Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,963
Default Where's the spam from


While reading this newsgroup, I looked at the first message in each
thread (there were 54 threads containing new messages).

Of those 30 of them were spam, 100% of these came from Google Groups.
There were 24 non-spam threads, 15 of those (63%) did not come from
Google Groups.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 350
Default Where's the spam from

Mark Lloyd wrote:
While reading this newsgroup, I looked at the first message in each
thread (there were 54 threads containing new messages).

Of those 30 of them were spam, 100% of these came from Google Groups.
There were 24 non-spam threads, 15 of those (63%) did not come from
Google Groups.


I post sometimes through google but I think g.mail, while from google,
is just used to mask identity. My posts there do not come up as g.mail.
Spammers come here because this is a popular group.
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,963
Default Where's the spam from

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:45:35 -0400, Frank
frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
While reading this newsgroup, I looked at the first message in each
thread (there were 54 threads containing new messages).

Of those 30 of them were spam, 100% of these came from Google Groups.
There were 24 non-spam threads, 15 of those (63%) did not come from
Google Groups.


I post sometimes through google but I think g.mail, while from google,
is just used to mask identity. My posts there do not come up as g.mail.
Spammers come here because this is a popular group.


My testing, above, had nothing to do with a gmail address. I looked
for the header that says:

User-Agent: G2/1.0
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,764
Default Where's the spam from

On Mar 11, 4:36 am, wrote:

What gets me, is that I have never heard anyone who reads the spam.
So what's the point of posting it in the first place?


In normal advertising and sales circles, a direct salesman facing a
customer might get a 1 in 4 or 1 in 10 return, a direct mail marketer
might get 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000, a spammer might get 1 in 10, 000.
Since a spammer's costs are essentially zero per message it makes
sense for them.

R


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,764
Default Where's the spam from

On Mar 10, 6:04 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:45:35 -0400, Frank
frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Mark Lloyd wrote:


While reading this newsgroup, I looked at the first message in each
thread (there were 54 threads containing new messages).


Of those 30 of them were spam, 100% of these came from Google Groups.
There were 24 non-spam threads, 15 of those (63%) did not come from
Google Groups.


I post sometimes through google but I think g.mail, while from google,
is just used to mask identity. My posts there do not come up as g.mail.
Spammers come here because this is a popular group.


My testing, above, had nothing to do with a gmail address. I looked
for the header that says:

User-Agent: G2/1.0


Maybe we should just shoot them...?

R

  #7   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,764
Default Where's the spam from

On Mar 10, 2:33 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell


A very quotable sig, but there is a difference between intelligence
and wisdom - wisdom is highly preferred. I know plenty of intelligent
people who are stupid, and I don't know a single wise person that is
stupid.

R
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,040
Default Where's the spam from

In article
,
RicodJour wrote:

I know plenty of intelligent
people who are stupid, and I don't know a single wise person that is
stupid.


The second part of this sentence implies that stupid is the opposite of
intelligent, and is unrelated to wisdom. The first part contradicts the
idea that stupid is the opposite of intelligent, and implies that it is
the opposite of wise.

What did you mean to say?
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,764
Default Where's the spam from

On Mar 11, 11:03 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

RicodJour wrote:
I know plenty of intelligent
people who are stupid, and I don't know a single wise person that is
stupid.


The second part of this sentence implies that stupid is the opposite of
intelligent, and is unrelated to wisdom. The first part contradicts the
idea that stupid is the opposite of intelligent, and implies that it is
the opposite of wise.

What did you mean to say?


I meant exactly what I wrote, but I'll be happy to clarify it for
you. You're inferring that I meant there is no correlation between
intelligence and wisdom, but I certainly did not imply it. There are
many types of intelligence, purportedly seven, but most often some
sort of test-taking is the barometer of intelligence.

All doctors and lawyers are intelligent or they'd never have
graduated, and that puts them in the upper levels of 'intelligence'.
Some of the stupidest people I know are doctors and lawyers. Eliot
Spitzer is a very intelligent man - he is not a wise man, and in fact
is fairly stupid. Is that any clearer?

R
  #11   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 929
Default Where's the spam from

On Mar 11, 7:36 am, RicodJour wrote:
On Mar 11, 4:36 am, wrote:



What gets me, is that I have never heard anyone who reads the spam.
So what's the point of posting it in the first place?


In normal advertising and sales circles, a direct salesman facing a
customer might get a 1 in 4 or 1 in 10 return, a direct mail marketer
might get 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000, a spammer might get 1 in 10, 000.
Since a spammer's costs are essentially zero per message it makes
sense for them.

