Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Above ground pool?

I have an above ground pool and it seems that the liner has sprung a leak.
The cover is still on so I don't know where it is or how big the hole is. I
live 30 miles from Chicago and we had some cold weather this year. My
question is it worth it to try to fix the leak or get a new liner? The liner
is about 6 years old?

Thanks for any help, Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do yourself a favor since the liner is 6 yrs. old . Replace it ! I
replace mine after 3 yrs w/ similar problem . The warranty's are
useles as far as how long those things are supposed to last anyway -
as far as I am concerned . With reservation , I decided to do it
myself for the first time w/ help from only the wife . It ended up
working fairly well . Just make sure when you take the old one off ,
get on your hands and knees and get out as much of the garbage
affecting your liner floor . You would be surprised how much works
it's way up thru that sand that is sharp , especially after 6 years .
At least that is my opinion .

I know a guy who lost 2 liners over 3 years , causing damage to
both his and a neighbors garage , plus the neighbors basement . Is it
worth the trouble ? Will repairing eliminate the Underlying Problem ?
Probably not . I too live in Chicago . Good Luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rich" madeyoulook@localhost writes:

I have an above ground pool and it seems that the liner has sprung a leak.
The cover is still on so I don't know where it is or how big the hole is. I
live 30 miles from Chicago and we had some cold weather this year. My
question is it worth it to try to fix the leak or get a new liner? The liner
is about 6 years old?

Yes, it's worth it.

A liner will be a lot more expensive than a patch and a lot more
work.

The patch will be nearly invisible and last as long as the liner.
Almost any size hole can be patched.
A rip is a different story.
Patches can be applied under the water.

If it does come to getting a liner, I found a massive difference
between store prices and online prices. If you're going to do the
work yourself, consider ordering online.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it does come to getting a liner, I found a massive difference
between store prices and online prices. *If you're going to do the
work yourself, consider ordering online.

I would agree that you would get a better deal on line if you choose
a replacement , as long as you find somebody reputable !
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks everyone for the replies. Do you know a good reputable online dealer?
I have some help and might be worth doing myself?

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
[...]

I've ordered 2 liners from poolstore.com.
No complaints.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Personally I have only had to deal with a guy selling on ebay w/
decent prices once . He doesn't seem to sell liners though . Although
you may get the better deal online , trust is another issue . Sad
part is that all the local - dealer stores in the Chicago area aren't
cheap , and they have all jumped on the cost of petroleum is affecting
the cost of vinyl and chemicals bandwagon . Sorry - I wish I could
help on this one . You may just have to do a little homework I guess .
Again - Good luck !!!!

ps : The guy on ebay goes by the Member ID of dropshippools . His
name is Matt I believe . You could always try to find him on ebay ,
drop him an email and ask him what he sells outside of ebay or if any
auctions are coming up for the liner you need . It can't hurt .