DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Best caulk for hardie siding? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/238278-best-caulk-hardie-siding.html)

LYLE MOYER March 16th 08 11:06 AM

Best caulk for hardie siding?

Just had the house sided with Hardie siding and now need to paint it. What
is the best caulk to use for Hardie siding? The house is in Dallas, Texas.

Thanks in Advance
Lyle

marson March 16th 08 02:00 PM

Best caulk for hardie siding?

On Mar 16, 7:41 am, Steve wrote:
"LYLE MOYER" wrote on 16 Mar 2008 in group
alt.home.repair:

Just had the house sided with Hardie siding and now need to paint it.
What is the best caulk to use for Hardie siding? The house is in
Dallas, Texas.

Any good caulk will work. I buy DAP painters caulk by the case. It cures
quickly and is paintable in about 30 minutes.

Make sure the caulk says it's paintable and is designed for outdoor use,
preferably on siding.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

I'd have to disagree with this one. While latex caulks are user
friendly, they will not remain flexible nearly as long as a good
urethane caulk. I'd use OSI quad. (http://www.osiproseries.com/
Category.aspx?CategoryID=Window-Siding-Sealants). Superior adhesion,
superior flexibility when compared to latex.

Norminn March 16th 08 02:11 PM

LYLE MOYER wrote:

Just had the house sided with Hardie siding and now need to paint it. What
is the best caulk to use for Hardie siding? The house is in Dallas, Texas.

Thanks in Advance
Lyle

Google knows, and it only takes 0.23 seconds :o)

http://www.jameshardie.com/developer...ulk ing.shtml

http://www.jameshardie.com/developer...b=js navLink4

J.A. Michel March 16th 08 09:17 PM

"LYLE MOYER" wrote in message
Just had the house sided with Hardie siding and now need to paint it. What
is the best caulk to use for Hardie siding? The house is in Dallas, Texas.

Thanks in Advance
Lyle

I used Hardie color-matched caulk on mine. I'm pretty sure it was a
tri-polymer type caulk. You also might want to consider using pre-painted
hardie-plank. The time saved is well worth it.

George March 17th 08 01:13 PM

Steve wrote:
"LYLE MOYER" wrote on 16 Mar 2008 in group
alt.home.repair:

Just had the house sided with Hardie siding and now need to paint it.
What is the best caulk to use for Hardie siding? The house is in
Dallas, Texas.

Any good caulk will work. I buy DAP painters caulk by the case. It cures
quickly and is paintable in about 30 minutes.

But isn't "painters caulk" typically the cheapest lowest quality caulk
you can buy?