Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing question

I want to tap into an existing cold water line in my garage. Without
giving more explanation than necessary, I want to know if I can de-
solder the bottom of a T connection without ruining the two straight
connections across the top. In this case, the two parallel connections
are 3/4 inch, and the connection I want to remove the pipe from is 1/2
inch. Can I wrap the joints I want to leave in place with a wet cloth?
Is that even necessary? Thanks in advance for any help.
Eric
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I want to tap into an existing cold water line in my garage. Without
giving more explanation than necessary, I want to know if I can de-
solder the bottom of a T connection without ruining the two straight
connections across the top. In this case, the two parallel connections
are 3/4 inch, and the connection I want to remove the pipe from is 1/2
inch. Can I wrap the joints I want to leave in place with a wet cloth?
Is that even necessary? Thanks in advance for any help.
Eric

It can be done but it is really tough to do. Some of the chemical coolers
might work better than your wet cloth.

Cleaning that joint to reuse it is also a potential problem.

If there is any other way to do what you want I would explore those options
first.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 5:45 pm, wrote:
I want to tap into an existing cold water line in my garage. Without
giving more explanation than necessary, I want to know if I can de-
solder the bottom of a T connection without ruining the two straight
connections across the top. In this case, the two parallel connections
are 3/4 inch, and the connection I want to remove the pipe from is 1/2
inch. Can I wrap the joints I want to leave in place with a wet cloth?
Is that even necessary? Thanks in advance for any help.
Eric

Yes, I'll agree it can be done. But usually you are better off
getting the whole fitting off and replacing with new. It can be a
bitch getting the new pipe into the old fitting. Usually there is
just enough solder left to make things difficult, and sanding the
inside of a half inch fitting to the point of usability is nothing
nice. Be careful with the heat too. I have heated fittings to the
point of deformng them while trying to get a fitting loose. You could
always cut out the fitting and put a new one in with a repair coupling
if you don't have any play in the 3/4.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You're best off taking the t out and replacing it. After you clean all the
solder off the pipes the best you can. And no , on the wet rag. You'll
never get it hot on the third side if you have that rag heat sinking the
heat away.

wrote in message
I want to tap into an existing cold water line in my garage. Without
giving more explanation than necessary, I want to know if I can de-
solder the bottom of a T connection without ruining the two straight
connections across the top. In this case, the two parallel connections
are 3/4 inch, and the connection I want to remove the pipe from is 1/2
inch. Can I wrap the joints I want to leave in place with a wet cloth?
Is that even necessary? Thanks in advance for any help.
Eric

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all for the advice....I've decided to take out the fitting
rather than try to reuse it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Mar 21, 8:25*am, wrote:
Thanks to all for the advice....I've decided to take out the fitting
rather than try to reuse it.

Never reuse copper fittings easiest way to get a split joint.

Concrete question (regarding previous plumbing question) [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 17th 06 09:07 PM
plumbing question The Dave© Home Repair 4 March 28th 05 09:19 PM
plumbing question [email protected] Home Ownership 5 February 27th 05 04:32 AM
Plumbing question No Home Repair 1 February 7th 05 03:06 AM
Plumbing question Art Home Repair 13 December 9th 04 11:34 PM