Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Measure interior floor area

When I bought this 40-yr old 2-storey house (here in Canada) a couple of
years ago, was told the floor area is 1800 sq ft. Lately I measured from
inside wall-to-wall for getting estimate for attic insulation, it's smaller
than that (less than 1750). I think this is the "interior floor area" used
for "house for sale". Is there a standard way for the measurement?

Thanks,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 12:13*pm, "John61" wrote:
When I bought this 40-yr old 2-storey house (here in Canada) a couple of
years ago, was told the floor area is 1800 sq ft. Lately I measured from
inside wall-to-wall for getting estimate for attic insulation, it's smaller
than that (less than 1750). *I think this is the "interior floor area" used
for "house for sale". Is there a standard way for the measurement?

Thanks,

John

That's about a 3% difference. Without knowing any details, that could
be attrbuted to a number of things, the most likely one being a bit of
embellishment in the listing. "Spacious 1800 sg ft colonial" sounds
better than "Spacious 1745 sg ft colonial".

BTW, why would you measure the living area floor space to get an
estimate for attic insulation? Why not just measure the attic floor
space?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 12:13 pm, "John61" wrote:
When I bought this 40-yr old 2-storey house (here in Canada) a couple of
years ago, was told the floor area is 1800 sq ft. Lately I measured from
inside wall-to-wall for getting estimate for attic insulation, it's smaller
than that (less than 1750). I think this is the "interior floor area" used
for "house for sale". Is there a standard way for the measurement?

In my area, "finished square feet" is measured on the outside of the
house. That doesn't make sense since inside the walls is not livable
space. It's probably done that way to make the tax assessor's life
easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 12:13 pm, "John61" wrote:
When I bought this 40-yr old 2-storey house (here in Canada) a couple of
years ago, was told the floor area is 1800 sq ft. Lately I measured from
inside wall-to-wall for getting estimate for attic insulation, it's smaller
than that (less than 1750). I think this is the "interior floor area" used
for "house for sale". Is there a standard way for the measurement?

Floor area can be interpreted a lot of different ways - none of them
are 'wrong', just a surprise if you assume one thing and the lister
meant another. In architecture and zoning circles a FAR - floor area
ratio - refers to the ratio of building area to lot area, and the
measurement is taken from the outside perimeter of the building. It
is no surprise that the seller or real estate agent used the largest
possible number.