DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to remove grout, separate old greenboard & mastic from tile forre-use? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/238107-how-remove-grout-separate-old-greenboard-mastic-tile-forre-use.html)

Doc March 15th 08 11:50 AM

How to remove grout, separate old greenboard & mastic from tile forre-use?

I've got a section of a shower stall that suffered from some water
seepage and want to re-use the tile. What's the best way to remove the
tile from the greenboard and also remove the old mastic to re-use the
tile?

Also, what's the best way to remove the old grout?

Thanks

dpb March 15th 08 01:27 PM

Doc wrote:
I've got a section of a shower stall that suffered from some water
seepage and want to re-use the tile. What's the best way to remove the
tile from the greenboard and also remove the old mastic to re-use the
tile?

Also, what's the best way to remove the old grout?

The best way is to start over w/ new tile... :)

PITA job no matter what you do. For cleaning up tile for repair/reuse
I've had decent success w/ the wire wheel on the bench grinder after
whack off what can w/ the various putty knives, scrapers, etc., ...

charlie March 17th 08 04:57 PM

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Doc wrote:
I've got a section of a shower stall that suffered from some water
seepage and want to re-use the tile. What's the best way to remove the
tile from the greenboard and also remove the old mastic to re-use the
tile?

Also, what's the best way to remove the old grout?

The best way is to start over w/ new tile... :)

PITA job no matter what you do. For cleaning up tile for repair/reuse
I've had decent success w/ the wire wheel on the bench grinder after whack
off what can w/ the various putty knives, scrapers, etc., ...
--

i recently found that the side of a diamond cutoff blade in my 4" side
grinder takes off thinset on the back of tiles really well. wear dust

if it's really mastic in the OP case, then

a: you're not supposed to use greenboard in a shower
b: mastic can be removed with heat.

regards,
charlie

RicodJour March 17th 08 10:31 PM

On Mar 15, 7:50 am, Doc wrote:
I've got a section of a shower stall that suffered from some water
seepage and want to re-use the tile. What's the best way to remove the
tile from the greenboard and also remove the old mastic to re-use the
tile?

Also, what's the best way to remove the old grout?

There are mastic removers that are citrus-based that will soften the
mastic without damaging the tile or you. I've never used the stuff,
but try some of the citrus-based hand cleaner. That'll probably work.

BTW, greenboard _and_ mastic in a shower is a _very_ bad idea. Either
one is bad, both together is simply nuts. You can pretty much count
on having to repair more of the shower stall. Sorry.

aemeijers March 18th 08 12:12 AM

RicodJour wrote:
On Mar 15, 7:50 am, Doc wrote:
I've got a section of a shower stall that suffered from some water
seepage and want to re-use the tile. What's the best way to remove the
tile from the greenboard and also remove the old mastic to re-use the
tile?

Also, what's the best way to remove the old grout?

There are mastic removers that are citrus-based that will soften the
mastic without damaging the tile or you. I've never used the stuff,
but try some of the citrus-based hand cleaner. That'll probably work.

BTW, greenboard _and_ mastic in a shower is a _very_ bad idea. Either
one is bad, both together is simply nuts. You can pretty much count
on having to repair more of the shower stall. Sorry.

I agree totally- if one wall has failed, pretty good odds the others are
real close. IMHO, this is in the category of stuff you don't wanna do
twice. Best to rip out down to the studs, put up proper backer board,
and do it right.

By the way, reusing old tile is VERY labor intensive. New tile is pretty
cheap. Do you have an odd size or a weird color where it would simply be
impossible to get new tile that would look okay with the other tile in
the bathroom?

--
aem sends...