Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Falling trees from taking them down

Terry wrote:
What kind of insurance is available for having trees cut down?

I have a house that I inherited from my parents. I have been renting
it for over 10 years with no insurance. No one is currently living in
the house but we may let my niece move in.

It is in a place that is going commercial, so the land is worth more
without the house than with the small house.

There are pine trees that are at least 50 year old and very high.

I have a guy that says he will climb the trees and cut them for free
just for the wood.

I plan to ask if he has insurance, but have not yet. If it turns out
that he has no insurance what happens if a tree falls on neighbors
property?

Why are you contemplating this project?

Leave the trees alone if they're not bothering anybody.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
What kind of insurance is available for having trees cut down?

I have a house that I inherited from my parents. I have been renting
it for over 10 years with no insurance. No one is currently living in
the house but we may let my niece move in.

It is in a place that is going commercial, so the land is worth more
without the house than with the small house.

There are pine trees that are at least 50 year old and very high.

I have a guy that says he will climb the trees and cut them for free
just for the wood.

I plan to ask if he has insurance, but have not yet. If it turns out
that he has no insurance what happens if a tree falls on neighbors
property?

At least liability insurance and property damage. If he has employees he
should have workman's comp as well. Just ask him to have his insurance
agent send you an insurance certificate made out to the property owner and
property address before he proceeds. This is a reasonable request of anyone
doing work for you. You should also check with the town to see if any type
of permit is required.

Anything can happen if a tree falls on someone else's property. Some
neighbors will immediately call a lawyer and sue your tush. Others may
settle over a few cans of beer. If a human gets hurt your life will never
be the same. The polite thing to do would be to alert your neighbors
concerning the loud chainsaw they will be hearing for several hours or days.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Mar 11, 10:26*pm, Terry wrote:
What kind of insurance is available for having trees cut down?

I have a house that I inherited from my parents. *I have been renting
it for over 10 years with no insurance. *No one is currently living in
the house but we may let my niece move in.

It is in a place that is going commercial, so the land is worth more
without the house than with the small house.

There are pine trees that are at least 50 year old and very high.

I have a guy that says he will climb the trees and cut them for free
just for the wood.

I plan to ask if he has insurance, but have not yet. *If it turns out
that he has no insurance what happens if a tree falls on neighbors
property?

I'd be more concerned about the guy who's cutting the trees down. If
he's not paying worker's comp premiums and he gets hurt your ****ed.
Without any insurance he will own your empty house, the land and
perhaps everything else you own when he sues you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim" wrote in message

I have a guy that says he will climb the trees and cut them for free
just for the wood.

I plan to ask if he has insurance, but have not yet. If it turns out
that he has no insurance what happens if a tree falls on neighbors
property?

I'd be more concerned about the guy who's cutting the trees down. If
he's not paying worker's comp premiums and he gets hurt your ****ed.
Without any insurance he will own your empty house, the land and
perhaps everything else you own when he sues you.

*************************************

Why would he pay Workman's Comp? He is just a guy that will cut the trees
down for the wood, not a business. WC is for employees, not individual wood
scavengers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:32:54 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Terry wrote:
What kind of insurance is available for having trees cut down?

I have a house that I inherited from my parents. I have been renting
it for over 10 years with no insurance. No one is currently living in
the house but we may let my niece move in.

It is in a place that is going commercial, so the land is worth more
without the house than with the small house.

There are pine trees that are at least 50 year old and very high.

I have a guy that says he will climb the trees and cut them for free
just for the wood.

I plan to ask if he has insurance, but have not yet. If it turns out
that he has no insurance what happens if a tree falls on neighbors
property?

Why are you contemplating this project?

Leave the trees alone if they're not bothering anybody.

Because it is in Georgia and it is tornado time. I wouldn't want to
live under those tall trees and I don't expect my niece to either.

I have never heard of someone getting home owners insurance for a few
days, but that is what I need.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

Contract with a tree removal company to take the tree down. Deal only
with a tree removal company that has insurance. Some people recommend
you require the company to *show you* a policy they have obtained from
their liability insurance company covering their work on your property.

After the tree is down, maybe let your guy harvest it for firewood.

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pam Pam is offline

On Mar 11, 7:26*pm, Terry wrote:
What kind of insurance is available for having trees cut down?

I have a house that I inherited from my parents. *I have been renting
it for over 10 years with no insurance. *No one is currently living in
the house but we may let my niece move in.

It is in a place that is going commercial, so the land is worth more
without the house than with the small house.

There are pine trees that are at least 50 year old and very high.

I have a guy that says he will climb the trees and cut them for free
just for the wood.

