Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question on new gas range safety

MIL just purchased a new gas range, its this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ci_sku=7994012

I smell gas in the kitchen and turn out that one of the top burners was on
but no flame. Doesn't new ranges have safety feature to prevent this kind of
situation? MIL said she was cleaning the range and must accidentally bumped
one of the control knobs.

Otherwise seems like a nice 36" range for the price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you installed this oven. You should use a light coat of soapy water
wet to see if your leaking gas.... All connections. Coat each hook up
and look for tiny bubbles. That will be a gas leak. Just keep looking
at each hook up. Do not stop if you find one or two everything needs
to be looked at. Very important. You should have perfestional person
install this and my sure your no going to have a explosion........

Frank wrote:
MIL just purchased a new gas range, its this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ci_sku=7994012

I smell gas in the kitchen and turn out that one of the top burners was on
but no flame. Doesn't new ranges have safety feature to prevent this kind of
situation? MIL said she was cleaning the range and must accidentally bumped
one of the control knobs.

Otherwise seems like a nice 36" range for the price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" Frank" wrote in message
but no flame. Doesn't new ranges have safety feature to prevent this kind
of situation? MIL said she was cleaning the range and must accidentally
bumped one of the control knobs.

No, you just have to use your brain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

yeah they can easily be bumped, one day this safety issue will have to
be fixed.

it could happen with pilot models too, just bumped a little might not
lite the pilot.

although this is much less likely today with the push to turn controls

Posted to alt.home.repair

S. Barker wrote:
yes, it is possible and real easy to turn the controls past the
sparking range without them lighting. You have to be smarter than
the machine.

On my gas range, you have to push the control before it will turn - two
physical operations. Difficult to do accidentally.