DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Air compressor suitability? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/238518-air-compressor-suitability.html)

[email protected] March 17th 08 01:43 PM

Air compressor suitability?

I have zero experience with air compressors, but could use one and a
local store has one on sale with attachments.

The specs a
8 gallon, 1.3 hp running, 125 max psi, 4.5 scfm@40 psi, 3.7 scfm@90
psi.

I wanted it to be able to assist with weekend auto repairs (brakes,
calipers, springs, shocks, etc) and as well have some jobs around the
house (nailing hardwood flooring, new trim work, bathroom renovations)
and I would not mind if it were strong enough to be able to do some
touch up spray painting.

Would people here be able to advise me if this unit would be good
enough for that type of work? If not, what would the limitations be?

I am just a 'weekend warrior' not a commercial outfit, so the usage
would be sporadic at best.

TIA.

Phisherman March 17th 08 02:03 PM

Air compressor suitability?

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 05:43:21 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have zero experience with air compressors, but could use one and a
local store has one on sale with attachments.

The specs a
8 gallon, 1.3 hp running, 125 max psi, 4.5 scfm@40 psi, 3.7 scfm@90
psi.

I wanted it to be able to assist with weekend auto repairs (brakes,
calipers, springs, shocks, etc) and as well have some jobs around the
house (nailing hardwood flooring, new trim work, bathroom renovations)
and I would not mind if it were strong enough to be able to do some
touch up spray painting.

Would people here be able to advise me if this unit would be good
enough for that type of work? If not, what would the limitations be?

I am just a 'weekend warrior' not a commercial outfit, so the usage
would be sporadic at best.

TIA.

Eight gallons is not very much--probably not enough for spray guns.
Oilless air compressors don't last as long as the units that require
oil. Just about any compressor will drive a nailer. Look at the
requirements of the tools you plan to use, then size the compressor
accordingly. A little extra power/capacity is a good thing.

S. Barker March 17th 08 03:39 PM

Air compressor suitability?

What you mention is fine for everything except the spray painting. That
requires lots more air than you'll get with that unit.

Joe March 17th 08 04:58 PM

On Mar 17, 7:43*am, " wrote:
I have zero experience with air compressors, but could use one and a
local store has one on sale with attachments.

The specs a
8 gallon, 1.3 hp running, 125 max psi, 4.5 scfm@40 psi, 3.7 scfm@90
psi.

I wanted it to be able to assist with weekend auto repairs (brakes,
calipers, springs, shocks, etc) and as well have some jobs around the
house (nailing hardwood flooring, new trim work, bathroom renovations)
and I would not mind if it were strong enough to be able to do some
touch up spray painting.

Would people here be able to advise me if this unit would be good
enough for that type of work? If not, what would the limitations be?

I am just a 'weekend warrior' not a commercial outfit, so the usage
would be sporadic at best.

TIA.

Just for the helluvit, check the yellow pages for commercial
compressor stores and pay one a visit. Ask about used or trade ins,
and you might get lucky with a nice big machine priced at 20%% or so
of new, which could be well within your budget. Don't be afraid of 240
V types, as they will like last far longer than what you can buy. In
that way you could have something that will do anything you could
throw at it it for years to come. HTH

Joe

Smitty Two March 17th 08 05:14 PM

Air compressor suitability?

DO NOT BUY THE OILLESS COMPRESSOR AS
THEY ARE LOUDER THAN A JET MOTOR.

Sorry, but whenever I see this claim touted, I have to counter. Cheap
oilless compressors are indeed deafening. However, it is well within the
bounds of current technological capabilities to produce an oil-free
compressor that is at least as quiet as a typical oiled unit. I have
such a beast, from Sears, with a ticket price of about $800. It is
quieter than any oiled unit of similar price and capacity that I've
heard.

SteveB[_6_] March 17th 08 06:02 PM

wrote in message
I have zero experience with air compressors, but could use one and a
local store has one on sale with attachments.

The specs a
8 gallon, 1.3 hp running, 125 max psi, 4.5 scfm@40 psi, 3.7 scfm@90
psi.

I wanted it to be able to assist with weekend auto repairs (brakes,
calipers, springs, shocks, etc) and as well have some jobs around the
house (nailing hardwood flooring, new trim work, bathroom renovations)
and I would not mind if it were strong enough to be able to do some
touch up spray painting.

Would people here be able to advise me if this unit would be good
enough for that type of work? If not, what would the limitations be?

I am just a 'weekend warrior' not a commercial outfit, so the usage
would be sporadic at best.

TIA.

From what you say, you will WANT (notice I didn't say NEED) a larger one
than an 8 gallon. If you want to run power tools, one of those will be too
light. Buy at least a two horse upright with a 30 gallon tank. HD has a
Husky for about $300 that is good. DO NOT BUY THE OILLESS COMPRESSOR AS
THEY ARE LOUDER THAN A JET MOTOR.

A small compressor works hard. A larger one doesn't work as hard to do the
same thing. For a lot of what you want, a small compressor will be fine.
But there's the every once in a while when the small one just won't do the
work, and you'll be dead in the water.

