DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Killing Tree Roots (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/236691-killing-tree-roots.html)

[email protected] March 8th 08 01:49 PM

Killing Tree Roots

I have a few Cottonwood trees that have undermined and damaged the
driveway with their roots. There are other areas of sidewalk that the
damage is just starting.

I want to remove the trees, but unsure of the best approach.
If I cut the trees to a stump will this encourage the roots to grow
more? If I grind the stump, what about the roots under the drive,
will they die off ot try to grow more.

I was thinking of cutting the trees, then killing the stump and roots.
How should this whole thing be approached?

Thanks!

[email protected] March 8th 08 02:00 PM

Killing Tree Roots

On Mar 8, 8:49�am, wrote:
I have a few Cottonwood trees that have undermined and damaged the
driveway with their roots. �There are other areas of sidewalk that the
damage is just starting.

I want to remove the trees, but unsure of the best approach.
If I cut the trees to a stump will this encourage the roots to grow
more? �If I grind the stump, what about the roots under the drive,
will they die off ot try to grow more.

I was thinking of cutting the trees, then killing the stump and roots.
How should this whole thing be approached?

Thanks!

cut down tree, if any regrows spray with herbicide, then grind out
stump or let it rot.

mature trees can be beautiful things and add to property value.

you might consider a alternative of what i do to kill tree roots in my
main sewer line. with estimates of 8 to 10 grand just for the line:
( every joint in the terracotta line has roots but one including all
those under the house.....

plus replacing part of the driveway, a retaining wall and sidewalk i
dump rock salt down the sewer, espically in the spring. when root
growth is so fast.

so you could dig between the tree and driveway cutting the roots, and
treat a small area with salt, which WILL discourage root growth:) heck
you could bury a 2 inch pipe along the driveway, bury it in gravel,
cover with dirt and just leave a fitting you could uncover and put a
funnel in, pour in rock salt water.

note this might sound wierd but saves the tree, and the tree removal
cost, plus rocksalt or softener salt is drop dead cheap

Phisherman March 8th 08 02:07 PM

Killing Tree Roots

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 05:49:59 -0800, wrote:

I have a few Cottonwood trees that have undermined and damaged the
driveway with their roots. There are other areas of sidewalk that the
damage is just starting.

I want to remove the trees, but unsure of the best approach.
If I cut the trees to a stump will this encourage the roots to grow
more? If I grind the stump, what about the roots under the drive,
will they die off ot try to grow more.

I was thinking of cutting the trees, then killing the stump and roots.
How should this whole thing be approached?

Thanks!

Easy way: Cut down the trees. Remove enough of the stumps so that
the mower blades can safely move over the stumps (prevent mower
damage!). This will allow easy sucker removal. Leaves provide food
for the tree; without leaves the roots will die. No need to remove
the roots or stumps. You can speed stump rotting by drilling several
deep holes into each stump and keeping the holes filled with 34-0-0
fertilizer.

Norminn March 8th 08 02:08 PM

Killing Tree Roots

wrote:

I have a few Cottonwood trees that have undermined and damaged the
driveway with their roots. There are other areas of sidewalk that the
damage is just starting.

I want to remove the trees, but unsure of the best approach.
If I cut the trees to a stump will this encourage the roots to grow
more? If I grind the stump, what about the roots under the drive,
will they die off ot try to grow more.

I was thinking of cutting the trees, then killing the stump and roots.
How should this whole thing be approached?

Thanks!

If you cut them down, and the stump sprouts, just keep the sprouts
trimmed. The roots can't
live without foliage and they will die.

Dick Adams[_2_] March 8th 08 03:48 PM

Killing Tree Roots

wrote:

I have a few Cottonwood trees that have undermined and damaged the
driveway with their roots. There are other areas of sidewalk that the
damage is just starting.

I want to remove the trees, but unsure of the best approach.
If I cut the trees to a stump will this encourage the roots to grow
more? If I grind the stump, what about the roots under the drive,
will they die off ot try to grow more.

I was thinking of cutting the trees, then killing the stump and roots.
How should this whole thing be approached?

I believe in uprooting trees. When I have wanted to keep a tree,
severing and removing the errant roots is an excellent solution.

Dick

[email protected] March 8th 08 04:27 PM

Killing Tree Roots

On Mar 8, 10:48*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
wrote:
I have a few Cottonwood trees that have undermined and damaged the
driveway with their roots. *There are other areas of sidewalk that the
damage is just starting.

I want to remove the trees, but unsure of the best approach.
If I cut the trees to a stump will this encourage the roots to grow
more? *If I grind the stump, what about the roots under the drive,
will they die off ot try to grow more.

I was thinking of cutting the trees, then killing the stump and roots.
How should this whole thing be approached?

I believe in uprooting trees. *When I have wanted to keep a tree,
severing and removing the errant roots is an excellent solution.

Dick

Since it sounds like the trees are in areas where you don't want
stumps, I would get them cut down and then grind the stumps. If you
choose to do the cutting yourself, you can contact a local tree
service for the grinding. If you're not in a hurry and tell them they
can do it anytime in the next couple months, etc, you may get a good
rate.

If any growth emerges, Roundup (glyphosate) will take care of it.

Frank[_9_] March 8th 08 09:05 PM

Killing Tree Roots

wrote in message
I have a few Cottonwood trees that have undermined and damaged the
driveway with their roots. There are other areas of sidewalk that the
damage is just starting.

I want to remove the trees, but unsure of the best approach.
If I cut the trees to a stump will this encourage the roots to grow
more? If I grind the stump, what about the roots under the drive,
will they die off ot try to grow more.

I was thinking of cutting the trees, then killing the stump and roots.
How should this whole thing be approached?

Thanks!

Grinding the stump by contractors is only grinding around the tree trunk
area, leaving the remaining runners intact. The chemicals - drill holes in
tree stump, mix with hot water, repeat every month - that suppose to kill
the roots may take many years and in my experience doesn't work. I ended up
digging up all the individual roots by hand, and when roots are 10" or more
in diameter, it may require a come along, digging bar and hydraulic jack or
spreader. I further cut the roots at the concrete interface with a ax,
sawall or jack hammer. Don't use chain saw if you don't want to sharpen the
chain every few seconds of use - roots has embedded sand and rocks. If you
want to pull out all the roots, saw cut the concrete.

[email protected] March 9th 08 12:29 AM

Killing Tree Roots

On Mar 8, 4:05*pm, " Frank" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Don't you think he should just wait and see what happens before
choosing the nuclear option? I mean that's a hell of a lot of
work. I'm not familiar with Cottonwood trees, but most trees, once
cut, don't present this level of difficulty in preventing new
growth. Most species just die out on their own. Is there something
special about these?

[email protected] March 9th 08 01:46 AM

Killing Tree Roots

On Mar 8, 7:29�pm, wrote:
On Mar 8, 4:05�pm, " � � � � �Frank" wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

[...]

special about these?- Hide quoted text -

in any case when you cut the tree down it has a fully grown root
system and since it must have leaves puts all its energy ino that,
which a occasional spray of herbicides can control.

if you really want to kiil something mix roundup 50% with broadleaf
weed control.

breaks several federal laws but killed impossible to kill poision ivy
here

[email protected] March 9th 08 01:49 AM

Killing Tree Roots

hey mabe he could buy some bunker buster military surplus bombs? if
its meant to take out a bunker a tree should be easy.............

on second thought tat might fragment the tree stump stasrting millions
of lttle ones:(

I still like my idea of digging along the driveway and spoiling the
soil so the tree cant grow roots in that area