Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default Drywall on concrete wall?

Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without special
preparation?If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JOE wrote:
Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without special
preparation?

No.

If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

Build the wall out with furring strips or preferably studs.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

The area in question is at the bottom of the basement stairs and will need
just 2 / 4 x 8 sheets.Because of code requirements I have just enough room
for mounting on the wall.
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
JOE wrote:
Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without
special
preparation?

No.

If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

Build the wall out with furring strips or preferably studs.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 07:26:57 -0400, "JOE" wrote:

Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without special
preparation?If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

I wouldn't. If I was tight on space I'd mud the wall with a sticky
mortar mix. Work it well and give it a couple coats of paint & it
will look as good and be both cheaper and more durable than sheetrock.
[and it will be fun to watch someone try to hang a picture with a
nail/screw]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

JOE wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

JOE wrote:

Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without
special
preparation?

No.

If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

Build the wall out with furring strips or preferably studs.

The area in question is at the bottom of the basement stairs and will

need
just 2 / 4 x 8 sheets.Because of code requirements I have just enough

room
for mounting on the wall.

If it's an outside wall, forget it. If it's an inside wall, I'm not
sure what you could do, but I'm imagining you would need to look at a
material other than drywall - maybe a skim coat of plaster directly on
the concrete?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JOE" wrote:
The area in question is at the bottom of the basement stairs and will need
just 2 / 4 x 8 sheets.Because of code requirements I have just enough room
for mounting on the wall.

What "code requirements" force you to mount it directly on the wall?

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
JOE wrote:
Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without
special
preparation?

No.

If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

Build the wall out with furring strips or preferably studs.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "JOE"
wrote:
The area in question is at the bottom of the basement stairs and
will need just 2 / 4 x 8 sheets.Because of code requirements I have
just enough room for mounting on the wall.

What "code requirements" force you to mount it directly on the wall?

They probably are concerned about an underground, concrete wall being
subjected to fire. Drywall will provide 30 minutes of flame retardation
allowing the folks to escape.

It's for the children.

I'd put up insulating foam boards, texture it, and paint.

Who could tell?

Posted to alt.home.repair

what code won't allow for a 1" furring strip?

"JOE" wrote in message
The area in question is at the bottom of the basement stairs and will need
just 2 / 4 x 8 sheets.Because of code requirements I have just enough room
for mounting on the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's for the children.

I'd put up insulating foam boards, texture it, and paint.

Who could tell?

Wouldn't exposed foam be a big fire hazard? Probably very illegal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JOE" wrote in message
Can drywall be attached directly to a concrete basement wall without
special
preparation?If not what needs to be done to the concrete surface?

Sure it can in a small area like that...As long as there are NO water
leaks...You just need to use the new Mold Resistant sheetrock like GP Brand
DensArmor or USG Brand FiberRoc AquaTough..Attach with PL 100 Drywall
Adhesive and tempory bracing....There is also sheetrock rated for outside
use and is usually used in commercial applications for fire rating....You
could check a drywall supply company for speciality sheetrock and
advice...Good luck...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
It's for the children.

I'd put up insulating foam boards, texture it, and paint.

Who could tell?

Wouldn't exposed foam be a big fire hazard? Probably very illegal.

If it is, a lot of house are in violation. I was talking about the
insulating board that they face framework with.

Besides, that stuff doesn't support combusion. It'll melt, but won't burn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message

It's for the children.

I'd put up insulating foam boards, texture it, and paint.

Who could tell?

Wouldn't exposed foam be a big fire hazard? Probably very illegal.

Not really a fire hazard, but a smoke hazard if something else starts a fire
and burns the foam along with it. Building insulating foam is treated with
fire retardants and if you take the source of ignition away, the foam will
go out. That said, it is still against code to have it exposed. There is,
however, a fire retarding paint you can put over it that is acceptable. Cost
is over $50 a gallon though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SBH SBH is offline

"S. Barker" wrote in message
what code won't allow for a 1" furring strip?

My guess is the code requires a specific width of the entrance/exit,
hallway, stairway, etc and if he applies drywall using furring strips, 2 x
2, 2 x 4 or anything other will result in a narrow pathway, thus negating
the code and hereby becoming illegal. I'm assuming it's for a rental place
or something along those lines.