Steve

Jim Elbrecht March 17th 08 06:48 PM

wrote:

I have zero experience with air compressors, but could use one and a
local store has one on sale with attachments.

I have just about a years worth- so I remember most of my
dis-appointments and where it exceeded my expectations.

The specs a
8 gallon, 1.3 hp running, 125 max psi, 4.5 scfm@40 psi, 3.7 scfm@90
psi.

Mine is a cheap Harbor Freight job- $150 on sale- 4HP/10gallons, uses
oil, about 7cf@40psi & 4.5 at 115.

Plenty for even a framing nailer for my use- but I don't know if it
would keep up with my brothers in law who are framers. [my framer is a
Porter Cable- the finish nailer is a name brand- the brad nailer was a
$10 special from HF- works fine.]

I've used a cheap HVLP paint sprayer- and it barely kept up--- but it
*did* keep up.

It's too slow to really keep up with the gravity feed sand blaster I
got-- but it allows me to empty the hopper-- then I refill, pause a
minute or two, and repeat. Not big on production- but does the
job.

Coolest tool is a $10 air hammer-- the chisels work great for
splitting bricks-

Air shears work OK.

I've tried 3 different cheap die grinders & air cutters. Not enough
CFM, though the specs on the tools were below 4.5. Remember that
the tool makers say less, and your compressor is probably optimistic.

One other thing on that Harbor freight compressor. I used whatever
oil they sold there. Next time I'll go for a lighter weight
synthetic. When it is below 50 degrees the compressor won't start.
I"ve moved it to the basement for the winter- but I'll see if an oil
change and 'running it in' can get over that.

Jim

Bob F March 17th 08 09:58 PM

"Joe" wrote in message
On Mar 17, 7:43 am, " wrote:
[...]

Exactly what I did maybe 15 years ago, and I've never been sorry.

5HP 220V cast iron 2 stage compressor with a 30-40 gallon tank. Still works like
the day I bought it.

Edwin Pawlowski March 18th 08 03:28 AM

wrote in message
The specs a
8 gallon, 1.3 hp running, 125 max psi, 4.5 scfm@40 psi, 3.7 scfm@90
psi.

I wanted it to be able to assist with weekend auto repairs (brakes,
calipers, springs, shocks, etc) and as well have some jobs around the
house (nailing hardwood flooring, new trim work, bathroom renovations)
and I would not mind if it were strong enough to be able to do some
touch up spray painting.

Would people here be able to advise me if this unit would be good
enough for that type of work? If not, what would the limitations be?

I am just a 'weekend warrior' not a commercial outfit, so the usage
would be sporadic at best.

Marginal for some tasks. Great for nailers, filling a tire that is low.
You can airbrush all day, but a regular spray will take more air than the
3.7 cfm. Most take about 7 to 10 cfm. Air tools take a but more also for
repeated use. You could drive a couple of lugs on a wheel, but an air
chisel or grinder is out of the question.

Is portability a necessity? If so, this is good to take into the house for
the trim jobs. If not, go bigger and run an air hose to where you need it.

SteveB[_6_] March 18th 08 04:00 AM

Air compressor suitability?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Different tools require different supplies.

A amateur spray gun may work with what you have, but if you want to use
a good spray gun (good means better and faster results) you willl need
more. It should be fine for a small touch up spray gun.

A finish nailer should be just fine, but if you want to do production
framing or roofing, forget it.

I ended up sand blasting a large 2 ½ story home. I would still be
working on that job, except I rented a trailer mounted commercial air
compressor.

In short, what you list may be fine, but I will guess that in time you
will, like a lot of us have, find other jobs for it and wish you had more
power and storage capacity. Check the specific requirements and
recommendations for the specific tools you are considering.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Joseph, I knew if I waited around long enough there would be something we
would agree upon. I am a fan for just overbuying. Then you can use it for
most anything, including those jobs that come along only once a year or so.
But not so much overbuying as the compressor you rented. I have a stand up
Husky, and that does anything I want to do.

Steve

Chris Lewis March 18th 08 03:39 PM

Air compressor suitability?

According to Joseph Meehan :

A finish nailer should be just fine, but if you want to do production
framing or roofing, forget it.

The compressor the OP mentioned is more than adequate for any nailer,
including hardwood flooring nailers. That's the sort of rig that
professional framers, roofers and hardwood installers use. Often
two or three nailers off the same unit. I used one like that for
flooring. Nailers really don't need that much.

Sanders, decent sprayers and sand blasters are the big
air hogs.

Automotive tools need more air than nailers, but less than sprayers.
If he can live with waiting for the tank to recharge with higher
air volume automotive tools, he won't have problems.

["Waiting" isn't practical with sprayers, and a PITA with sanders or
blasters.]
--
Chris Lewis,

Smitty Two March 21st 08 03:36 AM

Air compressor suitability?

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

You spent 800 on a disposable compressor? D'uh.

Next time buy an oiled one, and change the oil regularly.

No thanks. Don't want oil in my air. But I tell you what, if it breaks
before I die, I'll let you know.