DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pale wood furniture turning yellow (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/238404-pale-wood-furniture-turning-yellow.html)

Beano March 17th 08 01:34 AM

Pale wood furniture turning yellow

I have some of that lime washed pale coloured furniture from Freedom.
I've had it for about a year and it's starting to go yellow. The
coffee table isn't as bad but the TV table is really ugly now. Is
there a way I can clean this yellow off, or is it the wood?

Norminn March 17th 08 02:05 AM

Beano wrote:

I have some of that lime washed pale coloured furniture from Freedom.
I've had it for about a year and it's starting to go yellow. The
coffee table isn't as bad but the TV table is really ugly now. Is
there a way I can clean this yellow off, or is it the wood?

Most finishes yellow to some extent, oil based more than water based.
Woods discolor
with age and sun exposure, differing by type of wood. Could be the lime
wash, too.

ransley March 17th 08 02:39 AM

On Mar 16, 7:34*pm, Beano wrote:
I have some of that lime washed pale coloured furniture from Freedom.
I've had it for about a year and it's starting to go yellow. *The
coffee table isn't as bad but the TV table is really ugly now. *Is
there a way I can clean this yellow off, or is it the wood?

Its probably the wood and finish affected by the sun from non UV
reducing glass. It will likely continue to darken, maybe you have a
warranty.

Edwin Pawlowski March 17th 08 02:56 AM

Beano wrote:

I have some of that lime washed pale coloured furniture from Freedom.
I've had it for about a year and it's starting to go yellow. The
coffee table isn't as bad but the TV table is really ugly now. Is
there a way I can clean this yellow off, or is it the wood?

Only way is to remove the finish and sand the wood down below the oxidized
top coat. Use a finish with UV protection and it will last longer before it
yellows again. This is a natural occurrence with most woods.