Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing Question

I live in FL where algae growing on the roof is a big problem. When I
had a tile roof I had it sprayed every year with some kind of
mildewcide....a man comes around and does several houses in the
neighborhood. Last June I got a new GAF ultra Timberline shingle roof
that is supposed to be pre-treated with some kind of chemical to keep
algae from growing. So, when the man came around I said I wouldn't be
needing the treatment anymore. He said the stuff that was used to pre-
treat roofs didn't really help and I should go ahead and let him treat
mine. I didn't .. because I was afraid it might affect the warranty.
I called the contractor who said I didn't need anything else and I e-
mailed GAF while waiting to hear from contractor. Haven't heard back
from them.

Thing is, there are several houses around me who have newish roofs -
older than mine but not a lot older - and they are beginning to show
dark spots in places. Now I am wondering if I should call the guy
back and have him treat my roof before I get spots ... Anybody know
whether the GAF anti-fungal properties really work or not? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message
[...]

Until you hear from GAF, I would do nothing. If you don't hear from them in
another business day, use the telephone. You know where to find their phone
number.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 22:04:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I live in FL where algae growing on the roof is a big problem.

Are you located among large shade trees like, oaks?
Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

I live in FL where algae growing on the roof is a big problem.

Are you located among large shade trees like, oaks?

Why do you ask? I'm not the person with the roof problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 22:14:36 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

news
wrote:

I live in FL where algae growing on the roof is a big problem.

Are you located among large shade trees like, oaks?

Why do you ask? I'm not the person with the roof problem.

Correct. I clicked the wrong thread, sorry. The intended question was
meant for Dottie.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

I live in FL where algae growing on the roof is a big problem.

Are you located among large shade trees like, oaks?

Why do you ask? I'm not the person with the roof problem.

could anyone spare 50 cents? I really could use the help because i
just totalled my only car and i live on my own. If you can spare
anything send via paypal to
Posted to alt.home.repair

what you need is a strip of galvanized metal all along the ridge or just
under the ridge shingles. The galv prevents the algae from growing. It
won't remove what's already there, however.

"Dottie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 6:38�pm, "S. Barker" wrote:
Hell, yes, i could spare 50 dollars. �But not for beggars. �Get a job.

"darthricky" wrote in message

On Mar 7, 5:14 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

news

wrote:

I live in FL where algae growing on the roof is a big problem.

Are you located among large shade trees like, oaks?

Why do you ask? I'm not the person with the roof problem.

could anyone spare 50 cents? I really could use the help because i
just totalled my only car and i live on my own. �If you can spare
anything send via paypal to

well theres a new problem around pittsburgh, the north side of roofs
is getting black streaks i had never seen before.

so wierd
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:38:50 -0600, "S. Barker"
wrote:

Hell, yes, i could spare 50 dollars. But not for beggars. Get a job.

He only asked for fiddy cents!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote in message
what you need is a strip of galvanized metal all along the ridge or just
under the ridge shingles. The galv prevents the algae from growing. It
won't remove what's already there, however.

[snip]

Been there, done that -- South Florida's heat/humidity overpowers the zinc
strips. Instead of having solid mold/mildew you get mold/mildew with
streaks.

I'd suggest that unless you have a HOA that's uptight about mildew on roofs,
you just accept it as a fact of life and let the GAF shingles do whatever
they're capable of. IMHO, over the course of years you'll have more shingle
damage from walking around on it spraying chemicals than if you just let it
age gracefully -- especially true for others with concrete or barrel tile
roofs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd suggest you need a wider strip of galv. Maybe a foot wide. We've got
the problem pretty bad here on the north sides, and whereever theres a big
flashing, there's no black below.

"JimR" wrote in message

Been there, done that -- South Florida's heat/humidity overpowers the zinc
strips. Instead of having solid mold/mildew you get mold/mildew with
streaks.

I'd suggest that unless you have a HOA that's uptight about mildew on
roofs, you just accept it as a fact of life and let the GAF shingles do
whatever they're capable of. IMHO, over the course of years you'll have
more shingle damage from walking around on it spraying chemicals than if
you just let it age gracefully -- especially true for others with concrete
or barrel tile roofs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

On Mar 7, 3:37 pm, "S. Barker" wrote:
what you need is a strip of galvanized metal all along the ridge or just
under the ridge shingles. The galv prevents the algae from growing. It
won't remove what's already there, however.