R


Unfortunately R's correct about "spammer arithmetic"

their costs are so low that even a few hits are worth it......just
like junk snail mail.

If email providers charged for email (let say over some reasonable per
day) spam "might" be reduced.

Few or low cost resources tend to be over consumed.

cheers
Bob
  #12   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 929
Default Where's the spam from

On Mar 11, 8:03 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

RicodJour wrote:
I know plenty of intelligent
people who are stupid, and I don't know a single wise person that is
stupid.


The second part of this sentence implies that stupid is the opposite of
intelligent, and is unrelated to wisdom. The first part contradicts the
idea that stupid is the opposite of intelligent, and implies that it is
the opposite of wise.

What did you mean to say?


What did you mean to say?



seemed pretty clear to me & it has been my experience when dealing
with stupid, wise & intelligent people.

cheers
Bob
  #13   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 929
Default Where's the spam from

On Mar 11, 8:21 am, RicodJour wrote:
On Mar 11, 11:03 am, Smitty Two wrote:

In article
,


RicodJour wrote:
I know plenty of intelligent
people who are stupid, and I don't know a single wise person that is
stupid.


The second part of this sentence implies that stupid is the opposite of
intelligent, and is unrelated to wisdom. The first part contradicts the
idea that stupid is the opposite of intelligent, and implies that it is
the opposite of wise.


What did you mean to say?


I meant exactly what I wrote, but I'll be happy to clarify it for
you. You're inferring that I meant there is no correlation between
intelligence and wisdom, but I certainly did not imply it. There are
many types of intelligence, purportedly seven, but most often some
sort of test-taking is the barometer of intelligence.

All doctors and lawyers are intelligent or they'd never have
graduated, and that puts them in the upper levels of 'intelligence'.
Some of the stupidest people I know are doctors and lawyers. Eliot
Spitzer is a very intelligent man - he is not a wise man, and in fact
is fairly stupid. Is that any clearer?

R


R-


Spitzer is a very intelligent man - he is not a wise man, and in fact is fairly stupid.


At least now he can serve as a excellent "bad example".

Too bad the law, in his case, be unequally applied...his resignation
will serve as his punishment.

If he was a "regular"guy or a high profile businessman, some eager
federal prosecutor would go after him on federal charges.

How poetic would that have been?

cheers
Bob

  #15   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,368
Default Where's the spam from

BobK207 wrote:
On Mar 11, 7:36 am, RicodJour wrote:
On Mar 11, 4:36 am, wrote:



What gets me, is that I have never heard anyone who reads the spam.
So what's the point of posting it in the first place?


In normal advertising and sales circles, a direct salesman facing a
customer might get a 1 in 4 or 1 in 10 return, a direct mail marketer
might get 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000, a spammer might get 1 in 10, 000.
Since a spammer's costs are essentially zero per message it makes
sense for them.

R


Unfortunately R's correct about "spammer arithmetic"

their costs are so low that even a few hits are worth it......just
like junk snail mail.

If email providers charged for email (let say over some reasonable per
day) spam "might" be reduced.

Few or low cost resources tend to be over consumed.



Sadly, I have to concur. They're latching on to an equivalent elsewhere, as
well.




  #16   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,040
Default Where's the spam from

In article
,
RicodJour wrote:

On Mar 11, 11:03 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

RicodJour wrote:
I know plenty of intelligent
people who are stupid, and I don't know a single wise person that is
stupid.


The second part of this sentence implies that stupid is the opposite of
intelligent, and is unrelated to wisdom. The first part contradicts the
idea that stupid is the opposite of intelligent, and implies that it is
the opposite of wise.

What did you mean to say?


I meant exactly what I wrote, but I'll be happy to clarify it for
you. You're inferring that I meant there is no correlation between
intelligence and wisdom, but I certainly did not imply it. There are
many types of intelligence, purportedly seven, but most often some
sort of test-taking is the barometer of intelligence.

All doctors and lawyers are intelligent or they'd never have
graduated, and that puts them in the upper levels of 'intelligence'.
Some of the stupidest people I know are doctors and lawyers. Eliot
Spitzer is a very intelligent man - he is not a wise man, and in fact
is fairly stupid. Is that any clearer?

R


Is it any clearer? No, it isn't. But thanks for the effort.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please spam me! I love spam [email protected] Woodworking 0 January 7th 07 10:29 AM
OT - I want SPAM. Mike O. Woodworking 10 November 10th 05 12:38 AM
(OT) Spam Here's one for you Don... DoN. Nichols Metalworking 0 November 19th 04 08:19 PM
Amazing Telescoping ladders (warning: spam, but good spam) chem Metalworking 5 November 30th 03 06:34 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"