Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cats still ****ing on basement floor.

We tried almost everything recommended to get our two cats to use
their litter pans and they do a pretty good job of it. However,
regardless of how often we clean and/or change the litter they still
go to the basement and **** on the floor up against the wall and the
riser for the bottom step.

The last thing we tried was washing the area thoroughly with citrus
based cleaner and then laying a towel there soaked in the solution for
about two days. Then we took three layers of newspaper and laid them
on the floor and part way up the wall and up the riser. We put a 50#
weight on it so they could not move it. By the next morning the
newspapers were stained with cat urine.

There has to be a definitive answer that will convince them to go to
their litter pans every time.

Anyone have any suggestions that do not involve harming the cats?
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
[...]

When you called the veterinarian's office, what suggestion(s) did they
offer. I'm asking to nobody duplicates those suggestions in their responses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Grandpa Chuck wrote:
We tried almost everything recommended to get our two cats to use
their litter pans and they do a pretty good job of it. However,
regardless of how often we clean and/or change the litter they still
go to the basement and **** on the floor up against the wall and the
riser for the bottom step.

[...]
Anyone have any suggestions that do not involve harming the cats?

Give them away to a good home?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 22:29:26 GMT, Grandpa Chuck
wrote:

There has to be a definitive answer that will convince them to go to
their litter pans every time.

Anyone have any suggestions that do not involve harming the cats?

Confrontational Avoidance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Are they spayed/neutered?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Grandpa Chuck says...

We tried almost everything recommended to get our two cats to use
their litter pans and they do a pretty good job of it. However,
regardless of how often we clean and/or change the litter they still
go to the basement and **** on the floor up against the wall and the
riser for the bottom step.

The last thing we tried was washing the area thoroughly with citrus
based cleaner and then laying a towel there soaked in the solution for
about two days. Then we took three layers of newspaper and laid them
on the floor and part way up the wall and up the riser. We put a 50#
weight on it so they could not move it. By the next morning the
newspapers were stained with cat urine.

There has to be a definitive answer that will convince them to go to
their litter pans every time.

Anyone have any suggestions that do not involve harming the cats?

Did you take them to the vet to see if there is anything wrong?

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try a pet group.

rec.pets.cats

alt.cats

alt.animals.cat

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 18:26:31 -0500, "Charles"
wrote:

"Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Many cats will not use another cat's litter box.

Cat training is an unbelievably difficult task.
They need to be scolded for urinating other than
in their litter box and rewarded with treats for
using the litter box. If you can't get them to
use a litter box, it may be time to get them
another home.

Dogs have masters, but cats have servants.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We tried almost everything recommended to get our two cats to use
their litter pans and they do a pretty good job of it. However,
regardless of how often we clean and/or change the litter they still
go to the basement and **** on the floor up against the wall and the
riser for the bottom step.

The last thing we tried was washing the area thoroughly with citrus
based cleaner and then laying a towel there soaked in the solution for
about two days. Then we took three layers of newspaper and laid them
on the floor and part way up the wall and up the riser. We put a 50#
weight on it so they could not move it. By the next morning the
newspapers were stained with cat urine.

There has to be a definitive answer that will convince them to go to
their litter pans every time.

Anyone have any suggestions that do not involve harming the cats?

Well, it is not clear if the issue is physical, psychological or
social issue. Have you taken the cat to a vet? The vet should be
able to help you with either a medical issue or psychological
behavior. Have you tried separating the two cats for a week?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:30:33 -0500, Terry
wrote:

Try a pet group.

Are the pets familiar with home repair?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Put one sheet of copper on the end of the step, and one sheet on the floor
having them insulated. Now you connect one sheet to the positive and the
other to the negative and when the cat sprays he connects the circuit and it
immediately imprints on his little pea brain that ****ing there is not a
good idea.

If the correct voltage and amperage combination is selected, no permanent
damage will result. A former employer of mine did this to detrain the
neighbor cats from using his hubcaps as territory markers.

--
Roger Shoaf

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My Mom & Dad had a cat that ****ed in the corners all the time. Once they
start doing it, it's nearly impossible to get it stopped. They tried
everything to make the cat use it's litterbox - to no avail. They finally
had to get rid of the cat. Silly cat ****ed his home away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Grandpa Chuck writes:

We tried almost everything recommended to get our two cats to use
their litter pans and they do a pretty good job of it. However,
regardless of how often we clean and/or change the litter they still
go to the basement and **** on the floor up against the wall and the
riser for the bottom step.

The last thing we tried was washing the area thoroughly with citrus
based cleaner and then laying a towel there soaked in the solution for
about two days. Then we took three layers of newspaper and laid them
on the floor and part way up the wall and up the riser. We put a 50#
weight on it so they could not move it. By the next morning the
newspapers were stained with cat urine.

There has to be a definitive answer that will convince them to go to
their litter pans every time.

Anyone have any suggestions that do not involve harming the cats?

I know I answered this question about 2 weeks ago.
Was that in alt.cats?
I wasn't the only one.

Did you follow any of the advice you got then?
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Mar 8, 7:29*pm, Grandpa Chuck wrote:
[...]

