Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What bait to use in mousetraps?

I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 07:48:13 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Think cat.

Had one. Didn't work out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Mash up some white bread with a little p.b. and mold it to the trigger
on the spring trap. Don't
re-use traps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:06:55 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

Don't
re-use traps.

Why is that? Can they smell their dead brethren?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 13:43:26 GMT, wrote:

I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Little bracelets made from dried corn work well and last a long time,
although grain does not put out an irresistible odor. Another
popular bait is raw bacon--this bait works fast.
Posted to alt.home.repair
GM GM is offline

wrote in message
I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

I've had that problem. I think the smell of PB is the best thing to attract
them, so I use a combination of PB and cheese, with the cheese pushed into
and around the metal or plastic paddle. Have never had one fail yet.

I always just throw away the trap, mouse and all, to avoid touching the
little *******s. I get the traps from target (I think it's about 1.50 for 4
traps) - they seem to work best. I definitely prefer the spring traps -
most effective in my experience, and there's something satisfying about
hearing them activate and breaking the little *******s' necks.

Good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm using these:
http://tinyurl.com/3d5nkn

These are good because if my toddler puts his finger in it, it won't
hurt. These have worked great for me in the past. It closes on the
mouse's upper body and squeezes until he can't breathe anymore.

It's fun to watch, too.

I'm glad I used these, because I see already one of the kids decided
to help out by sticking a Cheerio in the PB.

The other kind looks like this, but it's a spring trap. I have these
in the nooks and crannies where my kids won't get at them.

The glue traps are 100%, but my wife freaks out when she hears the
mouse shrieking in his death throes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 13:43:26 GMT, wrote:

-snip-
I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Peanut butter is my weapon of choice. I tie a tiny piece of cotton
thread to the trigger. Greedy *******s won't leave until they get
every last bit of flavor-- after one application, the string is good
for about a week's worth of catching.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 15:17:33 GMT, wrote:

I'm using these:
http://tinyurl.com/3d5nkn

These are good because if my toddler puts his finger in it, it won't
hurt. These have worked great for me in the past. It closes on the
mouse's upper body and squeezes until he can't breathe anymore.

It's fun to watch, too.

I'm glad I used these, because I see already one of the kids decided
to help out by sticking a Cheerio in the PB.

The other kind looks like this, but it's a spring trap. I have these
in the nooks and crannies where my kids won't get at them.

The glue traps are 100%, but my wife freaks out when she hears the
mouse shrieking in his death throes.

I like these too. They're also available at any Walgreens drugstore.

I use crunchy peanut butter as bait, and I spread it on the underside
of the top of trap, not the trigger paddle.

-dickm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 8:43 am, wrote:
I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Skewer a plastic jar and lid (maybe a peanut butter jar) on a bent
wire coat hanger to make a spinning "log".
Bend the coat hanger to position the log over the center of a wide
mouth bucket that contains a couple of inches of water. Smear a ring
of peanut butter around the diameter of the log in the middle (smear
it evenly so the log still spins).
Put the whole thing where the mice can get to the top of the bucket
and wait.
Nothing like seeing a mouse swimming in the bottom of the bucket.
I've even had doubles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Hi,
I use piece of cheese.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 8:43 am, wrote:
I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Here's a link, too:
http://asktrapperjohn.com/topics/bucketmouse.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don't
re-use traps.

Why is that? Can they smell their dead brethren?

I believe so......but that may have been rats. I started putting plastic
gloves on to set traps, just in case I was dealing with a master mouse )
It is also an issue of touching whatever disease producing organisms
the previous mouse may have carried. My daughter cried the first
time we trapped a mouse - she was very young, and always an
animal lover. I have respect for all kinds of critters, until they
poop in my kitchen )
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm using these:
http://tinyurl.com/3d5nkn

These are good because if my toddler puts his finger in it, it won't
hurt. These have worked great for me in the past. It closes on the
mouse's upper body and squeezes until he can't breathe anymore.

Behind or under kitchen range or fridge is a good place to put traps
so's kids and pets
cannot reach them. These areas also favored by mice, in my experience.

It's fun to watch, too.

I'm glad I used these, because I see already one of the kids decided
to help out by sticking a Cheerio in the PB.

