Posted to alt.home.repair

Default non-toxic water-resistant glue for metal/plastic?

Can anyone recommend a non-toxic water-resistant glue? I am doing some
remodeling to kitchen and want to apply some glue to a surface that is
exposed to food. Is there a glue that has an FDA-approved label of
some sort? I am afraid that regular epoxy may outgas/leach nasty stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a non-toxic water-resistant glue? I am doing some
remodeling to kitchen and want to apply some glue to a surface that is
exposed to food. Is there a glue that has an FDA-approved label of
some sort? I am afraid that regular epoxy may outgas/leach nasty stuff.

Exactly what are you gluing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a non-toxic water-resistant glue? I am doing some
remodeling to kitchen and want to apply some glue to a surface that is
exposed to food. Is there a glue that has an FDA-approved label of
some sort? I am afraid that regular epoxy may outgas/leach nasty stuff.

I'd use epoxy because it is safe

http://www.bisphenol-a.org/human/epoxycan.html
Epoxy resins provide an important coating for food and beverage cans that
helps to protect food and beverages from contamination with dissolved metals
and from spoilage due to bacterial contamination.

Master Bond is used in many medical applications

Posted to alt.home.repair

Either epoxy or silicone are food safe once cured. Exactly what do you
want to stick together?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a non-toxic water-resistant glue? I am doing some
remodeling to kitchen and want to apply some glue to a surface that is
exposed to food. Is there a glue that has an FDA-approved label of
some sort? I am afraid that regular epoxy may outgas/leach nasty stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all for the info... I'm looking to fix a broken plate and I was
wondering the same thing. As a side note, I've been a subject in a
linguistics experiment where I had sensors glued to my tongue. One of
the professors was from the dental school and he said that the glue
they were using was basically superglue (probably medical grade
though). I don't advocate eating superglue in any quantity, and I'll
probably use epoxy for my fix it project (b/c I think that superglue
is actually water soluble), but I just wanted to share this anecdotal
nugget that superglue isn't as toxic as it smells.
-Abe

wrote in message

Can anyone recommend a non-toxic water-resistant glue? I am doing some
remodeling to kitchen and want to apply some glue to a surface that is
exposed to food. Is there a glue that has an FDA-approved label of
some sort? I am afraid that regular epoxy may outgas/leach nasty stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Super glue was used in Viet Nam as emergency stitches to close wounds.

The stuff is toxic, but it is one of those things where not much is absorbed
when tissue is glued together, and it is a whole lot healthier to get the
would closed fast.

The glue is not water soluble when cured. Super glue is also not a good
choice when gaps need to be filled or it is subject to a lot of vibration.

--

"ferante" wrote in message
Thanks all for the info... I'm looking to fix a broken plate and I was
wondering the same thing. As a side note, I've been a subject in a
linguistics experiment where I had sensors glued to my tongue. One of
the professors was from the dental school and he said that the glue
they were using was basically superglue (probably medical grade
though). I don't advocate eating superglue in any quantity, and I'll
probably use epoxy for my fix it project (b/c I think that superglue
is actually water soluble), but I just wanted to share this anecdotal
nugget that superglue isn't as toxic as it smells.
-Abe

On Mar 9, 7:55 pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
Either epoxy or silicone are food safe once cured. Exactly what do you

want to stick together?

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,

then

wrote in message

Can anyone recommend a non-toxic water-resistant glue? I am doing some
remodeling to kitchen and want to apply some glue to a surface that is
exposed to food. Is there a glue that has an FDA-approved label of
some sort? I am afraid that regular epoxy may outgas/leach nasty

stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to runcyclexcski, maneka wrote:
runcyclexcski wrote:

Can anyone recommend a non-toxic water-resistant glue? I am doing some
remodeling to kitchen and want to apply some glue to a surface that is
exposed to food. Is there a glue that has an FDA-approved label of
some sort? I am afraid that regular epoxy may outgas/leach nasty stuff.

I don't know of a food-safe epoxy but this stuff should work and is
definitely FDA approved for food-contact:
www.gluehow.com/glues/GordonGlassSiliconeSealant
www.gluehow.com/glues/DapSealant
I've used Dap before and it's pretty easy to use but they both look good.