Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

Default Shopping for a new plastic fence

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new fence to replace the old rotten one. Want to go
plastic this time in hopes that it will last longer. Basically, the main
application for the fence would be to keep the dogs in. A rather small job
- 8 x 8' sections plus a gate for lawn mowers and what have you.

The ones I've seen in HD and Lowes's alike seem to be put together using a
glue of sorts. Is this reliable enough?

Does anyone have a good tip for me on what to look for and what kind of
plastic fence might be better for the job? I'm planning to use a
contractor to install it, btw

Thanks!
D~

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new fence to replace the old rotten one. Want to go
plastic this time in hopes that it will last longer. Basically, the main
application for the fence would be to keep the dogs in. A rather small job
- 8 x 8' sections plus a gate for lawn mowers and what have you.

The ones I've seen in HD and Lowes's alike seem to be put together using a
glue of sorts. Is this reliable enough?

Does anyone have a good tip for me on what to look for and what kind of
plastic fence might be better for the job? I'm planning to use a
contractor to install it, btw

Thanks!
D~

\//.
-------------------------------------

Hi,
For small to medium dogs maybe OK. Year before in winter couple deer
came to my yard to eat crab apples off the tree and knocked down a
section of fence like nothing. replacing was easy. Yes they are welded
with kind of glue. We always have wild bunnies, deer, pheasants, birds
in my yard year round.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm looking for a new fence to replace the old rotten one. Want to go
plastic this time in hopes that it will last longer. Basically, the main
application for the fence would be to keep the dogs in. A rather small job

chain link is a far better choice and will last nearly forever
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 10:45�pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
I'm looking for a new fence to replace the old rotten one. Want to go
plastic this time in hopes that it will last longer. Basically, the main
application for the fence would be to keep the dogs in. A rather small job

chain link is a far better choice and will last nearly forever

Hi,
If ground does not settle.

no mattewr what fence ground settlement can cause grief......
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 3/15/2008 12:53 PM DA said the following:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new fence to replace the old rotten one. Want to go
plastic this time in hopes that it will last longer. Basically, the main
application for the fence would be to keep the dogs in. A rather small job
- 8 x 8' sections plus a gate for lawn mowers and what have you.

The plastic fences sold by HD and Lowes are usually no more than 6' high
and no more than 6' in length.
Even searching on the web doesn't seem to find any 8' long panels.
Six feet wide seems to be the maximum length, probably because of
sagging concerns.
I have an old wooden 7' high privacy fence that I want to replace with
plastic panels, leaving the 8' apart PT posts in place. I can
grandfather the posts in place to meet the 6" setback requirements that
were in effect when I installed the fence 24 years ago. If I dig up and
move the posts to accept the 6' wide panels, the grandfather clause is
gone, and I will have to move the fence 3' in from the property line.

The ones I've seen in HD and Lowes's alike seem to be put together using a
glue of sorts. Is this reliable enough?

The glue hasn't failed in any of the 15 sections of short vinyl fencing
around my IG pool and it's been there for about 5 years now.

Does anyone have a good tip for me on what to look for and what kind of
plastic fence might be better for the job? I'm planning to use a
contractor to install it, btw

Thanks!
D~

\//.
-------------------------------------

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

8-foot sections are available from The Fence Source. I have no idea of
their reputation, quality, etc, but 8-footers are available if you look.

Chain link is easy to install.

"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 278475
messages and counting!

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY