Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Lanlord liable for tobacco smoke getting into my apt?

** NewsByte ** wrote:
wrote:
During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)


Check with the State Health Dept. if they have any regs or guidance on
this issue.

If you have forced air heating/cooling, you may be sharing the
ventilation with the lowlife tobacco-sucking addicts, hence the
noxious toxic smoke entering your apartment. If so, you could fight
back by injecting strong odors into the same system until the tobacco
addicts get a clue. In the past I've used concentrated essential oils
for such endeavors, such as Oil of Menthol, Peppermint, etc. Just a
few DROPS will fill the system with a strong pleasant scent.

For fun, you could dump an entire capful down the intake
as you leave the apartment every day, then sit outside and listen to
the maggots choking and complaining about the smell, even making their
eyes water. LOL!

You could contact a lawyer about filing a lawsuit. Some jurisdictions
have statutes that prevent others from interfering with your
"peaceable enjoyment" of your property, even if the actions of the other party
are
otherwise legal.


Good one!


  #2   Report Post  
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Lanlord liable for tobacco smoke getting into my apt?


"_ Prof. Jonez _" wrote in message
...
** NewsByte ** wrote:
wrote:
During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)


Check with the State Health Dept. if they have any regs or guidance on
this issue.

If you have forced air heating/cooling, you may be sharing the
ventilation with the lowlife tobacco-sucking addicts, hence the
noxious toxic smoke entering your apartment. If so, you could fight
back by injecting strong odors into the same system until the tobacco
addicts get a clue. In the past I've used concentrated essential oils
for such endeavors, such as Oil of Menthol, Peppermint, etc. Just a
few DROPS will fill the system with a strong pleasant scent.

For fun, you could dump an entire capful down the intake
as you leave the apartment every day, then sit outside and listen to
the maggots choking and complaining about the smell, even making their
eyes water.


You could try Ethyl-mercaptin (just kidding) or maybe essence of beer-fart.


  #3   Report Post  
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 42
Default Lanlord liable for tobacco smoke getting into my apt?

_ Prof. Jonez _ wrote:
** NewsByte ** wrote:
wrote:
During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)

Check with the State Health Dept. if they have any regs or guidance on
this issue.

If you have forced air heating/cooling, you may be sharing the
ventilation with the lowlife tobacco-sucking addicts, hence the
noxious toxic smoke entering your apartment. If so, you could fight
back by injecting strong odors into the same system until the tobacco
addicts get a clue. In the past I've used concentrated essential oils
for such endeavors, such as Oil of Menthol, Peppermint, etc. Just a
few DROPS will fill the system with a strong pleasant scent.

For fun, you could dump an entire capful down the intake
as you leave the apartment every day, then sit outside and listen to
the maggots choking and complaining about the smell, even making their
eyes water. LOL!

You could contact a lawyer about filing a lawsuit. Some jurisdictions
have statutes that prevent others from interfering with your
"peaceable enjoyment" of your property, even if the actions of the other party
are
otherwise legal.


Good one!


Actually dumb as a rock.. Smoking in a building that is not smoke free
is still legal in America. Also if there is shared air..Which is illegal
in new buildings but acceptable in older buildings by the edict of local
building authority. Well that alone should give you something to think
about. Consider your self lucky the person doesn't have intensely bad BO
and lives on a diet of constantly boiling cabbage. As for fighting back
by adding noxious odors to the system can get you a 3 day health
department sponsored eviction. I would suggest that you utilize an air
purifier while you look for a new smoke free building. If your under
lease.. Cut a deal with the Landlord by finding him/her a new renter
that is acceptable and is not antismoking. If you live in an Urban
area..you have more to fear from Car exhaust then from tobacco smoke.
Neither are good for you, but city air as a whole is full of nasty
stuff. You have read about the stuff that gets on your toothbrush just
for being in the same area that folks have their fecal emissions in?



  #4   Report Post  
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Lanlord liable for tobacco smoke getting into my apt?

