Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old March 13th 08, 02:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2008
Posts: 2
Default Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

What is involved in adding water to my geothermal loop?

Can I just hook up a garden hose or do I need to have instruments
involved gauging pressure etc.?

I have seen it done both ways by heat/air professionals.

Thanks in advance.

Brett

  #2   Report Post  
Old March 13th 08, 02:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,638
Default Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

12oon wrote:
What is involved in adding water to my geothermal loop?

Can I just hook up a garden hose or do I need to have instruments
involved gauging pressure etc.?

I have seen it done both ways by heat/air professionals.


First, why would/do you need to add? There should be no need w/o a leak
so first need to find out where it's going.

Also, it's a glycol or other anti-freeze solution along w/ some other
conditioners so depending on how much, need appropriate additive(s) to
maintain proper freeze point, lubricity, corrosion inhibitors, etc., ...

IOW, its more than just adding tap water.

--
  #3   Report Post  
Old March 13th 08, 03:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2008
Posts: 2
Default Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

On Mar 13, 9:51*am, dpb wrote:
12oon wrote:
What is involved in adding water to my geothermal loop?


Can I just hook up a garden hose or do I need to have instruments
involved gauging pressure etc.?


I have seen it done both ways by heat/air professionals.


First, why would/do you need to add? *There should be no need w/o a leak
so first need to find out where it's going.

Also, it's a glycol or other anti-freeze solution along w/ some other
conditioners so depending on how much, need appropriate additive(s) to
maintain proper freeze point, lubricity, corrosion inhibitors, etc., ...

IOW, its more than just adding tap water.

--


Yes, I believe there is a leak. It seems it has to topped off every
year.

The HVAC pros have never added any additive. I live in OK by the way.

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about the unit.
  #4   Report Post  
Old March 13th 08, 04:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,638
Default Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

12oon wrote:
....

Yes, I believe there is a leak. It seems it has to topped off every
year.


Needless to say, that ain't right although if it is still small may limp
by but I'd expect a catastrophic failure down the road at some time.

The HVAC pros have never added any additive. I live in OK by the way.


Just because "the pros" haven't added anything doesn't mean they
shouldn't have done...

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about the unit.


What make/age? -- the Water Furnace we had in TN had a 20 or 25 year
warranty on the loop so I would have simply called the installer and
said "fix it". Is this buried horizontal loop, deep/well loop,
submerged pond/lake loop??? Who did the installation--these same folks
or somebody else?


--
  #5   Report Post  
Old March 14th 08, 01:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,638
Default Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

Bubba wrote:
....

You are giving out incorrect info. Most geothermal systems will
require being re-pressurized after about 1 year. ...


No, as you go on to say, as OP says, if the system needs re-filling
every year, there's a problem...

The Water Furnace system in 10 years never needed re-pressurizing.

--


  #6   Report Post  
Old April 13th 16, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2016
Posts: 1
Default Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

replying to 12oon, Randy wrote:
what PT port do you add the water IN or OUT

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...op-293700-.htm


  #7   Report Post  
Old April 13th 16, 07:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 21,094
Default Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 18:44:02 +0000, Randy
wrote:

Randy wrote:
what PT port do you add the water IN or OUT


Call the Facilities Dept, submit a _Work Order_ and let them handle
it. There must be something in the 'book' manual.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding water to small bar in garage conversion Alex Home Repair 13 November 28th 07 03:21 AM
Water from closed loop system drains black Jordan[_2_] Home Repair 2 October 11th 07 03:34 PM
Adding water shutoff with a water softener Adam Preble Home Repair 8 December 8th 05 12:23 PM
flexible loop water supply [email protected] UK diy 8 June 7th 05 05:10 PM
Adding main water shutoff Axial Home Repair 9 October 22nd 04 04:56 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017