Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well part question - Check Valve?

The water line that comes from my deep well enters the house and connects
to a copper part(s). I think it is a check valve. The check valve attaches
to the black plastic water line with a cone shaped connector and a hose
clamp. The parts are so corroded that I can't tell if it is one part or
two. Can someone tell me the names of these parts?

I believe this is the check-valve.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...-footvalve.jpg

I will attempt to attach a picture.

Thanks,

nprlisner

Posted to alt.home.repair

Link to picture of corroded part.

http://mysite.verizon.net/kenmills1/...checkvalve.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

nprlisner wrote:

Link to picture of corroded part.

http://mysite.verizon.net/kenmills1/...checkvalve.jpg

Yep. Check valve with tappings for the pressure switch/snifter.

Your old one may or may not actually have the
check valve inside since the submersible pump
likely has a foot valve.

Is it the pipe plug on the right that is causing the
discoloration due to leakage?

The brass valve body wouldn't be corroding.
If so, I would rather replace the plug than disturb
all that piping.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 3:02 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
nprlisner wrote:
Yep. Check valve with tappings for the pressure switch/snifter.

Your old one may or may not actually have the
check valve inside since the submersible pump
likely has a foot valve.

Is it the pipe plug on the right that is causing the
discoloration due to leakage?

The brass valve body wouldn't be corroding.
If so, I would rather replace the plug than disturb
all that piping.

Jim

Hi Jim,
Yes, I think the check-valve is "check-valveless". My well is 240 feet
deep and am sure it has a foot valve. I think the leak is coming from
the top plug. You make a good point not to disturb the plumbing. I
will clean the check-valve and replace the plug first. I have to
replace the pressure switch every other year because the switch gets
clogged with rust, not cleanable.

Do you know if this check-valve is one part or is there a separate
connector which attaches to the line? It looks like one part but it is
hard to tell.

thanks for your advice,

--Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

nprlisner wrote:
[...]

I believe that one is a single piece with the
check buried inside (if there is one).

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

nprlisner wrote:
[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Most are 1 peice and if you have a good footvalve then you can run
without it but if the foot goe's youi have a promblem as the water
might and could drain