is good, when properly applied. It does
not do as well without some care when applying it over existing oil
paints. Most people I know who have been disappointed with it have
either failed in the prep and application or they used cheap or
improper paint for their use.

I don't mean to indicate that it is better than oil, but it is a
second choice and today it is often the only choice.

Latex semi is about all that is used on concrete block/stucco in FL. I
believe that I have read that oil is better
for wood. I have used oil on exterior wood trim that was badly
alligatored. When scraped to remove loose paint,
cleaned, primed, caulked and dry, oil worked fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]

Perce- Hide quoted text -

Stripping is major work and money, it depends on house age and how
many coats especialy of Lead paint. This year why not paint it, wash,
scrape , prime and paint and see how well it holds up. slow drying oil
primer is best, paint in shade and when wood is not warm from the sun.
I have no idea without seeing it if the cracks go to bare wood or how
bad it is, hit the cracks with one coat then paint the whole wall.

latex paint dee Home Repair 29 May 15th 07 12:38 AM
About all that latex paint... C & E Home Repair 13 April 10th 07 05:04 AM
Peel-A-Way Paint Remover For Latex Paint: Any Good ? Robert11 Home Repair 0 July 16th 06 01:36 AM
Paint sprayer & latex paint Adam Preble Home Repair 3 May 27th 06 02:57 PM
Latex paint Julian Fowler UK diy 2 July 16th 03 05:30 PM