Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water filter Question

Greetings,

I've been lookig at the big box store's two stage under sink water
filters- the GE GXSV65F and the Whirlpool WHED20.

What I'm wondering, since I really want to mount the filters in the
basement under the kitchen, and tee the icemaker into the filtered
water line to the sink, is can I do the same filtering job using
standard filter housings and cartridges, and maybe get a little longer
between cartridge changes, and not be tied to GE or Whirlpool
replacement cartridges?

Thanks,
DP
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dellphinus" wrote in message

What I'm wondering, since I really want to mount the filters in the
basement under the kitchen, and tee the icemaker into the filtered
water line to the sink, is can I do the same filtering job using
standard filter housings and cartridges, and maybe get a little longer
between cartridge changes, and not be tied to GE or Whirlpool
replacement cartridges?

Sure. I have mine in the basement too for the same reason. Easier to
change also. IMO, under sink is the last resort if you have another spot
easier to access.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 8:37 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"dellphinus" wrote in message

What I'm wondering, since I really want to mount the filters in the
basement under the kitchen, and tee the icemaker into the filtered
water line to the sink, is can I do the same filtering job using
standard filter housings and cartridges, and maybe get a little longer
between cartridge changes, and not be tied to GE or Whirlpool
replacement cartridges?

Sure. I have mine in the basement too for the same reason. Easier to
change also. IMO, under sink is the last resort if you have another spot
easier to access.

OK, I guess I didn't ask the real question- what type housings and
cartridges will qive me equivalent performance to the ones I
mentioned? From what I've been able to see in the catalogs
(Grainger), it looks like a 5 micron and a .5 micron carbon block
would be equivalnet, but I'm really just guessing based on reading
what the above units calim to reduce, and what the cartridges claim to
reduce.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dellphinus" wrote in message

OK, I guess I didn't ask the real question- what type housings and
cartridges will qive me equivalent performance to the ones I
mentioned? From what I've been able to see in the catalogs
(Grainger), it looks like a 5 micron and a .5 micron carbon block
would be equivalnet, but I'm really just guessing based on reading
what the above units calim to reduce, and what the cartridges claim to
reduce.

Any housing that takes the standard 10" cartridge will work the same. I've
been using the GE carbon filters because they are readily available but
others will work also.