I plan to ask if he has insurance, but have not yet. *If it turns out
that he has no insurance what happens if a tree falls on neighbors
property?

Hi, The man in question is a sheriff, I will ask him today about all
these concerns but I am sure he has himself insured, he does this as a
side job so I am sure he knows the laws and libility in the town. He
has already talked to me about the neighbors, because the trees are on
the line they did not want to share in the expence of having them
removed it is a reality company. So I have found someone in an add in
the paper who cuts timber for the price he will get for the timber.
Thanks, Pam
Terry's sister
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 7:33�am, Pam wrote:
On Mar 11, 7:26�pm, Terry wrote:

[...]

� � Terry's sister- Hide quoted text -

home with no homeowners insurance thats about to be occupied
again.......

lets say a visitor sales guy selling replacement windows trips on the
homes sidewalk and gets hurt. he can sue you for mega bucks, and since
you say the property is more valuable as commercial land the victim
can end up owning your property..........

get homeowners, to protecyt the owners
Posted to alt.home.repair

Often trees are take down from the top. Climb up with a chain saw cutting
branches as you go then cut off top sections working your way down. Kinda
scary watching them do it but that way no large pieces fall. If he is
proposing to cut the whole tree at once, be sure he is insured in case the
tree decides to fall the wrong way.
"Terry" wrote in message
What kind of insurance is available for having trees cut down?

I have a house that I inherited from my parents. I have been renting
it for over 10 years with no insurance. No one is currently living in
the house but we may let my niece move in.

It is in a place that is going commercial, so the land is worth more
without the house than with the small house.

There are pine trees that are at least 50 year old and very high.

I have a guy that says he will climb the trees and cut them for free
just for the wood.

I plan to ask if he has insurance, but have not yet. If it turns out
that he has no insurance what happens if a tree falls on neighbors
property?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Insurance varies from state to state, and usenet is never a reliable
source for information on this subject, so you should talk to an
insurance agent.

I suspect you cannot get homeowners insurance on this property for two
reasons:
1. It is not occupied and a common feature of homeowner policies is
that they require the property to be occupied, other than for short
times, such as when you take a vacation.
2. Homeowners insurance is sold to people who own and live in the
property. That ain't you. If you are renting the property, or letting
someone else use it, you need the type of insurance landlords get.

As to your question, if you let the man cut the wood, and he doesn't
have suited insurance, anyone who suffers injury or damage would sue
both of you, and if he doesn't have insurance, he probably doesn't have
much to pay a judgment, so you end up holding the whole stick, which
means they can go after all your assets, not just the property you mention.

I'm not pimping for the insurance industry, but I think you really
should talk to an agent about getting some coverage. There are plenty
of things that can go wrong even if the trees are not a problem. If you
can't afford insurance, you should probably sell the property.

Terry wrote:
What kind of insurance is available for having trees cut down?

I have a house that I inherited from my parents. I have been renting
it for over 10 years with no insurance. No one is currently living in
the house but we may let my niece move in.

It is in a place that is going commercial, so the land is worth more
without the house than with the small house.

There are pine trees that are at least 50 year old and very high.

I have a guy that says he will climb the trees and cut them for free
just for the wood.

I plan to ask if he has insurance, but have not yet. If it turns out
that he has no insurance what happens if a tree falls on neighbors
property?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
What kind of insurance is available for having trees cut down?

I have a house that I inherited from my parents. �I have been renting
it for over 10 years with no insurance. �No one is currently living in
the house but we may let my niece move in.

It is in a place that is going commercial, so the land is worth more
without the house than with the small house.

There are pine trees that are at least 50 year old and very high.

I have a guy that says he will climb the trees and cut them for free
just for the wood.

I plan to ask if he has insurance, but have not yet. �If it turns out
that he has no insurance what happens if a tree falls on neighbors
property?- Hide quoted text -

you can get landlord insurance, it covers the structure and liability
if someone gets hurt.

doesnt cover the contents. but with a family member moving in its a
gray area insurance wise.

homeowners is likely cheaper than landlord plus tenant insurance, best
to ask a agent
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
[...]

days, but that is what I need.- Hide quoted text -

Because it is in Georgia and it is tornado time. I wouldn't want
to live under those tall trees and I don't expect my niece to either

But you had no problem letting the renters live under those tall trees
for 10 years? Nice!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cutting down trees is one of the most dangerous occupations there is!

Climbing the tree to "top it" or cut it down is even more dangerous,
although this can safely be done by tree professionals who have the proper
training, equipment, personal protective equipment (PPE), and assistance on
the ground from trained helpers.

A professional who can do this safely is called a "certified arborist". They
work for tree businesses which have all the right training and equipment
plus tons of insurance.

