Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help removing dishwasher please!

So, somehow we had a rubber spatula fall on to the heating element in
our dishwasher, where it proceeded to melt everywhere. We wanted a
new dishwasher anyways, so this was a small blessing in disguise. Now
the problem...

We had hardwood floors put in the kitchen, and the bottom of the
dishwasher is now "walled" behind the new floor so that it won't slide
out anymore. We have new granite countertops above it, so removing
the counter won't work.

I think that with enough pulling and tugging, we may be able to
squeeze the washer out, but I'm afraid it will damage the floor while
I'm doing it.

Is it possible to completely disassemble a dishwasher so that it will
come out in pieces? Anyone run into this before?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:38:41 -0700 (PDT), Ingram Developers
wrote:

So, somehow we had a rubber spatula fall on to the heating element in
our dishwasher, where it proceeded to melt everywhere. We wanted a
new dishwasher anyways, so this was a small blessing in disguise. Now
the problem...

That's nothing. Just scrape off what you can and then use the
dishwasher as normally. Eventually the pieces will fall off, and come
to rest in the food filter where you can pick them up like food.

We had hardwood floors put in the kitchen, and the bottom of the
dishwasher is now "walled" behind the new floor so that it won't slide
out anymore. We have new granite countertops above it, so removing
the counter won't work.

I think that with enough pulling and tugging, we may be able to
squeeze the washer out, but I'm afraid it will damage the floor while
I'm doing it.

And how will you then get the new one in?

Is it possible to completely disassemble a dishwasher so that it will
come out in pieces? Anyone run into this before?

Lots of people. It ain't pretty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 00:22:08 -0400, mm wrote:
Is it possible to completely disassemble a dishwasher so that it will
come out in pieces? Anyone run into this before?

Lots of people. It ain't pretty.

I had a similar problem and considered hack sawing off the legs and if that
didn't work, hack sawing the u-shaped bracket that held the legs.

That would have given me plenty of room to remove the dishwasher but as mm
says, we'd still need to get the new one in so the problem didn't go away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

the lower framework of a dishwasher is usually not made of much. You may be
able to get a hacksaw in there and cut an inch or so off the bottom.
'Course that leaves the motor, and they're usually pretty close to the floor
also... Just a thought.

"Ingram Developers" wrote in message
So, somehow we had a rubber spatula fall on to the heating element in
our dishwasher, where it proceeded to melt everywhere. We wanted a
new dishwasher anyways, so this was a small blessing in disguise. Now
the problem...

We had hardwood floors put in the kitchen, and the bottom of the
dishwasher is now "walled" behind the new floor so that it won't slide
out anymore. We have new granite countertops above it, so removing
the counter won't work.

I think that with enough pulling and tugging, we may be able to
squeeze the washer out, but I'm afraid it will damage the floor while
I'm doing it.

Is it possible to completely disassemble a dishwasher so that it will
come out in pieces? Anyone run into this before?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ingram Developers wrote:
So, somehow we had a rubber spatula fall on to the heating element in
our dishwasher, where it proceeded to melt everywhere. We wanted a
new dishwasher anyways, so this was a small blessing in disguise. Now
the problem...

We had hardwood floors put in the kitchen, and the bottom of the
dishwasher is now "walled" behind the new floor so that it won't slide
out anymore. We have new granite countertops above it, so removing
the counter won't work.

I think that with enough pulling and tugging, we may be able to
squeeze the washer out, but I'm afraid it will damage the floor while
I'm doing it.

Is it possible to completely disassemble a dishwasher so that it will
come out in pieces? Anyone run into this before?

Do the legs adjust?

Give some thought to the real possibility that after trying extreme and
Draconian measures (including chopping and hacking and sawing), you still
can't get it out. You will have what looks like a miniature car wreck under
your counter.

The only fix for that is curtains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's the punishment you get for doing something really stupid like
installing a floor over an existing floor instead or removeing the
existing floor and replacing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 18, 9:28*am, wrote:
That's the punishment you get for doing something really stupid like
installing a floor over an existing floor instead or removeing the
existing floor and replacing it.

Totally agree. The floor installer was probably not a very experienced
person or he would have pointed that out.
So at this point, the only logical thing to do is carefully
disassemble and remove the entire counter and top, install flooring
under the counter area to the same height as the new hardwood and
reinstall the counter sans dishwasher. Although this sounds like a
whole bunch of work, it isn't really all that tedious. A good
journeyman would have it done before lunch. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message

Do you have a source for a shorter placement?

