DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OK to air-nail 2x4s together on their flat faces? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/238210-ok-air-nail-2x4s-together-their-flat-faces.html)

bryan[_2_] March 15th 08 11:16 PM

OK to air-nail 2x4s together on their flat faces?

Can I use an air-actuated framing nailer gun to nail parallel 2x4s
together?

I have a home business, and one of the tasks is to screw 2x4s together
to make one thick post. I spread glue on the 3.5" wide faces, then
clamp them together before fastening.

Instead of driving deck screws for fastening, I am curious if I can
use a pneumatic framing nailer.

Would I split the wood?

[email protected] March 15th 08 11:27 PM

On Mar 15, 4:16*pm, bryan wrote:
Can I use an air-actuated framing nailer gun to nail parallel 2x4s
together?

I have a home business, and one of the tasks is to screw 2x4s together
to make one thick post. I spread glue on the 3.5" wide faces, then
clamp them together before fastening.

Instead of driving deck screws for fastening, I am curious if I can
use a pneumatic framing nailer.

Would I split the wood?

I think you would be fine. Nails won't have the holding power of the
screws but this may not matter depending on your application. Out of
curiosity why don't you just use a 4x4?

Scott Townsend March 15th 08 11:54 PM

OK to air-nail 2x4s together on their flat faces?

You do it all the time for King/Cripple studs for framing in a doorway.. Or
at least I've always nailed them together.

The 3" nail is usually a Tad long though so I usually add a slight angle to
it.

Scott-

Joe March 16th 08 02:43 AM

On Mar 15, 6:16*pm, bryan wrote:
Can I use an air-actuated framing nailer gun to nail parallel 2x4s
together?

I have a home business, and one of the tasks is to screw 2x4s together
to make one thick post. I spread glue on the 3.5" wide faces, then
clamp them together before fastening.

Instead of driving deck screws for fastening, I am curious if I can
use a pneumatic framing nailer.

Would I split the wood?

Why bother with nails or screws if you are gluing the two bys
together? Simply use enough clamps to hold them overnight and you're
good to go in the morning. If it makes you feel better, use a couple
ring shank nails at each clamping site or someplace where it might
impress a customer. Framing nails are available in thicknesses
unlikely to split the wood. Check out the Senco line for some of the
best tools and fasteners in the business. HTH

Joe

Harry K March 16th 08 02:48 AM

On Mar 15, 4:16*pm, bryan wrote:
Can I use an air-actuated framing nailer gun to nail parallel 2x4s
together?

I have a home business, and one of the tasks is to screw 2x4s together
to make one thick post. I spread glue on the 3.5" wide faces, then
clamp them together before fastening.

Instead of driving deck screws for fastening, I am curious if I can
use a pneumatic framing nailer.

Would I split the wood?

Others have answered the nail question.

I will add a bit.

The trick to nailing two (or more) 2X members together so you have a
straight member is to eyeball them and then lay them so the curve is
opposite. Start nailing at one end and keep pulling the opposite ends
to make the area being nailed match each other as you proceed. A
helper is nice but not really needed.

It will be easy at the start but grows harder the nearer you approach
the opposite end. The last nail or two may require a clamp to make
the members match.

If you start with two members of approximately equal curviture, the
finshed product will be straight.

Harry K

DerbyDad03 March 16th 08 02:57 AM

On Mar 15, 7:16*pm, bryan wrote:
Can I use an air-actuated framing nailer gun to nail parallel 2x4s
together?

I have a home business, and one of the tasks is to screw 2x4s together
to make one thick post. I spread glue on the 3.5" wide faces, then
clamp them together before fastening.

Instead of driving deck screws for fastening, I am curious if I can
use a pneumatic framing nailer.

Would I split the wood?

Why use a nail gun? Just do what this guy does...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH_bOmqtqVc

Scroll to about the 1:50 mark.

Phisherman March 16th 08 03:01 AM

OK to air-nail 2x4s together on their flat faces?

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:16:44 -0700 (PDT), bryan
wrote:

Can I use an air-actuated framing nailer gun to nail parallel 2x4s
together?

I have a home business, and one of the tasks is to screw 2x4s together
to make one thick post. I spread glue on the 3.5" wide faces, then
clamp them together before fastening.

Instead of driving deck screws for fastening, I am curious if I can
use a pneumatic framing nailer.

Would I split the wood?

Sounds good. It doesn't matter much if screws or nails are used as
the wood glue will do most of the holding power. It is possible to
split the wood, especially near the end grain.

RicodJour March 16th 08 04:15 AM

bryan wrote:
Can I use an air-actuated framing nailer gun to nail parallel 2x4s
together?

I have a home business, and one of the tasks is to screw 2x4s together
to make one thick post. I spread glue on the 3.5" wide faces, then
clamp them together before fastening.

Instead of driving deck screws for fastening, I am curious if I can
use a pneumatic framing nailer.

Would I split the wood?

No need to use screws of nails. If you're gluing them together you
could use tape, string, or old bicycle inner tubes as big rubber
bands to hold them together while the glue sets up.