* * *~

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me

Did these 2 cats come in the same package - arrive in the home at the
same time? Were there cat(s) in the home before these two arrived?
They are being territorial / marking their area. Ain't gonna change if
this is the case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Fi-Shock. One experience, and they won't ever go near that wall again. You
can't put it up so that they will electrify themselves, as the spray of
urine is not the continuous stream you need for electrical circuit. Smear
some tuna oil on the wire, and get them to touch their nose on it. That
will do it.

Google it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote in message

[...]

Have you considered counseling? Maybe it was something that happened in
their kittenhood. Something traumatic that their inner kitten is trying to
express. Maybe you were too lenient or strict during their litter box
training. Do they drink a lot of beer? Are they registered Democrats?
What is their reaction when Hillary or Barack or John come on CNN? Have you
had them checked for colorblindness? Have you just tried talking with them
and asking them what's the ****ing problem? Are they Capricorns? Do you
play classical music for them when you're away? Do they suffer from
separation anxiety? Has either had suicidal episodes or exhibited suicidal
tendencies? Are they homosexual or heterosexual? Have they been neutered
or spayed, and if so, did they have counseling after having some of their
favorite body parts cut off/out?

There's so many different things it could be.

Either that, or you have two knuckleheads and you're going to have to decide
whether you want to live in a house that reeks of cat **** for the next
forty years or get rid of the cats.

If they were mine, they'd be history. Or live outside. I love cats. I own
one. She uses the kitty doors and kitty box. If she started spraying the
walls, we'd have a talk or two, she'd either change or not, and she'd either
stay or not.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 5:29*pm, Grandpa Chuck wrote:
[...]

Spray the area with bleach
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 5:29 pm, Grandpa Chuck wrote:
We tried almost everything recommended to get our two cats to use
their litter pans and they do a pretty good job of it. However,
regardless of how often we clean and/or change the litter they still
go to the basement and **** on the floor up against the wall and the
riser for the bottom step.

The last thing we tried was washing the area thoroughly with citrus
based cleaner and then laying a towel there soaked in the solution for
about two days.

On Mar 9, 10:43 am, ransley wrote:
Spray the area with bleach

Neither is a solution. Cat urine contains elements which are not
removed by household cleaners, even bleach in some cases. So the cats
smell these enzymes (or whatever) and believe that's an acceptable
place to pee.

To deal with the surface (and hopefully the behavior) you want
something like this: http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Natu...Odor_Rem over.
As the human of two cats, I can personally attest to its effectiveness
on floors and furniture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Grandpa Chuck wrote:

We tried almost everything recommended to get our two cats to use
their litter pans and they do a pretty good job of it. However,
regardless of how often we clean and/or change the litter they still
go to the basement and **** on the floor up against the wall and the
riser for the bottom step.

The last thing we tried was washing the area thoroughly with citrus
based cleaner and then laying a towel there soaked in the solution for
about two days. Then we took three layers of newspaper and laid them
on the floor and part way up the wall and up the riser. We put a 50#
weight on it so they could not move it. By the next morning the
newspapers were stained with cat urine.

There has to be a definitive answer that will convince them to go to
their litter pans every time.

Anyone have any suggestions that do not involve harming the cats?

Do cats have run of the house? Is one dominant? It may be the dominant
one, if there is one,
that is being bad. Can you keep them separate, or board one for a
while, to see who it is?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 22:36:29 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

[...]

Commercial products that we already have on the shelf. The vet gave
both cats a clean bill of health. We need to find a solution that will
actually remove the odor and discourage the cats from going where we
don't want them too. The place they are doing it is only about 4' from
on cat pan and maybe 10' from the other.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

One spayed, the other neutered.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Try a pet group.

Are the pets familiar with home repair?

Oh, yes. They help whenever they can and when the Australian Shepherd
will leave us alone rather than playing let's herd the cats.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Mar 2008 15:26:58 -0800, Banty wrote:

[...]

Yes. There isn't. All the vet wants to do is sell us more expensive
cat repellents and odor removers that we already own.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The cats sleep together and play together, although either one can
sometimes get pretty darned rough with the other.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 18:22:33 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

Put one sheet of copper on the end of the step, and one sheet on the floor
having them insulated. Now you connect one sheet to the positive and the
other to the negative and when the cat sprays he connects the circuit and it
immediately imprints on his little pea brain that ****ing there is not a
good idea.

If the correct voltage and amperage combination is selected, no permanent
damage will result. A former employer of mine did this to detrain the
neighbor cats from using his hubcaps as territory markers.

Now there is an idea that makes some real sense since we have never
been able to catch them doing it.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

New vet, just out of school? He/she had no suggestions for behavior
modification?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Grandpa Chuck wrote:
We tried almost everything recommended to get our two cats to use
their litter pans and they do a pretty good job of it. However,
regardless of how often we clean and/or change the litter they still
go to the basement and **** on the floor up against the wall and the
riser for the bottom step.

As long as THEY can smell the urine there, they'll keep peeing there.
Until you develop a cat's sense of smell, doesn't matter what you can
smell there. We've had good luck with Nature's Miracle, but we don't
dab it on because it's expensive, we use enough to saturate the areas
and let the enzymes work. And we apply it frequently. And we shake well
before using, like the label says.