Oops. That should be "replacement".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Mar 18, 9:28 am, wrote:
That's the punishment you get for doing something really stupid like
installing a floor over an existing floor instead or removeing the
existing floor and replacing it.

Totally agree. The floor installer was probably not a very experienced
person or he would have pointed that out.
So at this point, the only logical thing to do is carefully
disassemble and remove the entire counter and top, install flooring
under the counter area to the same height as the new hardwood and
reinstall the counter sans dishwasher. Although this sounds like a
whole bunch of work, it isn't really all that tedious. A good
journeyman would have it done before lunch. Good luck.

To make that work I think you'd have to remove all of the cabinets to put
flooring under them. Like someone else said, it may be possible to adjust
the feet enough to get the clearance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So, somehow we had a rubber spatula fall on to the heating element in
our dishwasher, where it proceeded to melt everywhere. We wanted a
new dishwasher anyways, so this was a small blessing in disguise. Now
the problem...

We had hardwood floors put in the kitchen, and the bottom of the
dishwasher is now "walled" behind the new floor so that it won't slide
out anymore. We have new granite countertops above it, so removing
the counter won't work.

I think that with enough pulling and tugging, we may be able to
squeeze the washer out, but I'm afraid it will damage the floor while
I'm doing it.

Is it possible to completely disassemble a dishwasher so that it will
come out in pieces? Anyone run into this before?

At the top of the DW and counter bottom, can you cut some wood (not
sure of the cabinet piece name) - the horizontal face piece over the
DW?

That would make the space larger and give clearance to get it out and
a new one back in.

Problems like this are not always the flooring guy, I've seen a
problem like this and it related to the owner and cabinet
install/builder guy.

It was POS job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:04:18 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On Mar 18, 9:28*am, wrote:
That's the punishment you get for doing something really stupid like
installing a floor over an existing floor instead or removeing the
existing floor and replacing it.

Totally agree. The floor installer was probably not a very experienced
person or he would have pointed that out.
So at this point, the only logical thing to do is carefully
disassemble and remove the entire counter and top,

Well, if he's going to do all this, he needn't do what follows. He
can take off the counter (including the sink if it is there) and put
in the new dishwasher, then put the counter back on. My dishwasher
has lasted 29 years. (although I've heard new ones don't last that
long, I'm not totally convinced. Of course I live alone and don't use
mine unless it is full.)

But his new one will still last another 10 or 15 years. By then other
things may have changed. Of course like I say, he can just keep using
the DW he has. If there is still a long rod stuck to the heater
coil, he can cut most of it off with wire cutters or a saw. The rest
will fall off, or can be pushed off with one's fingers, or it won't
matter that it is there.

He can also cut out a few pieces of the hardwood floor, and later
repalce them in a way that is less permanent, with some sort of strip
to fill in the kerf if it is wide enough. I'm not sure I like this
idea though. When I started I thought maybe only a foot would have to
be removed but now I'm not sure it would be so little.

He can also shop for a new DW which either has adjustable legs or he
can make them adjustable before installation. He can cut off the legs
and replace them with angle iron, with drilling two holes in the leg
stubs and the leg extensions, to be assembled after installation.

I don't think the motor is low enough, in the ones I've seen, to
prevent removal and reinstallation.

install flooring
under the counter area to the same height as the new hardwood and
reinstall the counter sans dishwasher. Although this sounds like a
whole bunch of work, it isn't really all that tedious. A good
journeyman would have it done before lunch. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It was POS job.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not the OP but...

I've had 3 DW's in my kitchen since moving in and none of them had any
wood between the DW and the bottom of the counter. The DW has always
filled the hole completely.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:43:39 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've had 3 DW's in my kitchen since moving in and none of them had any
wood between the DW and the bottom of the counter. The DW has always
filled the hole completely.

Mine too! There isn't even a sixteenth of an inch of spare space.
Complete photos at http://www.flickr.com/donnaohl
I don't even have a bracket holding the dishwasher in place.

Donna
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:14:08 -0700, Donna Ohl
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:43:39 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've had 3 DW's in my kitchen since moving in and none of them had any
wood between the DW and the bottom of the counter. The DW has always
filled the hole completely.

Mine too! There isn't even a sixteenth of an inch of spare space.
Complete photos at http://www.flickr.com/donnaohl
I don't even have a bracket holding the dishwasher in place.

Donna

I don't have the face piece over my DW. The one I saw in recent months
did - a 1 X 2 face piece.

Not the same one, but a similar cabinet (sample pic..)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2219/...654944b86e.jpg