Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sweet odor from Instant Hot (Not HW Heater) @ Kitchen Sink

We have one of those Hot water Taps at the Kitchen Sink, heats up the water
on a separate spigot. It is NOT a Point Of Use Instant Hot Hot water heater.

When we use it (since we bought the house, so 4 years now) there is a
somewhat sweet smell that comes from the water that comes out of it.

Does not seem to have a taste. Though we mostly use it for preheated water
for boiling, or cleaning....

I have not crawled under the sink to see who makes it..

Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Townsend wrote:

We have one of those Hot water Taps at the Kitchen Sink, heats up the water
on a separate spigot. It is NOT a Point Of Use Instant Hot Hot water heater.

When we use it (since we bought the house, so 4 years now) there is a
somewhat sweet smell that comes from the water that comes out of it.

Does not seem to have a taste. Though we mostly use it for preheated water
for boiling, or cleaning....

I have not crawled under the sink to see who makes it..

Scott-

Crawl under the sink and find the manufacturer and model. Lookup online
for a manual and see if there is a periodic sanitizing procedure for it.
Draw samples of the water from that tap and from a regular faucet and
have them analyzed.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:16:42 -0700, "Scott Townsend"
wrote:

Analyze? Its cheaper to get a new unit. I've had water tested before its
not cheap. Well to get it tested right.

So get it tested wrong. Around here tests are free to know if it is
potable or not. And unless you are only boiling water for babies and
double boilers, you are using it for food.

BTW, they might not call it one, but it really is a point of use
instant hot water heater, just a very small one.

So that's mostly why we use it mostly for boiling water... (-;

It smells the same as before we added the house filtration system.

"Pete C." wrote in message
t...

Scott Townsend wrote:

We have one of those Hot water Taps at the Kitchen Sink, heats up the
water
on a separate spigot. It is NOT a Point Of Use Instant Hot Hot water
heater.

When we use it (since we bought the house, so 4 years now) there is a
somewhat sweet smell that comes from the water that comes out of it.

Does not seem to have a taste. Though we mostly use it for preheated
water
for boiling, or cleaning....

I have not crawled under the sink to see who makes it..

Scott-

Crawl under the sink and find the manufacturer and model. Lookup online
for a manual and see if there is a periodic sanitizing procedure for it.
Draw samples of the water from that tap and from a regular faucet and
have them analyzed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 3:01*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Scott Townsend" wrote in message

We have one of those Hot water Taps at the Kitchen Sink, heats up the water on
a separate spigot. It is NOT a Point Of Use Instant Hot Hot water heater..

When we use it (since we bought the house, so 4 years now) there is a somewhat
sweet smell that comes from the water that comes out of it.

Does not seem to have a taste. *Though we mostly use it for preheated water
for boiling, or cleaning....

I have not crawled under the sink to see who makes it..

I noticed something like that on one of the plastic tank ones. Call the
manufacturer and ask them this question.

Bob

In my experience, these units don't last very long to begin with. I
had an Insinkerator. Just after the warranty ran out, which was
maybe 2 years, the thermal high temp fuse burned out, for no reason,
ie the main thermostat was working, it wasn't empty, etc. It cost me
$20 for the replacement part, which consisted of a totally different
bracket, fuse arrangement, etc. To me it seemed likely that they
knew this was a problem and changed the design, but they made me pay
for the part anyway.

And over time, the water does begin to take on some taste. It's
simlar to the water from a regular hot water tank, which also doesn't
taste like fresh cold tap water.

Now, at about 7 years, the Insinkerator started leaking, where the
heating element goes into the plastic tank, so it's shot.

For convenience, I love these things. However, for the above
reasons, they are less than idea. I guess one solution might be to
put a water filter prior to the unit. Some are made that can deliver
hot and cold water. With that plus a filter, you may eliminate the
water odor and also get filtered water dispenser.

The other solution is to use an electric kettle that plugs in. I
have one that works on a 15A outlet and is 1500watts. It heats 1.5
litres in a few mins. I start it up first, and about the time I've
ground the coffee, got the French Press ready, etc, the hot water is
ready. The kettle rings and shuts off when it's boiling. If you have
20A, there are models with more watts available.

Instant water heater bof UK diy 17 December 22nd 07 11:13 AM
Kitchen Sink Odor lucy Home Repair 6 May 30th 05 07:37 AM
208V instant water heater on 240V Nick Home Repair 11 May 7th 05 10:55 PM
Foul odor from kitchen sink spray hose blu4899 Home Ownership 1 May 9th 04 12:56 AM