DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Kick Toe heater sizing (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/238592-kick-toe-heater-sizing.html)

Eric Scantlebury[_2_] March 18th 08 01:45 AM

Kick Toe heater sizing

Ok - I am remodling my kitchen and I'm putting cabinets where my existing
baseboard had been so I want to put a toe kick heater in as a replacement.

Anyone know of a good site for a DIY'er to get sizing info and product info
on these units? I've already pulled out the existing forced hot water
baseboard (and just spliced it to the existing zone with 3/4 copper). The
old baseboard was around 5 feet. The kitchen is 12'x12'.

I can do all the plumbing and electrical for the unit just need to know what
to buy. Any experience/opinions welcome.

TIA

RBM[_2_] March 18th 08 03:19 AM

Kick Toe heater sizing

"Eric Scantlebury" wrote in message
Ok - I am remodling my kitchen and I'm putting cabinets where my existing
baseboard had been so I want to put a toe kick heater in as a replacement.

Anyone know of a good site for a DIY'er to get sizing info and product
info on these units? I've already pulled out the existing forced hot
water baseboard (and just spliced it to the existing zone with 3/4
copper). The old baseboard was around 5 feet. The kitchen is 12'x12'.

I can do all the plumbing and electrical for the unit just need to know
what to buy. Any experience/opinions welcome.

TIA

Just my opinion: use anything but a toekick. I've used a few brands like
Myson, and Becon-Morris. I'm pretty sure they're all made by the same
company. From my experience, over time they tend to vibrate and become very
loud. Make sure you don't install them under any base cabinet where you'd
want to stand in front of, they blow so hot you have to straddle it

Eric Scantlebury[_2_] March 18th 08 03:35 AM

Kick Toe heater sizing

"RBM" wrote in message

"Eric Scantlebury" wrote in message
Ok - I am remodling my kitchen and I'm putting cabinets where my existing
baseboard had been so I want to put a toe kick heater in as a
replacement.

Anyone know of a good site for a DIY'er to get sizing info and product
info on these units? I've already pulled out the existing forced hot
water baseboard (and just spliced it to the existing zone with 3/4
copper). The old baseboard was around 5 feet. The kitchen is 12'x12'.

I can do all the plumbing and electrical for the unit just need to know
what to buy. Any experience/opinions welcome.

TIA

Just my opinion: use anything but a toekick.

What would you suggest in an area that has cabinets all around? I've had no
heat at all this winter in the room (New England) and quite honestly, I've
thought about no heat. The room doesn't get more than a degree or so below
the rest of the house - and that was even with all the insulation ripped
out. Now that I've insulated and rocked it, cooking overheats it. LOL!

RBM[_2_] March 18th 08 03:54 AM

Kick Toe heater sizing

"RBM" wrote in message

[...]

A little radiant under the floor would be nice, but not always possible or
practical. They make some really small in wall electric units with transflow
blowers, similar to those in the toe kick, if it was a choice between the
two

Eric Scantlebury[_2_] March 18th 08 04:01 AM

Kick Toe heater sizing

"RBM" wrote in message

Just my opinion: use anything but a toekick.

What would you suggest in an area that has cabinets all around? I've had
no heat at all this winter in the room (New England) and quite honestly,
I've thought about no heat. The room doesn't get more than a degree or
so below the rest of the house - and that was even with all the
insulation ripped out. Now that I've insulated and rocked it, cooking
overheats it. LOL!

A little radiant under the floor would be nice, but not always possible or
practical. They make some really small in wall electric units with
transflow blowers, similar to those in the toe kick, if it was a choice
between the two

Well - radiant isn't an option. I started with just a new floor and my wife
"decided" we needed a new kitchen AFTER I had laid the tile. I'm not
pulling it up! LOL! I've seen "electrical" toe kicks - is this what your
talking about? I have upgraded my electrical (due to running all new
circuits to the kitchen and I only had 100amp fuse service originally) so
I'm not necessarilly adverse to that as a solution. Thoughts?

RBM[_2_] March 18th 08 11:55 AM

Kick Toe heater sizing

"RBM" wrote in message

[...]

No, I'd use hydronic toe kicks before electric. It seems to me that
something is wrong in their design, that so many are noisy. They even sit on
rubber cusheons to prevent vibration. I'm talking about "in wall fan-forced
heaters", like this one from Grainger:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3UG16 These are my second to last
choice, only slightly better than toe kicks. I would try to see if it would
be possible to install a recessed or semi recessed radiator if you have any
wall space at all