The other kind looks like this, but it's a spring trap. I have these
in the nooks and crannies where my kids won't get at them.

The glue traps are 100%, but my wife freaks out when she hears the
mouse shrieking in his death throes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 11:14:23 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

I have respect for all kinds of critters, until they
poop in my kitchen )

Exactly. There was actually poop in my wife's stand mixer bowl.
That's just disgusting!

And they're going into our dish towel drawer every single night.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 11:18:09 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

Behind or under kitchen range or fridge is a good place to put traps
so's kids and pets
cannot reach them. These areas also favored by mice, in my experience.

Yeah, that's how they get access to the whole kitchen. They go up
through the range and come out through the vents.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

I use PB and smear it all over and under the trigger as others suggest.
It is also important to put traps in the mice's runways and you can even
catch them without bait. In spots safe from kids or pets, I also use
poison bait. Also use flat open glue traps which also catch other
beasties like large spiders.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jp jp is offline

On Mar 8, 8:43*am, wrote:
I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. *I have 2 kinds: *spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! *I don't know how they do it. *I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. *They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

just use peanut butter, good luck henry penta
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jp" wrote in message
I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it.

just use peanut butter, good luck henry penta

Did you read the post?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-03-08 08:43:26 -0500, said:

I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

You have to decide what works best for you and your scenario, but I've
had great luck catching the little invaders with Tomcat catch-n-release
traps. No bait needed - caught every mouse in a short period of time.

The theory on them is based around a mouse's tendency to run along
wall-lines and it's curiosity to check out cubby holes. I've had both
windup and (currently) auto-setting versions of the trap. Here's a
vendor link, but they only picture what I'd assume is the "older" crank
version: http://www.motomco.com/h_mechtraps.htm Mine is flatter and
is just needs gravity to work - no wind up spring.

They call it the "Multiple Catch Mouse Trap".

My only advice on using this trap is one warning: THEY ARE VERY
EFFECTIVE. After you've caught you're little invader, do not store
the trap anywhere it can "accidentally" catch another mouse when you're
not regularly checking it. The smell will be your first indication the
storage space wasn't a good one.

I don't get a lot of mice in the house, but on the 5-10 occasions it's
happened, these traps have been bullet proof (and then some).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Superglue or hot glue a dry kernel of corn on the lever, and then smear some
peanut butter on there.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

On second thought, I recommend a Tin Cat. Available at most hardware
stores, it's a one way live trap. Just smear some peanut butter inside, and
here they come. No springs. Easy to use. Easy to clean. Just toss trap,
mice, and all in a five gallon bucket of water and come back in ten minutes.
One mouse inside brings more. They will hold about ten mice, so unlike a
trap, it keeps working after it catches one. They work GREAT!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Peanut Butter is the best bait in my experience. Just put some in the divot
of the trigger plate and level it with a knife.
This makes the little *******s work at getting the bait.....and
then....*WHAP!!*

(although yucky) I've had luck with glueboards too. Put a dab of Peanut
Butter in the very center of the board. Gets 'em everytime. The best
rodent defense is figuring out what their points of entry into your home are
and work to get those closed off. Good Luck!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Skewer a plastic jar and lid (maybe a peanut butter jar) on a bent
wire coat hanger to make a spinning "log".
Bend the coat hanger to position the log over the center of a wide
mouth bucket that contains a couple of inches of water. *Smear a ring
of peanut butter around the diameter of the log in the middle (smear
it evenly so the log still spins).
Put the whole thing where the mice can get to the top of the bucket
and wait.
Nothing like seeing a mouse swimming in the bottom of the bucket.
I've even had doubles.

I swear by this method! We have a summer getaway out in the boonies
and there's usually no shortage of the little sob's there. The
problem with individual traps is when they go off with or without a
victim, its useless until reset. These dunk buckets work until the
heard either wises up (hasn't happened yet) or decimates (yes!)...
The buckets tend to get a little stinky if you don't clean them out
every couple days but other than that they just plain work
beautifully! when I first tried one after one night I had at least a
dozen drownings by morning. I put one inside our shack. I have
another outside. Now I have usually been lucky to get a couple in the
outside bucket and it's been rare to get even one inside. Try it!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 1:54 pm, Steve wrote:
Skewer a plastic jar and lid (maybe a peanut butter jar) on a bent
wire coat hanger to make a spinning "log".