--
If only there was a Republican running for President of the United States.

Posted to alt.home.repair

buffalobill wrote in news:9e83066f-7a0f-47e8-
:

On Mar 8, 6:29 pm, Grandpa Chuck wrote:
[...]

neuter the owner?

I had a problem with a couple of kittens peeing on the carpet near the
litterbox,even tho they use the litterbox for pooping.I put down a sheet of
Visqueen,and it seems to have gotten them to use the litterbox for both
functions. I put newpapers atop the plastic sheet to see if they woudl pee
on them,they didn't,where they would before I used the plastic sheet.

They don't seem to like walking on the plastic.It makes noise as they walk.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

clifto wrote in :

As long as THEY can smell the urine there, they'll keep peeing there.
Until you develop a cat's sense of smell, doesn't matter what you can
smell there. We've had good luck with Nature's Miracle, but we don't
dab it on because it's expensive, we use enough to saturate the areas
and let the enzymes work. And we apply it frequently. And we shake well
before using, like the label says.

It would seem that if you have to use it("Nature's Miracle") frequently,it
is not removing the stain/smell.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Put one sheet of copper on the end of the step, and one sheet on the
floor having them insulated. Now you connect one sheet to the
positive and the other to the negative and when the cat sprays he
connects the circuit and it immediately imprints on his little pea
brain that ****ing there is not a good idea.

If the correct voltage and amperage combination is selected, no
permanent damage will result. A former employer of mine did this to
detrain the neighbor cats from using his hubcaps as territory
markers.

Now there is an idea that makes some real sense since we have never
been able to catch them doing it.

Try installing a small fan that continuously blows across the area.

Have you considered the problem might not BE the cats?

1. The wood is "weeping" some vile substance put there originally by a "Save
the Trees!" hippie.

2. Some other animal (racoon, opossum, Gila Monster) is doing the deed with
the intent to sully the reputation of your cats and a long-range goal of
eliminating the felines so this malovelent creature can have full reign over
the territory. I know, for example, that badgers and ground hogs are both
extremely devious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Mar 2008 00:04:23 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

clifto wrote in :

As long as THEY can smell the urine there, they'll keep peeing there.
Until you develop a cat's sense of smell, doesn't matter what you can
smell there. We've had good luck with Nature's Miracle, but we don't
dab it on because it's expensive, we use enough to saturate the areas
and let the enzymes work. And we apply it frequently. And we shake well
before using, like the label says.

It would seem that if you have to use it("Nature's Miracle") frequently,it
is not removing the stain/smell.

Vinegar and water will kill the urine enzymessp, so I'm told by a
retired carpet professional.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
clifto wrote in :
As long as THEY can smell the urine there, they'll keep peeing there.
Until you develop a cat's sense of smell, doesn't matter what you can
smell there. We've had good luck with Nature's Miracle, but we don't
dab it on because it's expensive, we use enough to saturate the areas
and let the enzymes work. And we apply it frequently. And we shake well
before using, like the label says.

It would seem that if you have to use it("Nature's Miracle") frequently,it
is not removing the stain/smell.

"Frequently" as in several times over a short period, not as in over a long
period. That makes sure we didn't miss any spots, and gives it a chance to
get all the urine.

--
If only there was a Republican running for President of the United States.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 19:20:36 -0800, "SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA
wrote:

"Oren" wrote

Vinegar and water will kill the urine enzymessp, so I'm told by a
retired carpet professional.

The guy who did the carpet in one of my houses was a friend. He installed
new. My dog took to peeing on the carpet in selected spots. I asked him
what to do. He said all I could do was remove the carpet and pad and start
from new. Once they had put their mark on the carpet, it would never come
out with any amount of cleanings to where the animal could not smell the
scent. He said the pad never ever dries out, and the smell stays in there.
I had just had it cleaned about a week previous, and said, "Bah."

He rolled back the carpet from the corner, and between the liner and the
concrete it was still wet. I was amazed, as the professionals had left it
so dry "looking" and clean.

We got the dog to quit peeing on the carpet, and she stayed. If she had not
quit, she would have been relocated. Good thing she quit, because she was
one of the best dogs I have ever owned. A Springer spaniel that loved the
kids and they grew up with her.

That said, though, I am not enough of an outdoorsman or animal lover to
share a house with any animal that will not go outside to relieve itself.
Or that I have to provide and change the droppings tray. But that's just
me.

Except for my cat, that is.

YMMV.

Steve

I'm aware of what you speak. When I stripped my house and spent months
waiting to move in I made many photos of the damage from previous
pets, owners (are as bad), etc. By that time I went to Ammonia to
clean the slab.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just posted the question in alt.cats and will check in the morning
to see what people there suggest.

To all of you who have tried to give constructive suggestions, I want
to say, "Thank you."
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 08:27:17 -0700 (PDT), buffalobill
wrote:

[...]

Had that done almost thirty years ago after the seventh child's birth.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:53:12 -0700 (PDT), Kyle
wrote:

[...]

We have used it and it did not help one bit, but thank you for the
input.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-