Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

Default Lanlord liable for tobacco smoke getting into my apt?

During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

in some states you could sue. I would advise them of pproblem and see
what they do

On Mar 12, 5:21*am, Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
* *During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
* *I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
* *What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and *it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
* *Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)

See what your lease says. If there's a local landlord tenants
organization, ask them what they recommend. I ended up dealing with the
same problem by moving.

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

Quit your bitching.

please excuse this poster for their blathering........ obviously a
smoker. and its now known that smoking leads to tons of bad health
effects including alzhiemers and dimentia.....

people sue, and your landlord should either fix it or release you from
your lease

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking

On Mar 12, 3:30*am, wrote:
* *During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
* *I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
* *What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and *it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
* *Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)

Have you tried whining to your landlord rather than the web-world?
Maybe some of the geeks who troll here will confront your landlord for
you. That is if you can find one with a spine. Check your local
hardware store for gas-mask prices. They get paid to be pestered, we
don't. LOL!

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

wrote in message
During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)

Do you have a no smoking policy on the lease agreement for the apartment
complex? Do your neighbors complain about the smoke too, maybe the health
department could do something about it and fine the landlord for health or
building code violation.

Would something like this work for you?
http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-30730-Q...5325485&sr=8-3

Smoke is getting into you area because the smokers apartment has more
positive air pressure than you space. You need to have forced filtered
outside air to keep your space at a more positive pressure than the smokers.
Houses are cheap now, perhaps good time to buy and get away from the
apartment environment.

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

wrote in message
During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)

Buy a house then your won't have a smoke problem at all unless you burn
supper

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

wrote:
During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)

Check with the State Health Dept. if they have any regs or guidance on
this issue.

If you have forced air heating/cooling, you may be sharing the ventilation
with the lowlife tobacco-sucking addicts, hence the noxious toxic smoke
entering your apartment. If so, you could fight back by injecting strong
odors into the same system until the tobacco addicts get a clue. In the past
I've used concentrated essential oils for such endeavors, such as Oil of
Menthol, Peppermint, etc. Just a few DROPS will fill the system with
a strong pleasant scent.

For fun, you could dump an entire capful down the intake
as you leave the apartment every day, then sit outside and listen to the
maggots choking and complaining about the smell, even making their
eyes water. LOL!

You could contact a lawyer about filing a lawsuit. Some jurisdictions
have statutes that prevent others from interfering with your "peaceable
enjoyment"
of your property, even if the actions of the other party are otherwise legal.

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

On Mar 12, 3:30 am, wrote:
During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)

I'm sorry your landlord has been unresponsive; however, it sounds as
though either your health is very delicate or you are personally
hypersensitive to smoke. If it is the former, in my limited experience
as a landlord, it is outside the norm of what a landlord would be
legally obligated to deal with. But a good landlord should be willing
to work with you to find some mutually agreeable compromise. If it is
just that you really, really hate any whiff of tobacco smoke (I'm with
you on that!) and work yourself into a migraine or asthma attack over
it, there's little your landlord can, or should, do.

Check the terms of your lease to see the extent of your landlord's
responsibility to you. It may be there's a clause in there that
obligates her or him to address this issue. Also, if it's a
condominium complex, you should speak with the association to see what
their terms of living are, especially regarding obligations to
neighbors. Some associations are restrictive enough that they ban
smoking both inside units and on balconies, or set limits on how close
smoking can occur to the building(s).

Ultimately, if this is as big an issue as you indicate, you can
terminate your lease early and move to a place where there's a lesser
risk of smokers. (You won't find a place where there's NO risk of
smokers, as you can't ban people smoking outside.) You may be
obligated to surrender your security deposit or some such. Or your
landlord may sympathize and you can work out a compromise.

Are you under the care of a doctor for these migraines and asthma
attacks? If so, that may be grounds for early termination of the
lease, but again, ***read your lease carefully and consult with a
professional (lawyer, leasing agent, etc.) before taking any
action***.

And if you are under care of a doctor, going forward you should have a
letter from your doctor with you when you consider moving into a
place, ask if they can adapt to or meet your specific health needs,
and make sure that agreement is in writing as a part of the lease.
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

On Mar 12, 2:31�pm, Kyle wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:30 am, wrote:

[...]

clearly in this day and age smole shouldnt be allowed to leak into
other units.
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

wrote:
On Mar 12, 2:31?pm, Kyle wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:30 am, wrote:

[...]

No more than any other toxic, noxious fumes ...

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

On Mar 12, 2:30*am, wrote:
* *During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
* *I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
* *What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and *it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
* *Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)

If you dont like the apt Move, and take a few months with you, he may
sue he my win or loose.

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,alt.hvac

On Mar 12, 5:29*pm, "_ Prof. Jonez _" wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 12, 2:31?pm, Kyle wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:30 am, wrote:

[...]

say's
Lease's should contain crybabies claus..

Toss out the crybabies and $2,000.00 penalty
for lease break.

Sure a landlord is gonna write you a lease that
creates a lawsuit for the smell of a garbage truck
squeezing the juice, a skunk ****ing, or exhaust fumes
from engines....the neighbors cooking stinky food etc.

