Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What bait to use in mousetraps?

I used to hotmelt glue sunflower seeds to the paddle until I found a better
mouse trap. Google intruder mouse trap. Available at walgreens

"cavedweller" wrote in message
On Mar 8, 8:43 am, wrote:
I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Skewer a plastic jar and lid (maybe a peanut butter jar) on a bent
wire coat hanger to make a spinning "log".
Bend the coat hanger to position the log over the center of a wide
mouth bucket that contains a couple of inches of water. Smear a ring
of peanut butter around the diameter of the log in the middle (smear
it evenly so the log still spins).
Put the whole thing where the mice can get to the top of the bucket
and wait.
Nothing like seeing a mouse swimming in the bottom of the bucket.
I've even had doubles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I use a live trap emptied at least twice a day,

I release them to the outdoors where they belong.

frankly i prefer to not kill anything unnecessarily.......

since something out there will kill me someday

I sealed the house well and dont keep a food source around. my big
mistake was the 50 pound sack of sunflower seeds............

with a plentiful food source, nice cozy house and one pregnant mouse.

over 40 went out in the live trap/ a few old geezers did die, probably
from old age and fear.. they were very grey like a old person.

dont kill them just relocate.

Make sure you do it at least a mile away, or they will beat you back to
the house. I had one that was dragging away the ant traps to eat the
bait, so I got a couple of the 'teeter totter' live traps. Worked great,
with peanut butter as bait. No window in the trap, and they are heavy
enough that you can't tell anyone is in there- I picked up a tripped one
to reset it,and the mouse jumped out and ran under the cabinets. But he
has a short memory, so I caught him again 2 days later. Dropped him off
in some tall weeds by the river at the park down the road, on the way to
work the next day. Kept setting traps for a couple weeks, but no more
hits, so I guess it was a bachelor male. No mice since then, knock on
wood, but the well-washed traps are on the shelf waiting for next time.

Yeah, I know- being an inexperienced indoor mouse, he was probably an
owl midnight snack within 24 hours. But at least I didn't have to kill him.

And as to the sunflower seeds and other tempting things- metal trash
cans with tight lids, and 5-gallon buckets with tight lids, make good
vermin-proof storage.

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I use a live trap emptied at least twice a day,

I release them to the outdoors where they belong.

frankly i prefer to not kill anything unnecessarily.......

since something out there will kill me someday

I sealed the house well and dont keep a food source around. my big
mistake was the 50 pound sack of sunflower seeds............

with a plentiful food source, nice cozy house and one pregnant mouse.

over 40 went out in the live trap/ a few old geezers did die, probably
from old age and fear.. they were very grey like a old person.

dont kill them just relocate.

An owls nest would be a good place to relocate the buggers. Some times
killing things is good. Mice and insects, venomous snakes, pathogenic
bacteria and viruses. This list is not at all complete.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My secret mouse baiting trick...microwave a tootsie roll till it's soft and
gooey, mold it around the little metal bait shelf and let it cool. The mouse
will lick and lick and lick and suddenly, no more mouse.

--
Mikey S.
wrote in message
I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Isn't a .22 a bit of overkill for a mouse?
I use the 'foot of god' method'

I fold the glue trap over, put it on the floor outside and stomp on it,
instantly the mouse is no longer suffering, the trap is now stuck together
so the glue is inside where it doesn't stick to everything, and it's all
ready to throw out.

--
Mikey S.
wrote in message
When I catch them in the glue traps, I take the trap outside and use
my 22 rifle on them. I dont like to see any animal suffer but I can
not stand mice in the house. They die fast when the shot blasts them
apart. Those I catch in a spring trap get tossed outside and my farm
cats all fight over it. But I cant leave the glue traps where a cat
gets stuck to it and I'd have one hell of a time trying to clean that
stuff off the cat. I always burn the glue trap immediately since we
do not have trash pickup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 20:46:11 GMT, "Mikey S." wrote:

My secret mouse baiting trick...microwave a tootsie roll till it's soft and
gooey, mold it around the little metal bait shelf and let it cool. The mouse
will lick and lick and lick and suddenly, no more mouse.

Not a secret anymore. And a waste of a damn good tootsie roll

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 20:46:11 GMT, "Mikey S." wrote:

My secret mouse baiting trick...microwave a tootsie roll till it's
soft and gooey, mold it around the little metal bait shelf and let
it cool. The mouse will lick and lick and lick and suddenly, no
more mouse.

