DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Adding Water to Geothermal Loop (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/237653-adding-water-geothermal-loop.html)

12oon March 13th 08 02:35 PM

Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

What is involved in adding water to my geothermal loop?

Can I just hook up a garden hose or do I need to have instruments
involved gauging pressure etc.?

I have seen it done both ways by heat/air professionals.

Thanks in advance.

Brett

dpb March 13th 08 02:51 PM

12oon wrote:
What is involved in adding water to my geothermal loop?

Can I just hook up a garden hose or do I need to have instruments
involved gauging pressure etc.?

I have seen it done both ways by heat/air professionals.

First, why would/do you need to add? There should be no need w/o a leak
so first need to find out where it's going.

Also, it's a glycol or other anti-freeze solution along w/ some other
conditioners so depending on how much, need appropriate additive(s) to
maintain proper freeze point, lubricity, corrosion inhibitors, etc., ...

IOW, its more than just adding tap water.

12oon March 13th 08 03:08 PM

On Mar 13, 9:51*am, dpb wrote:
12oon wrote:
What is involved in adding water to my geothermal loop?

Can I just hook up a garden hose or do I need to have instruments
involved gauging pressure etc.?

I have seen it done both ways by heat/air professionals.

First, why would/do you need to add? *There should be no need w/o a leak
so first need to find out where it's going.

Also, it's a glycol or other anti-freeze solution along w/ some other
conditioners so depending on how much, need appropriate additive(s) to
maintain proper freeze point, lubricity, corrosion inhibitors, etc., ...

IOW, its more than just adding tap water.

--

Yes, I believe there is a leak. It seems it has to topped off every
year.

The HVAC pros have never added any additive. I live in OK by the way.

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about the unit.

dpb March 13th 08 04:39 PM

12oon wrote:

Yes, I believe there is a leak. It seems it has to topped off every
year.

Needless to say, that ain't right although if it is still small may limp
by but I'd expect a catastrophic failure down the road at some time.

The HVAC pros have never added any additive. I live in OK by the way.

Just because "the pros" haven't added anything doesn't mean they
shouldn't have done...

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about the unit.

What make/age? -- the Water Furnace we had in TN had a 20 or 25 year
warranty on the loop so I would have simply called the installer and
said "fix it". Is this buried horizontal loop, deep/well loop,
submerged pond/lake loop??? Who did the installation--these same folks
or somebody else?

dpb March 14th 08 01:19 AM

Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

Bubba wrote:

You are giving out incorrect info. Most geothermal systems will
require being re-pressurized after about 1 year. ...

No, as you go on to say, as OP says, if the system needs re-filling
every year, there's a problem...

The Water Furnace system in 10 years never needed re-pressurizing.

Randy[_11_] April 13th 16 07:44 PM

Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

replying to 12oon, Randy wrote:
what PT port do you add the water IN or OUT

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...op-293700-.htm

Oren[_2_] April 13th 16 07:54 PM

Adding Water to Geothermal Loop

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 18:44:02 +0000, Randy
wrote:

Randy wrote:
what PT port do you add the water IN or OUT

Call the Facilities Dept, submit a _Work Order_ and let them handle
it. There must be something in the 'book' manual.