Posted to alt.home.repair

Default help me solve my baseboard heater mystery.

Hello All, now that my girlfriend and I are homeowners, we're starting
to run into some mysteries/problems.

So we've been in the house for a little over 2 weeks now, mostly been
painting/cleaning etc. Up until about 3 days ago, ALL our heaters were
working perfectly, however, now 4 of them have stopped working
altogether.

The information:

The 4 heaters are all listed on the same circuit on the breaker panel
- well its two switches on the panel, connected by a small metal
piece, such that they flip on and off together. Both switches say 20
on them (im assuming this stands for 20amps).

2 of these heaters are on the first floor, 2 are on the second floor:

2 of the heaters are standard baseboard heater types, one is longer
than the other (largest on main, smaller in half bath on second
floor).

1 of the heaters is a ConvectAir (on 2nd floor) - appears newer than
the others (side note: I originally discovered the problem because I
noticed the red power light on this heater had gone off)

The last heater is something I've never seen before. Its called a
"Chromalux" , its basically a heating coil with a fan to blow the air
around (this is in our bathroom - first floor). This looks old and I
would like to replace it with a newer heater, but for now I would just
like to get some heat in there again.

The Questions:

so question #1: I pried off the front of the two baseboard heaters,
and under CSA Approved stamp it lists it as 277volts and 17amps. I
thought heaters only used 110 or 220volts?

question #2: I used a multimeter on both the baseboard heaters and the
chromalux, where the voltage fluctuated between 109 and 112ish.
Because I was seeing a voltage, does this mean that the breaker in the
panel is functioning okay? I thought it a little odd that all 4 of
these heaters which stopped working were located on the same circuit
but the breaker did not appear to have tripped.

question 3: all though the two baseboard heaters have a voltage going
to them, there is no power light on the convectair heater, what do you
suppose that means?

I know I'll eventually call an electrician if this can't be figured
out, but I wouldn't mind getting my hands a little dirty first, I'm
enjoying learning about all the odds and ends of being a homeowner.

question #4: assuming worst case scenario that all 4 have to be
replaced, what should I budget for?

thanks for all your input in advance,

cheers,

- Charlie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in message
[...]

The 277 volt heaters could have been a leftover from some 3 phase
applications that are normally used in large plants that have 480 volt 3
phase in use. They may work ok on 230 volts with a slightly reduced power
level and heat output.

How are you measuring the 120 volts ? Sounds like you are going from the
ground to the heater wires. You should be going across the heater
terminals.

I would guess that either one of the braker sides tripped or you have a bad
connection somewhere.
Cut the braker off and back on to see if one of them may have tripped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in message
[...]

There is no way that several heaters went bad simultaneously. The common
denominator is the power source. I too, believe there is a problem with one
leg of the 240 volt feed. Open the panel, and using a multi meter test
across the two terminals of the circuit breaker. If you get no reading, you
have a bad breaker. If you get a 240 volt reading, you need to look for an
open circuit in one of the thermostat junction boxes

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie wrote:

[...]

try flipping the dual breaker OFF - wait a minute - and then ON.
one could have tripped and the other is still set. this happens
sometimes when the link between the handles is worn out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

How do I go about checking the breaker itself with my multimeter? I
assume I have to unscrew the cover to get at the wires underneath?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie wrote:
[...]

Yes, you do and if your not comfortable working in a live panel, DON'T

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie wrote:
[...]

I tested the voltage on my breaker, it was 110 on one wire (to
ground), 110 on the other wire to ground, but 0 in between both wires.

When I tested on a working breaker on the other side of the board, it
was again 110, and 110, but 220 between them.

Does this mean the breaker should be replaced?

cheers,
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in message

Charlie wrote:

I tested the voltage on my breaker, it was 110 on one wire (to
ground), 110 on the other wire to ground, but 0 in between both wires.

When I tested on a working breaker on the other side of the board, it
was again 110, and 110, but 220 between them.

Does this mean the breaker should be replaced?

Probably it is bad and needs replacing. One more check to confirm this is
to check across the breakers. Using a voltmeter, they sould read zero. If
you are still getting 110 on each one , then you should get zero volts
across them (well maybe one or two volts may show up on some meters) when
they are on. If one has 110 across it, then it is bad and should be
replaced.

If this was a new instalation and not one that had been working, then it may
have been both brakers hooked to the same 'phase' instead of one to one
phase and the other breaker hooked to the other phase.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in message

Charlie wrote:
[...]

Yes, one leg isn't passing current. You should get 240 volts, like you did
on the other side

Hydronic elecric baseboard heater vs standard electric baseboard heater John Sevinsky Home Repair 7 March 5th 14 12:13 AM
baseboard heater j Electronics Repair 6 November 27th 07 10:18 PM
baseboard heater [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 19th 06 07:57 PM
help solve this mystery RB Home Repair 14 May 23rd 06 05:36 AM
Solve the gas water heater mystery Paul in Boise Home Repair 11 February 16th 05 02:31 AM