The safest way to do this is with a large "bucket truck". With this truck,
you can get *above* and *away* from a branch you are going to cut high up on
the tree. When it falls, it will fall away from you. Additionally when these
trees are near homes, long ropes are tied to each branch being cut and each
branch is safely lowered to the ground insuring no damage to nearby
property.

So far as the sheriff, I would not expect such a person to be properly
trained in such matters nor would I expect such a person to have much
knowledge of civil law, liability, worker injuries, etc. I would expect such
a person to have extensive knowledge of criminal law which is another
matter.

And how would you feel if a person working up in your tree was injured or
killed doing this work for you? Might want to protect such persons from
themselves unless they have been trained to do this work...

Man Killed While Trimming Tree...

Tree Injuries and Fatalities...
http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Chain Saw Injury Statistics...
http://www.elvex.com/facts08.htm

Chainsaw accidents...
http://www.google.com/search?num=20&...nsaw+accidents

"Terry" wrote in message
What kind of insurance is available for having trees cut down?

I have a house that I inherited from my parents. I have been renting
it for over 10 years with no insurance. No one is currently living in
the house but we may let my niece move in.

It is in a place that is going commercial, so the land is worth more
without the house than with the small house.

There are pine trees that are at least 50 year old and very high.

I have a guy that says he will climb the trees and cut them for free
just for the wood.

I plan to ask if he has insurance, but have not yet. If it turns out
that he has no insurance what happens if a tree falls on neighbors
property?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Man Killed While Trimming Tree...http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...07/03/29/AR200...

"Terry" �wrote in message
What kind of insurance is available for having trees cut down?

I have a house that I inherited from my parents. �I have been renting
it for over 10 years with no insurance. �No one is currently living in
the house but we may let my niece move in.

It is in a place that is going commercial, so the land is worth more
without the house than with the small house.

There are pine trees that are at least 50 year old and very high.

I have a guy that says he will climb the trees and cut them for free
just for the wood.

I plan to ask if he has insurance, but have not yet. �If it turns out
that he has no insurance what happens if a tree falls on neighbors
property?- Hide quoted text -

dont panic, my neighbor has climbed tons of trees, and a expert at it.
drops trees exactly where they need to go.

if everyone who did anything was required to have insurance costs
would skyrocket.

heck a handyman doing some plumbing could do a lot of damage

or just hanging a picture anyone could hit a power line or water line
and cause a disaster.

i would be more concerned with a stranger getting hurt by accident on
your property and suing .......... its a bigger risk

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 05:33:47 -0700 (PDT), Pam
wrote:

Hi, The man in question is a sheriff, I will ask him today about all
these concerns but I am sure he has himself insured,

I would never assume someone is insured just because he's a sheriff.
Get whatever they say is proof.

he does this as a
side job so I am sure he knows the laws and libility in the town. He

Familiarity breeds contempt. For some people, they think they won;'t
make mistakes and don't need insurance. I tend to be like that, but I
don't do physical work for other people. Or they think they kno;w the
ins and outs of insurance, and don't need it.

has already talked to me about the neighbors, because the trees are on
the line they did not want to share in the expence of having them
removed it is a reality company. So I have found someone in an add in
the paper who cuts timber for the price he will get for the timber.
Thanks, Pam
Terry's sister

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" �wrote in message
[...]

your property and suing .......... its a bigger risk- Hide quoted text -

I agree with hallerb that the owner of the property needs a policy on
the property without regard to the tree cutting issue. Say some old
lady comes over to visit your relative who is the tenant. She trips
on a step that is broken, etc. and winds up with $50K in hospital
bills or worse. With insurance, as the landlord, you are covered.

Tree cutting down question is a tougher call. One definite show
stopper would be if there is any potential for any damage to be done
to anything significant on the neighbors property. For example, if a
tree limb could fall on the neighbors house, as opposed to just an
empty grass yard, that would be a show stopper for me.

If I were going to allow someone to do this, at the very least I'd do
3 things:

1 - Get permanent insurance in place.

2 - Consult with a lawyer for an opinion and at the very least have
the indicidual who is the tree cutter sign a waiver form that he has
no employees, is doing it himself with no pay in return for the wood,
he waives all rights to hold you responsible for any injuries or
damages, etc.

3 - Since it was stated that some of the trees are shared trees on a
property line, unless I knew that party very well, I'd get a written
OK from them that it's OK to take the trees out. You don't want the
scenario where you go next door, talk to someone who says they are the
owner and verbally OK it, only to find out that in reality their ex-
wife owns it, knew nothing about it, and comes after you, etc.