Not a secret anymore. And a waste of a damn good tootsie roll

Only PART of the Tootsie Roll is wasted...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 19:28:23 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 20:46:11 GMT, "Mikey S." wrote:

My secret mouse baiting trick...microwave a tootsie roll till it's
soft and gooey, mold it around the little metal bait shelf and let
it cool. The mouse will lick and lick and lick and suddenly, no
more mouse.

Not a secret anymore. And a waste of a damn good tootsie roll

Only PART of the Tootsie Roll is wasted...

And my luck that will be the PART they leave me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Steve wrote:

These dunk buckets work until the
herd either wises up (hasn't happened yet) or decimates (yes!)...

Decimate: Kill every tenth one. IME, less than satisfactory results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:45:55 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Steve wrote:

These dunk buckets work until the
herd either wises up (hasn't happened yet) or decimates (yes!)...

Decimate: Kill every tenth one. IME, less than satisfactory results.

If you're in 16th century Rome you'd only kill 10%. In 21st Century
America you're wiping the buggers out.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:45:55 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Steve wrote:

These dunk buckets work until the
herd either wises up (hasn't happened yet) or decimates (yes!)...

Decimate: Kill every tenth one. IME, less than satisfactory results.

If you're in 16th century Rome you'd only kill 10%. In 21st Century
America you're wiping the buggers out.

Jim

I guess that's one of my objections to 21st century America. We're so
illiterate that words don't mean what they mean anymore. All you have to
do is look at the root of "decimate" to understand its etymology and
thence its meaning. What's next? "Halve" means cut into a thousand
pieces?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:45:55 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Steve wrote:

These dunk buckets work until the
herd either wises up (hasn't happened yet) or decimates (yes!)...

Decimate: Kill every tenth one. IME, less than satisfactory results.

If you're in 16th century Rome you'd only kill 10%. In 21st Century
America you're wiping the buggers out.

I guess that's one of my objections to 21st century America. We're so
illiterate that words don't mean what they mean anymore. All you have to
do is look at the root of "decimate" to understand its etymology and
thence its meaning. What's next? "Halve" means cut into a thousand
pieces?

It has been understood by English speakers to mean wipe out since at
least the 18th century or so.

In an intelligent society the meanings of words evolve--- when is the
last time you dialed a phone? BTW - does that phone ring?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Norminn wrote:

Mice carry diseases. Urine and droppings can spread disease. Traps are
cheap.

So is soap. Wash your hands after handling a mousetrap, dummy.

Dummy? Read up a little bit on disease vectors before you call names )
Posted to alt.home.repair

cavedweller wrote:

On Mar 8, 8:43 am, wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a significant improvement over the water traps we used in
our dorm rooms over 50 years ago.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/trap.jpg

Our kind had to be reset each time a mouse crawled out onto the ruler
and tipped it and himself into the bucket.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Norminn wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Norminn

wrote:

Mice carry diseases. Urine and droppings can spread disease. Traps are
cheap.

So is soap. Wash your hands after handling a mousetrap, dummy.

Dummy? Read up a little bit on disease vectors before you call names )

We were talking about handling *traps*. Not mice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Norminn wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Norminn

wrote:

Mice carry diseases. Urine and droppings can spread disease. Traps are
cheap.

So is soap. Wash your hands after handling a mousetrap, dummy.

Dummy? Read up a little bit on disease vectors before you call names )

We were talking about handling *traps*. Not mice.

We were talking about reusing traps, which have had squished mice in
them.....body fluids, hair, and
whatever else the mouse leaves behind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Norminn wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Norminn

wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Norminn

wrote:

Mice carry diseases. Urine and droppings can spread disease. Traps are
cheap.

So is soap. Wash your hands after handling a mousetrap, dummy.

Dummy? Read up a little bit on disease vectors before you call names )

We were talking about handling *traps*. Not mice.

We were talking about reusing traps, which have had squished mice in
them.....body fluids, hair, and
whatever else the mouse leaves behind.

So wash your hands when you're done. What's the problem?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:04:57 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Norminn wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Norminn

wrote:

Mice carry diseases. Urine and droppings can spread disease. Traps are
cheap.

So is soap. Wash your hands after handling a mousetrap, dummy.

