Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Min Height between range and Microwave hood?

So we bought a Microwave hood for the electric range.

Looked in the Manual and there does not seem to be a recommended distance
between the top of the range and the bottom of the microwave hood.

Seems like I've seen a few at 17" though wanted to pass it by the Authority
here...

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Scott Townsend wrote:

Seems like I've seen a few at 17" though wanted to pass it by the Authority
here...

Way too low imo...that would barely let a large pot under. 24" would be
my bare minimum---let's see, just went out and checked -- the one here
is about 28" which seems, well, "ok"...if the app were for someone who
was a "serious" chef-type, I'd guess even that might be restrictive on
occasion, but for the average Joe/Jane, ought to be adequate...

HTH, $0.02, imo, etc., etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 07:12:56 -0700, "Scott Townsend"
wrote:

So we bought a Microwave hood for the electric range.

Looked in the Manual and there does not seem to be a recommended distance
between the top of the range and the bottom of the microwave hood.

Seems like I've seen a few at 17" though wanted to pass it by the Authority
here...

Thanks!

Hi Scott,

I can't speak on behalf of the Authority, but I can tell you mine is a
hair over 18 inches which I believe is the recommended height for my
particular model (a Panasonic). I have a gas cook top and if one or
more burners operate on high for an extended period of time, the
exhaust fan automatically kicks on in "cool down" mode (i.e., at its
highest setting) to presumably prevent heat damage; that suggests
you'll want to maintain at least the minimum recommended separation.

Cheers,
Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So we bought a Microwave hood for the electric range.

Looked in the Manual and there does not seem to be a recommended distance
between the top of the range and the bottom of the microwave hood.

Seems like I've seen a few at 17" though wanted to pass it by the Authority
here...

Thanks!

Just checked. Mine is 17" have not had any issues for many years and
have used a large stock pot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
Scott Townsend wrote:
So we bought a Microwave hood for the electric range.

Looked in the Manual and there does not seem to be a recommended
distance between the top of the range and the bottom of the microwave
hood.

Seems like I've seen a few at 17" though wanted to pass it by the
Authority here...

Thanks!

I just bought a smooth top range and this is what mine says:

Note: 24" min. when bottom of wood or
metal cabinet is protected by not less than
1/4" flame retardant millboard covered
with not less than No. 28 MSG sheet steel,
0.015" stainless steel, 0.024" aluminum or
0.020" copper.
30" min. clearance

I would look at your range manual for the installation section. Most
will tell you what a safe situation is.

More than just fire safety is at issue. Also need to consider how tall
the cook is, and the airflow for the exhaust fan built into the micro.
I'm 6'3", and have seen retrofits hung so low, that I would have to bend
over to look in a pot on the back burner of the range. Sometimes the
cabinet above stove has to be replaced with a shorter one (if that style
is still available), or a hardwood shelf, trimmed and finished to match.
(Or just write off that cabinet position, and fabricate a drywall or
metal soffit above.) One of those things that is a judgment call, and
you have to see the kitchen to decide.

But yeah, 24" is about as low as I would even think about going.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"...snip...if the app were for someone who was a "serious" chef-type
...snip..."

Would a Serious type Chef use A Microwave hood fan for the stove? (-:

Thanks,

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Scott Townsend wrote:

Seems like I've seen a few at 17" though wanted to pass it by the
Authority here...

Way too low imo...that would barely let a large pot under. 24" would be
my bare minimum---let's see, just went out and checked -- the one here is
about 28" which seems, well, "ok"...if the app were for someone who was a
"serious" chef-type, I'd guess even that might be restrictive on occasion,
but for the average Joe/Jane, ought to be adequate...

HTH, $0.02, imo, etc., etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does this Apply to a Rental? Slumlord here I come...

So I think since there are a few others there with 17, I'll see what I can
Squeeze in. Its an older cabinet unit and I really dont wan to have to
re-work it to get a few more inches.

Thanks all...

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Ken wrote:
More than just fire safety is at issue. Also need to consider how tall the
cook is, and the airflow for the exhaust fan built into the micro. I'm
6'3", and have seen retrofits hung so low, that I would have to bend over
to look in a pot on the back burner of the range. Sometimes the cabinet
above stove has to be replaced with a shorter one (if that style is still
available), or a hardwood shelf, trimmed and finished to match. (Or just
write off that cabinet position, and fabricate a drywall or metal soffit
above.) One of those things that is a judgment call, and you have to see
the kitchen to decide.

But yeah, 24" is about as low as I would even think about going.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Scott Townsend wrote:
"...snip...if the app were for someone who was a "serious" chef-type
...snip..."

Would a Serious type Chef use A Microwave hood fan for the stove? (-:

Probably not, but a "serious" one might....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just redid my kitchen and I have the standard 18" backsplash, and my
microhood is 20" above the stove

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mikepier wrote:
I just redid my kitchen and I have the standard 18" backsplash, and my
microhood is 20" above the stove

My wife has canning cookers nearly that tall...

Whatever works for you...

$0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., ...