I swear by this method! We have a summer getaway out in the boonies
and there's usually no shortage of the little sob's there. The
problem with individual traps is when they go off with or without a
victim, its useless until reset. These dunk buckets work until the
heard either wises up (hasn't happened yet) or decimates (yes!)...
The buckets tend to get a little stinky if you don't clean them out
every couple days but other than that they just plain work
beautifully! when I first tried one after one night I had at least a
dozen drownings by morning. I put one inside our shack. I have
another outside. Now I have usually been lucky to get a couple in the
outside bucket and it's been rare to get even one inside. Try it!

Steve

I'd rather have a smelly few in a pail than a smelly couple in spring
traps or worse, "somewhere" in the house after expiring from eating
poisoned bait. Disposal outside in a patch of bush is easy and
there's no danger that scavengers will consume any remnants of the
poison.
I've actually heard my setup go off in the night and checked to find a
swimmer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Just my two cents but I have been using Ramik Bars. It looks like small
molding and you just break off pieces and throw them around and my dogs do
not try to eat them. How I first learned of this product, I had used some
and put the remaining bait in a 1 gal plastic container and put that
container in a 5 gal plastic container and the next day the mice ate through
both containers to get to the bait.
--
Moe Jones
http://www.hal-pc.org/~moejones

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 07:48:13 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Think cat.

Had one. Didn't work out.

Get two cats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 16:23:04 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 07:48:13 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Think cat.

Had one. Didn't work out.

Get two cats.

Former prison cats work great; as far as I can tell.

Any local prison will donate cats, if nothing else but to get them out
of the dumpster life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Norminn wrote:
wrote:

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

A raisin, crushed onto the bait pan. They can't lick it off, and if you've
mashed it on there hard enough, they can't tug it off, either.

Mash up some white bread with a little p.b. and mold it to the trigger
on the spring trap.

Pfffft. Too much work. Use a raisin.

Don't re-use traps.

Pffffft. Doesn't make any difference, unless there's blood on it.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Norminn wrote:

wrote:

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

A raisin, crushed onto the bait pan. They can't lick it off, and if you've
mashed it on there hard enough, they can't tug it off, either.

Mash up some white bread with a little p.b. and mold it to the trigger
on the spring trap.

Pfffft. Too much work. Use a raisin.

Don't re-use traps.

Pffffft. Doesn't make any difference, unless there's blood on it.

Mice carry diseases. Urine and droppings can spread disease. Traps are
cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Norminn wrote:

Mice carry diseases. Urine and droppings can spread disease. Traps are
cheap.

So is soap. Wash your hands after handling a mousetrap, dummy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Don't
re-use traps.

Why is that? Can they smell their dead brethren?

I'm sure there is truth to the "don't reuse" but at the same time,
I've reused successfully. What I end up doing after I've gotten
frustrated is setting new traps but using the old traps too. But I'm
sure I've gotten consecutive mouses in the same trap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Got one.
Little ******* still managed to eat almost all of the PB before
meeting his maker.

And he was lying on his back in the trap. Weird.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I use a live trap emptied at least twice a day,

I release them to the outdoors where they belong.

frankly i prefer to not kill anything unnecessarily.......

since something out there will kill me someday

I sealed the house well and dont keep a food source around. my big
mistake was the 50 pound sack of sunflower seeds............

with a plentiful food source, nice cozy house and one pregnant mouse.

over 40 went out in the live trap/ a few old geezers did die, probably
from old age and fear.. they were very grey like a old person.

dont kill them just relocate.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
Got one.
Little ******* still managed to eat almost all of the PB before
meeting his maker.

Like you were going to put it back in the jar???

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:
Got one.
Little ******* still managed to eat almost all of the PB before
meeting his maker.

That's why you should use raisins instead. They can't lick them off, and when
they try to tug them off -- whack!

--
Regards,

Mouse trap bait? [email protected] Home Repair 15 August 31st 06 02:38 PM
What's a suitable bait for rat traps ? mj UK diy 26 December 5th 05 10:44 PM
rat bait ken Home Ownership 17 April 22nd 05 08:31 AM
Bank Bait & Switch? [email protected] Home Ownership 9 April 17th 05 06:06 PM