In your ****ing dreams.!

Then you wake up and face reality and leave dreamland.

All smoker should leave the complex for 1 asshole...
That is probably a non~smoker cheapskate anyhow.

What a landloard should do is raise their rent $250.00
per month per complaint.

Any other pot smoker odd balls should be kicked to the gutter
too. Some cities will lock down and board up the property
for illegal drug use.

Apartments aren't public places. Just public housing are.

Maybe that's where you should go.?

or home to your mama for a good cry, asshole.

Hey therer's an idea....

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers

On Mar 12, 6:24*pm, Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article
,
*The BIG N wrote:

On Mar 12, 3:30*am, wrote:
[...]

The guy clearly said in the first paragraph, "I called the landlord" so
your ability to read is as stunted as your ability to count.- Hide quoted text -

Posting with x no archive only works as long as there no response
to you post. So as you will see you posting abuse will still show
to the webmasters.

So get a new plan, that one ain't gonna work.

Neither will the time changes in your posts as
Ann Hart has already discovered.

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking

On Mar 12, 6:24*pm, Shawn Hirn wrote:

The guy clearly said in the first paragraph, "I called the landlord" so
your ability to read is as stunted as your ability to count.

Count this - 41,642. Then this - 301. Silly Doofus.
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,alt.hvac

Smoker trash need to be forced to livein an airtight area and kill
each other. No one should have to smell that crap formthe garbage
that need to always suck on something. Why are they called fags in
England?

wrote:
On Mar 12, 2:31?pm, Kyle wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:30 am, wrote:

[...]

Hey therer's an idea....- Hide quoted text -

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking
RF RF is offline

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article
,
The BIG N wrote:

On Mar 12, 3:30 am, wrote:
[...]

Obviously that's what his smoking has done to him and I
guess he deserves it.

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

"_ Prof. Jonez _" wrote in message
On Mar 12, 2:31?pm, Kyle wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:30 am, wrote:

[...]

Your assuming that the landlord gives a crap.

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking

On Mar 12, 12:31 pm, Tony Sivori wrote:
wrote:
please excuse this poster for their blathering........ obviously a
smoker. and its now known that smoking leads to tons of bad health
effects including alzhiemers and dimentia.....

people sue, and your landlord should either fix it or release you from
your lease

[followups set to remove smoking newsgroups]

The original poster is a troll. The OP's complaint is cross posted to
smoking newsgroups. Pretty much like asking for a good dog recipe in
alt.cooking, crossposted to rec.pets.dogs.

--
Tony Sivori

Did you look at those two groups to see what they talk about? I only
added those groups because when I searched google there was a lot of
discussion there by non-smokers complaining about smoke, and smokers
that replied were not telling them to go away, but were adding to the
discussion.
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

On Mar 12, 4:21 am, Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)

See what your lease says. If there's a local landlord tenants
organization, ask them what they recommend. I ended up dealing with the
same problem by moving.

The lease says no smoking indoors. There's an addendum that prohibits
"noxious or unusual odors generated in such quantities that they
permeate to other units or the common elements and become annoyances
to other unit owners."

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

Would something like this work for you?http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-30730-Q...-Three-Speed/d...

Smoke is getting into you area because the smokers apartment has more
positive air pressure than you space. You need to have forced filtered
outside air to keep your space at a more positive pressure than the smokers.
Houses are cheap now, perhaps good time to buy and get away from the
apartment environment.

The lease says no smoking indoors. There's an addendum that prohibits
"noxious or unusual odors generated in such quantities that they
permeate to other units or the common elements and become annoyances
to other unit owners."

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,alt.hvac

wrote:
On Mar 12, 2:31?pm, Kyle wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:30 am, wrote:

[...]

ahh smoker wake up.

tobacco smopke is full of carcinogens, and second hand smoke a known
health risk.

landlord should be required to have healthy building.

easiest way is to require by law smokers to live in sealed areas,
landlords can supply thjem for a extra 500 bucks a month rent.

that shouldnt be a problem a 2 pack a day smoker around here spends
over $2300, might as well set fire to the money.

tobacco prices should increase to pay health insurance costs for
smokers....

as is we all pay and that isnt right

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

On Mar 12, 6:41*pm, ransley wrote:
On Mar 12, 2:30*am, wrote:

* *During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
* *I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
* *What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and *it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
* *Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)

If you dont like the apt Move, and take a few months with you, he may
sue he my win or loose.

Presumably your contact with the landlord so far has been by phone. I
would now write a letter outlining the problem, when it started and
how you've contacted the landlord and gotten no response. Make it
clear that the lease you signed says that smoking is not allowed and
you believe smoke is coming from another apartment in the building.
Send the letter certified to the landlord and anyone else, like a mgt
company, etc, with a receipt of delivery to prove they got it.

