Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Speaking of front load washers

While we're talking about front load washers, what's with the price of
the drawer pedestals sold to raise them up??? Buying two of them adds
$400-500 to the price! This has got to be an ADP (additional dealer
profit) type item....

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Franklin wrote:

While we're talking about front load washers, what's with the price of
the drawer pedestals sold to raise them up??? Buying two of them adds
$400-500 to the price! This has got to be an ADP (additional dealer
profit) type item....

Of course. And I just built a matching platform out of 2x10s and plywood, spray
painted to match the appliances color. Cost me about $50 for all the materials
and 2 hours of labor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Franklin wrote:

While we're talking about front load washers, what's with the price of
the drawer pedestals sold to raise them up??? Buying two of them adds
$400-500 to the price! This has got to be an ADP (additional dealer
profit) type item....

Paul F.

Screw the peds, get the stack. Separate units side by side is a waste of
space. Put a full wardrobe / cabinet in the space vacated by the extra
box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:

Screw the peds, get the stack. Separate units side by side is a waste of
space. Put a full wardrobe / cabinet in the space vacated by the extra
box.

How do you stack them? Is it some kind of steel frame
skeleton you must buy?

Other option is to get ONE machine that does BOTH
washing and drying
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 12, 12:54*pm, "Pete C." wrote:

snip

Single unit
washer/dryers aren't very common.

Nor are they very effective according to Consumer Reports. Must be why
thyare not very common.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 2:24 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Paul Franklin wrote:

While we're talking about front load washers, what's with the price of
the drawer pedestals sold to raise them up??? Buying two of them adds
$400-500 to the price! This has got to be an ADP (additional dealer
profit) type item....

Paul F.

Screw the peds, get the stack. Separate units side by side is a waste of
space. Put a full wardrobe / cabinet in the space vacated by the extra
box.

Yeah, you do gain some floor space, but at what price? Being 6' 5", I
am spoiled with the pedestal that raises both washer and dryer up to a
level where I don't have to strain my back loading and unloading
laundry.

Then I put cabinets above both units for storage, and my wardrobe
closet is elsewhere.

Just my thoughts; of course, YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Other option is to get ONE machine that does BOTH washing and drying

My experience with those in the UK is that they do a poor job at both
washing and drying.

They're also quite limiting time-wise, since you have to wait for a
complete wash/dry cycle to complete before doing another load. �Separate
units allow for putting a load of wash in while a previouisly washed load
is in the dryer. ...But I guess that's obvious. :-)

I would prefer ONE box that does both wash and dry, heck I would buy
two if it worked really well.

people will happily pay for convenience today with our rush rush lives

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
" wrote:

Other option is to get ONE machine that
does BOTH washing and drying

I would prefer ONE box that does both wash and dry,
heck I would buy two if it worked really well.

In that case, you should go ahead and replace your water heater with a
TANKLESS model as money is apparently no object.

The all-in-one washer/dryer combo is notoriously expensive and
inefficient. They are often found in RVs. I have yet to hear anything
good about them.

http://www.splendide.com
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 19 Mar 2008 08:55:09p, Marina told us...

"Not@home" wrote in
:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Wed 12 Mar 2008 06:07:09p, Rick Blaine told us...

wrote:

How do you stack them? Is it some kind of steel frame
skeleton you must buy?

Most stackable units either come with a bracket or have a bracket
kit available as an option.

Other option is to get ONE machine that does BOTH washing and
drying
My experience with those in the UK is that they do a poor job at
both washing and drying.

They're also quite limiting time-wise, since you have to wait for a
complete wash/dry cycle to complete before doing another load.
Separate units allow for putting a load of wash in while a
previouisly washed load is in the dryer. ...But I guess that's
obvious. :-)

When we travel in Europe, we rent an apartment, and the combined units
are very common there. All those we have used have cleaned well, but
are relatively slow in drying. We just do a load overnight, and one
while we are out during the day. Its worth it because we don't have
to haul as many clothes with us.

When I suggested one for our home, my wife objected since she likes to
get all the laundry done in one day a week, rather than spending
multiple days because of the long time the combined unit takes to
finish one load. She also likes having a lot of space on top of the
units for a work surface.

If gas prices keep going up, I may get her a clothesline.

I line dry as much as possible. The clothes don't get worn out so fast

as
using a dryer all the time. You just have to plan ahead when you need

the
clothes. If you have children this may be hard to do.

If you live in an area where there are spontaneous and unexpected dust
storms, it's not a very practical idea. You just have to wash them again.
:-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 03(III)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Marina wrote:

I line dry as much as possible.

Another strategy is to buy clothes that are not all
cotton..... they dry faster and wrinkle less
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 1:24*pm, wrote:
"Pete C." wrote:
Screw the peds, get the stack. Separate units side by side is a waste of
space. Put a full wardrobe / cabinet in the space vacated by the extra
box.

How do you stack them? Is it some kind of steel frame
skeleton you must buy?

Other option is to get ONE machine that does BOTH
washing and drying

ONE machine that does BOTH washing and drying

Unless you've got 4 kids and usually have both the washer and dryer
going at once. One unit would really slow us down.

Then there's the fact that we all have some items that get hung up, so
we'd have to be ready to dig them out before the dry cycle began.
Besides the timing issue, it's much easier to do while transferring
clothes from the washer to the dryer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 11:18*am, wrote:
Marina wrote:
I line dry as much as possible.

-- Another strategy is to buy clothes that are not all
-- cotton..... they dry faster and wrinkle less

Or go naked - dries fast, but still subject to wrinkling.