Don Ocean wrote:

_ Prof. Jonez _ wrote:
** NewsByte ** wrote:
wrote:
During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)
Check with the State Health Dept. if they have any regs or guidance on
this issue.

If you have forced air heating/cooling, you may be sharing the
ventilation with the lowlife tobacco-sucking addicts, hence the
noxious toxic smoke entering your apartment. If so, you could fight
back by injecting strong odors into the same system until the tobacco
addicts get a clue. In the past I've used concentrated essential oils
for such endeavors, such as Oil of Menthol, Peppermint, etc. Just a
few DROPS will fill the system with a strong pleasant scent.

For fun, you could dump an entire capful down the intake
as you leave the apartment every day, then sit outside and listen to
the maggots choking and complaining about the smell, even making their
eyes water. LOL!

You could contact a lawyer about filing a lawsuit. Some jurisdictions
have statutes that prevent others from interfering with your
"peaceable enjoyment" of your property, even if the actions of the other
party are
otherwise legal.


Good one!


Actually dumb as a rock.. Smoking in a building that is not smoke free
is still legal in America.


However, smoking where human beings are breathing is inconsiderate behavior.
Keep on being inconsiderate, and we will keep on passing laws. And
enforcing them.

--
Bob Broughton
http://broughton.ca/
Vancouver, BC, Canada
"There is no rational, moral or economic argument for the continuation
of the manufacture, sale or use of smoking tobacco."
- Robert Starkey, http://smokefreerevolution.org/, 03/18/2007
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Lanlord liable for tobacco smoke getting into my apt?

Mincing Babs Broughton wrote:


However, smoking where human beings are breathing is inconsiderate behavior.
Keep on being inconsiderate . . .


So is trolling, you lunatic swish.


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,co.general
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Lanlord liable for tobacco smoke getting into my apt?

On Mar 12, 8:49*pm, Robert Broughton wrote:
Don Ocean wrote:
_ Prof. Jonez _ wrote:
** NewsByte ** wrote:
wrote:
* During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
* I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
* What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and *it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
* Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)
Check with the State Health Dept. if they have any regs or guidance on
this issue.


If you have forced air heating/cooling, you may be sharing the
ventilation with the lowlife tobacco-sucking addicts, hence the
noxious toxic smoke entering your apartment. If so, you could fight
back by injecting strong odors into the same system until the tobacco
addicts get a clue. In the past I've used concentrated essential oils
for such endeavors, such as Oil of Menthol, Peppermint, etc. Just a
few DROPS will fill the system with a strong pleasant scent.


For fun, you could dump an entire capful down the intake
as you leave the apartment every day, then sit outside and listen to
the maggots choking and complaining about the smell, even making their
eyes water. LOL!


You could contact a lawyer about filing a lawsuit. Some jurisdictions
have statutes that prevent others from interfering with your
"peaceable enjoyment" of your property, even if the actions of the other
party are
otherwise legal.


Good one!


Actually dumb as a rock.. Smoking in a building that is not smoke free
is still legal in America.


However, smoking where human beings are breathing is inconsiderate behavior.

  #7   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,575
Default Lanlord liable for tobacco smoke getting into my apt?

clipped

Actually dumb as a rock.. Smoking in a building that is not smoke free
is still legal in America.



However, smoking where human beings are breathing is inconsiderate behavior.
Keep on being inconsiderate, and we will keep on passing laws. And
enforcing them.



I feel the same way about wood-burning fireplaces. What a stink!
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lanlord liable for tobacco smoke getting into my apt? [email protected] Home Repair 63 March 16th 08 02:02 PM
post-painting tobacco smoke abatement Kyle Home Repair 21 August 11th 06 09:18 PM
tobacco film (yikk) Stormin Mormon Home Repair 3 May 25th 05 09:35 PM
TOBACCO CURING KILN J T Woodworking 5 May 9th 05 01:09 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"