Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Hey everyone.

Hi, I got a question.
I'm charging my Yamaha TT-R230 battery.
It's a 12 volt. Should I, unplug it, and put water in the 6 holes? Im
new to this, but I saw on the internet before that you are supposed to
put water in the holes. Like, half way becuase what does acid do when
you charge it? It expands. So, should I put water in it?

I'm really new to this. I never knew you had to put water in the
cells.
I thought of this because, its not really charging as good as its
supposed to.
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,595
Default Hey everyone.

Billy Rowe wrote:
Hi, I got a question.
I'm charging my Yamaha TT-R230 battery.
It's a 12 volt. Should I, unplug it, and put water in the 6 holes? ...


Assuming it has removable caps (which I'm assuming it does as you have
"holes") rather than being sealed, you should check the water level, yes.

There's a "split ring" there which will indicate the proper level when
you can see the water on them--that's their purpose to give you a visual
clue when water level is low.

Ideally, you should use de-ionized water.

--
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Hey everyone.

On Mar 15, 1:19*pm, dpb wrote:
Billy Rowe wrote:
Hi, I got a question.
I'm charging my Yamaha TT-R230 battery.
It's a 12 volt. Should I, unplug it, and put water in the 6 holes? ...


Assuming it has removable caps (which I'm assuming it does as you have
"holes") rather than being sealed, you should check the water level, yes.

There's a "split ring" there which will indicate the proper level when
you can see the water on them--that's their purpose to give you a visual
clue when water level is low.

Ideally, you should use de-ionized water.

--


Well, I see the holes. But, the cover looks like it has two tabs on
the side. I prssed on it, and it looks like its taking off the hole
battery cover.
Well, on the side of the battery, there is two holes. I tried pressing
them up with a screw driver, but they didnt budge.
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,595
Default Hey everyone.

Billy Rowe wrote:
....
Well, I see the holes. But, the cover looks like it has two tabs on
the side. I prssed on it, and it looks like its taking off the hole
battery cover.
Well, on the side of the battery, there is two holes. I tried pressing
them up with a screw driver, but they didnt budge.


Does the battery say anything on it about "sealed"? Most do if so,
altho not quite as prevalent as used to be before none were. If it
does, then the cell covers aren't designed to be removed. If it isn't
sealed, it _might_ say something about checking fluid level.

I can't tell at all what you're really talking about as far as the
description--I assumed by "holes" you were looking into each cell w/ the
cover/lid already off.

If it isn't sealed, some do have fairly large caps--if it comes up
_relatively_ easily w/ the lever action, you're ok -- as it comes up
they will loosen up some; it's just a friction fit to keep from leaking.

Whatever the holes on the side are, they aren't fluid filler holes--I'm
guessing perhaps it has the alternate side terminal mounts for the
stud-type connections, but I'm at a loss otherwise for "holes" on the
side of a battery--and certainly not six of them which would have to
have for a 12V.

--
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"