Then, if it isn't satisfactorily dealt with and you have to move, you
have good documentation of what happened and when. If you find it
necessary to move before the lease is up, make sure to send that
letter the same way, giving 30 days notice. They may refuse to
return the security deposit and go after you for the remainder of the
lease, but I would think you would have a good chance of prevailing in
court.
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

On Mar 12, 2:30�am, wrote:

[...]

court.- Hide quoted text -

The OP could check and try to find where the stink is entering and
sealing caulking etc any holes. theres a smoke stick used for such
detection.

caulking expanding foam etc might help/

If the building owner pays for heat you culd iinstall a tiny muffin
fan in a window blowing in a computer fan. this will slightly
pressurize your unit so air leaves rather than enters.

that only works if you dont have and flues like furnace and hot water
tank. they would exhaust the air pressure so it would fail.

we need federal clean air laws, prohibiting smoking in any place it
bothers others and in private homes and vehicles when children are
present.

claiming second hand smoke is safe is a rerun of smoking is
safe...........

same false line re run.......

Theres a simple solution, add a buck a year federal tax on tobacco,
first year its a dollar, year 5 five bucks year a hefty 10 bucks per
pack.........

tobacco industry needs to die just like so many it has killed!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

smoking around childern is child abuse pure and simple!!!
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

On Mar 12, 2:30�am, wrote:

[...]

Maybe we should do the same for the automotive industry, and the medical
field, and..............

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

Whoever it is that is steasling and using my company name, please cease and
desist. "Noon-Air" is a registered trade mark, and the last I heard,
identity theft is a FEDERAL crime.

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..

On Mar 12, 2:30�am, wrote:

[...]

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

On Mar 13, 1:26Â*pm, "Noon-Air" wrote:
Whoever it is that is steasling and using my company name, please cease and
desist. "Noon-Air" is a registered trade mark, and the last I heard,
identity theft is a FEDERAL crime.

"Noon-Air" wrote in message

. ..

On Mar 12, 2:30�am, wrote:

[...]

field, and..............- Hide quoted text -

I think it was a system glitch, i wrote all but the last line in
question
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

by jug of refrigerant R-134a and feed it slowly in to apartment
that doing excessive smoking you will see how quickly will
they stop, try it you could be surprise.
Tony

wrote in message
During the last three weeks tobacco smoke has been getting into my
apartment. The doors and windows are closed. I called the landlord
(apt/condos - different landlords...), and they won't even send
someone to see how this is happening.
I am extremely allergic to tobacco, and it causes migraines at
levels where you can barely smell it, and asthma when it is more
noticable. It is more than noticable...
What can I do? There was no problem during the first several months
here. I guess some neighbor has moved in that smokes, and it's
getting in through the ventilation or through doors/windows that are
not properly/completely sealed.
Thanks for any help or advise. (The state is NC.)

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 22:54:35 GMT, "Old & Grumpy"
wrote:

y jug of refrigerant R-134a and feed it slowly in to apartment
that doing excessive smoking you will see how quickly will
they stop, try it you could be surprise.

You are an absolute idiot. (ID-TEN ((10))-T) error)) Write it down and
look it up!

I would shoot you dead for trying this or even after the fact.

Don not follow this advice!

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

"Old & Grumpy & Deranged" wrote:

by jug of refrigerant R-134a and feed it slowly in to apartment
that doing excessive smoking you will see how quickly will
they stop, try it you could be surprise.
Tony

Hmmm . . . these threads sure do bring 'em out o' the woodwork.
Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..
Whoever it is that is steasling and using my company name, please cease
and desist. "Noon-Air" is a registered trade mark, and the last I heard,
identity theft is a FEDERAL crime.

Maybe, maybe not. If you are registered and trademarked as a company name,
it may well be possible to use the same name for another purpose. Just like
Ford is an automobile company and a model agency and both legal.

Then there is the Blaze of Noon Air Mail pilots.

Or the dry noon-air
http://derreisende.soup.io/post/9297...nd-the-buzzing
Or the noon air in The New Orleans Medical and Surgical Journal in reference
to the history of alligators
Don't for get the Noon Air Raid Siren
Or George Noon of Air Products in England

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"Noon-Air" wrote in message
. ..
Whoever it is that is steasling and using my company name, please cease
and desist. "Noon-Air" is a registered trade mark, and the last I heard,
identity theft is a FEDERAL crime.

Maybe, maybe not. If you are registered and trademarked as a company
name, it may well be possible to use the same name for another purpose.
Just like Ford is an automobile company and a model agency and both
legal.

Then there is the Blaze of Noon Air Mail pilots.

Or the dry noon-air
http://derreisende.soup.io/post/9297...nd-the-buzzing
Or the noon air in The New Orleans Medical and Surgical Journal in
reference to the history of alligators
Don't for get the Noon Air Raid Siren
Or George Noon of Air Products in England

Here's a tip...
Check the posting records of Shawn Hirn
the message ID numbers will point to the culprit.
just reply back if you see it....

troll reports to Temple U.
Ann W Hart.

Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair,alt.smokers,can.talk.smoking,alt.hvac

Old & Grumpy wrote:
by jug of refrigerant R-134a and feed it slowly in to apartment
that doing excessive smoking you will see how quickly will
they stop, try it you could be surprise.
Tony

Right.. Do something illegal to the persons homestead. Thats the
stupidest thing I have ever heard. Good way to get your ass shot
off in this end of the country. Use propane instead and the survivors
can move to a Motel.
;-(