DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Advice on adding screen room to deck (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/238174-advice-adding-screen-room-deck.html)

[email protected] March 15th 08 06:32 PM

Advice on adding screen room to deck

We have an attached 10 x 12 deck connected to our vinyl sided home and
are starting to think about turning the deck it into a screen room. I
have a few questions:

- How can I best determine if the deck will support the load of a
roof?

If it can:

- Can I drop some posts at the outside corners and brace them within
the deck floor?
- Should the outside wall start close to the house be attached to the
house?

Thanks

cavedweller March 15th 08 07:25 PM

Advice on adding screen room to deck

On Mar 15, 2:32 pm, "
wrote:
We have an attached 10 x 12 deck connected to our vinyl sided home and
are starting to think about turning the deck it into a screen room. I
have a few questions:

- How can I best determine if the deck will support the load of a
roof?

If it can:

- Can I drop some posts at the outside corners and brace them within
the deck floor?
- Should the outside wall start close to the house be attached to the
house?

Thanks

It would be good to know if you are thinking of a manufactured screen
room or something that you would construct. Manufactured stuff can be
very light and the distributor could give you advice on installation.

[email protected] March 15th 08 08:03 PM

Advice on adding screen room to deck

On Mar 15, 3:25 pm, cavedweller wrote:
On Mar 15, 2:32 pm, "
wrote:

We have an attached 10 x 12 deck connected to our vinyl sided home and
are starting to think about turning the deck it into a screen room. I
have a few questions:

- How can I best determine if the deck will support the load of a
roof?

If it can:

- Can I drop some posts at the outside corners and brace them within
the deck floor?
- Should the outside wall start close to the house be attached to the
house?

Thanks

It would be good to know if you are thinking of a manufactured screen
room or something that you would construct. Manufactured stuff can be
very light and the distributor could give you advice on installation.

Wooops! I am considering something I would construct. Like this:
http://www.handymanclub.com/Projects....aspx?id=18863

I guess I would have to cut the existing posts flush with the deck.
They are notched to support the deck.

cavedweller March 15th 08 10:46 PM

Advice on adding screen room to deck

wrote:

[...]

Why not something like this:

http://www.weatherwallsystems.com/

mm March 15th 08 11:45 PM

Advice on adding screen room to deck

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:32:34 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

We have an attached 10 x 12 deck connected to our vinyl sided home and
are starting to think about turning the deck it into a screen room. I
have a few questions:

- How can I best determine if the deck will support the load of a
roof?

Figure out how much the roof will weigh. Then allow fewer people on
to the deck.

Or, say the roof will weight 220 pounds. Recall the maximum number of
people you've ever had on the deck. Get them and one fat guy to stand
on your deck and see if it collapses.

Allow for snow.

If it can:

- Can I drop some posts at the outside corners and brace them within
the deck floor?

??

- Should the outside wall start close to the house be attached to the
house?

I think it will have to be if you don't want mosquitoes to come in.
But it could be attached lightly, with one screw at the top and one at
the bottom, so that when the deck ffalls down**it won't take your
house with it.

**Say in 20 or 40 years.

Thanks

Tony Hwang May 17th 08 04:41 PM

wrote:
We have an attached 10 x 12 deck connected to our vinyl sided home and
are starting to think about turning the deck it into a screen room. I
have a few questions:

- How can I best determine if the deck will support the load of a
roof?

If it can:

- Can I drop some posts at the outside corners and brace them within
the deck floor?
- Should the outside wall start close to the house be attached to the
house?

Thanks

Hi,
I did exactly that years ago. Size was bigger than yours.
Living in a cold climate, Deck floor was foam core insulated to R40 and
custom manufactured 4 season roof and walls/windows erected. Also
installed a heat pump for extra heating/cooling. My deck was suported by
concrete piles more than 6 feet deep(frost line)

cshenk May 17th 08 05:23 PM

Advice on adding screen room to deck

"Tony Hwang" wrote

wrote:

Thanks for quoting Tony, because he's using @gmail, I dont see him directly.

We have an attached 10 x 12 deck connected to our vinyl sided home and
are starting to think about turning the deck it into a screen room. I
have a few questions:

- How can I best determine if the deck will support the load of a
roof?

What is the deck made of? Thats your critical factor. Also, if slab, how
thick is the slab?

- Can I drop some posts at the outside corners and brace them within
the deck floor?

If slab, yes.

- Should the outside wall start close to the house be attached to the
house?

Yes, screened too right?

I did exactly that years ago. Size was bigger than yours.
Living in a cold climate, Deck floor was foam core insulated to R40 and
custom manufactured 4 season roof and walls/windows erected. Also
installed a heat pump for extra heating/cooling. My deck was suported by
concrete piles more than 6 feet deep(frost line)

Mine's wood but being replaced in one section about his size with a 3 season
room (being south of you, 3 season here means 4 season use).