Dummy? Read up a little bit on disease vectors before you call names )

We were talking about handling *traps*. Not mice.

We were talking about reusing traps, which have had squished mice in
them.....body fluids, hair, and
whatever else the mouse leaves behind.

Disposable rubber gloves. I use these for all kinds of jobs. Cheap
too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 11:55 am, cavedweller wrote:
On Mar 8, 8:43 am, wrote:

I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Here's a link, too:http://asktrapperjohn.com/topics/bucketmouse.htm

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 1:02*pm, Mike wrote:

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w- Hide quoted text -

Sweet!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 8:43 am, wrote:

I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden
within the last week there's poop everywhere.

I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that
squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).

I baited them with peanut butter, and the little *******s lick them
clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the
traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm
just setting them down.

What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have
to work at it?

Here's a link, too:http://asktrapperjohn.com/topics/bucketmouse.htm

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w

Sometimes, the simplest way is the best. That's nice.

Steve

Proof is in the pudding

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

Proof is in the pudding

Other than just checking them every couple of days, I think these are great.
I'm going to make a few out of the couple of dozen buckets the stucco guys
just left and place them around the property and see what the results are.
We don't have a huge rodent problem here, but the mice are just nasty when
they do invade the house.

As for the chipmunks, if they stay outside, they can live. I don't want to
place these where they may be victim just trying to get some food. Other
than that, inside the garage and on the back patios is fair game.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 1:45*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*Steve wrote:
These dunk buckets work until the
herd either wises up (hasn't happened yet) or decimates (yes!)...

Decimate: Kill every tenth one. IME, less than satisfactory results.

OK then, I'm not a master with words. Anyway, there don't seem to be
nearly as many of the little buggers around anymore since I've been
using it. If you don't believe it, fine. Have a good day!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 11:20 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:45:55 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Steve wrote:

These dunk buckets work until the
herd either wises up (hasn't happened yet) or decimates (yes!)...

Decimate: Kill every tenth one. IME, less than satisfactory results.

If you're in 16th century Rome you'd only kill 10%. In 21st Century
America you're wiping the buggers out.

Jim

I guess that's one of my objections to 21st century America. We're so
illiterate that words don't mean what they mean anymore. All you have to
do is look at the root of "decimate" to understand its etymology and
thence its meaning. What's next? "Halve" means cut into a thousand
pieces?

Windmills, anyone?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
These dunk buckets work until the
herd either wises up (hasn't happened yet) or decimates (yes!)...

Decimate: Kill every tenth one. IME, less than satisfactory results.

OK then, I'm not a master with words. Anyway, there don't seem to be
nearly as many of the little buggers around anymore since I've been
using it. If you don't believe it, fine. Have a good day!

Now, don't you feel better now that you've been properly punished? BTW, the
beatings will continue until morale improves.

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:45:55 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Steve wrote:

These dunk buckets work until the
herd either wises up (hasn't happened yet) or decimates (yes!)...

Decimate: Kill every tenth one. IME, less than satisfactory results.

If you're in 16th century Rome you'd only kill 10%. In 21st Century
America you're wiping the buggers out.

Jim

I guess that's one of my objections to 21st century America. We're so
illiterate that words don't mean what they mean anymore. All you have to
do is look at the root of "decimate" to understand its etymology and
thence its meaning. What's next? "Halve" means cut into a thousand
pieces?

Windmills, anyone?

Perhaps it's time for public caning. I sure think it would eliminate a lot
of the smaller crimes, and perhaps help people who need to castigate others
get their angst out.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:45:55 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Steve wrote:

[...]

To whom do you refer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:45:55 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Steve wrote:

[...]

The grammar and spelling police.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This one was really funny...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owcjD-kGpk8&NR=1
Tomes
Posted to alt.home.repair

i push a peice of velveta cheese on the trigger. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
i push a peice of velveta cheese on the trigger. lucas

A picture to an old Corvette, and a link to a website for an "update" for a
Mac. WOW, I'm impressed.

plonk

Steve

Mouse trap bait? [email protected] Home Repair 15 August 31st 06 02:38 PM
What's a suitable bait for rat traps ? mj UK diy 26 December 5th 05 10:44 PM
rat bait ken Home Ownership 17 April 22nd 05 08:31 AM
Bank Bait & Switch? [email protected] Home Ownership 9 April 17th 05 06:06 PM