Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Fireplace damper won't shut

Hi! I have a steel fireplace, 29 years old, with a round metal
chimney and a metal damper. I've used it may be 50 times. Now I'm
having trouble shutting the damper.

And to a lesser extent, opening it. I can open it if I push harder
than I used to.

And I can shut it if I put my hand up inside a foot so that I can pull
the rod to the side while I'm pulling it down.

What can I do to make this work pretty smoothly, like it had before?

I had my furnace chimney cleaned a few years ago, and the sweep didn't
even suggest cleaning the fireplace chimney, and I didn't remember
until he was gone. They are the same size also!
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:46:47 -0400, mm
wrote:

Hi! I have a steel fireplace, 29 years old, with a round metal
chimney and a metal damper. I've used it may be 50 times. Now I'm
having trouble shutting the damper.

I forgot to say that I looked up at the damper and it's a round metal
disk with a pivot rod accross it in the middle, and on the side that
goes UP when the damper is open, about half way across that half is
attached a long rod that goes down the fireplace opening. That's the
control. Because the damper opens all the way to the point that the
round metal disk is vertical, pulling down doesn't cause much lateral
force, so the disk doesn't rotate on its pivot and it doesn't move at
all. If it were a lot bigger than 10 or 12 inches and I could get in
there, maybe I'd just put in something that kept the damper from
getting totally vertical, but I think it was built the way it is now,
so I think there's a better solution anyhow.
Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

Ask at a stove shop near you. I think they label themselves 'hearth
dealers' these days. They should have a high-temp lubricant that will help
you out for just a few bucks.

Keith

wrote:

[...]

Fireplace Damper Missing komobu Home Repair 3 November 13th 07 01:02 AM
Fireplace damper arjay Home Repair 5 August 25th 07 11:25 PM
fireplace damper removal johnboy50 Home Repair 2 June 16th 07 08:42 PM
Seal Fireplace Damper Buck Turgidson Home Repair 3 October 16th 06 06:12 PM
fireplace damper set to not close old dirtbeard Home Repair 7 March 17th 06 03:36 PM