The strips (zinc) do little or nothing here in Oregon. I have the
Algae resistant shingles, and haven't seen a sign of algae in two
winters now. Pretty good for the Pacific NW and also having a couple
trees near the roof. Not sure how they'll do in the long run, but so
far so good.
As for the original poster, the contractor is full of BS, do nothing
until you see the first signs of moss, then get it treated. BTW it's
not a coating, the shingles are embedded with copper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote:

[...]

Do the neighbors have lighter color roofs? More shade? I once read
that light color roofing,
while helping reflect heat and keep it out of the attic, grows more
mildew because it doesn't
get as hot as a darker color. Can't prove it by me. Only place on our
condo exterior walls that mildew
used to thrive was on shaded areas - behind downspouts, behind some
vegetation. Since
repainting, there doesn't seem to be any.

Be clear about what your roofing is supposed to be "anti" - mildew and
algae can be pretty different..

This link is pretty interesting:
http://www.inspect-ny.com/roof/shinglestains.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair
jp jp is offline

On Mar 7, 4:45*pm, Dottie wrote:
[...]

Get in touch with a good roofer and ask him to install a copper strip
across the peak of the roof on both sides of the roof and when it
rains the copper will react and stop mildew, it works, good luck henry
penta, i seen this on the, this old house progran.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jp wrote in
:

On Mar 7, 4:45*pm, Dottie wrote:

Get in touch with a good roofer and ask him to install a copper strip
across the peak of the roof on both sides of the roof and when it
rains the copper will react and stop mildew, it works, good luck henry
penta, i seen this on the, this old house progran.

The copper suggestion is the way to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 1:23 pm, nprlisner wrote:
jp wrote :

On Mar 7, 4:45 pm, Dottie wrote:

Get in touch with a good roofer and ask him to install a copper strip
across the peak of the roof on both sides of the roof and when it
rains the copper will react and stop mildew, it works, good luck henry
penta, i seen this on the, this old house progran.

The copper suggestion is the way to go.

The new roof is medium brown - not too dark - but not as light as the
neighbors who both have gray. They don't have algae yet and their
roofs are two and three years old. I have some sort of metal strips
along the outside edges of the roof. The very top has the Cobra ridge
vent .
The man who sprays does not have to walk on the roof. We used to have
a tile roof (old one) and he couldn't walk on it or pressure wash
it ... just spray from the sides....which worked out o.k. The east
side of the old roof used to get mold/mildew on it because it was not
in the sun as much as the west side. We don't have large oak trees in
our yard.

I do want to talk to someone at GAF before doing anything - probably
will call Monday. Thank you all though.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"S. Barker" wrote in message
Hell, yes, i could spare 50 dollars. But not for beggars. Get a job.

With his skills, he should be able to earn that much in an hour or less, at
an job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

On Mar 7, 5:48�pm, darthricky wrote:
On Mar 7, 5:14�pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

news

wrote:

I live in FL where algae growing on the roof is a big problem.

Are you located among large shade trees like, oaks?

Why do you ask? I'm not the person with the roof problem.

could anyone spare 50 cents? I really could use the help because i
just totalled my only car and i live on my own. �If you can spare
anything send via paypal to

In time this could definitely become a "roofing problem."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 10:22Â*pm, Sev wrote:
On Mar 7, 5:48�pm, darthricky wrote:

On Mar 7, 5:14�pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

news

wrote:

I live in FL where algae growing on the roof is a big problem.

Are you located among large shade trees like, oaks?

Why do you ask? I'm not the person with the roof problem.

could anyone spare 50 cents? I really could use the help because i
just totalled my only car and i live on my own. �If you can spare
anything send via paypal to

In time this could definitely become a "roofingproblem."- Hide quoted text -

Try www.therooftech.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 2:35 pm, wrote:
On Mar 8, 10:22 pm, Sev wrote:

On Mar 7, 5:48�pm, darthricky wrote:

On Mar 7, 5:14�pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

news

wrote:

I live in FL where algae growing on the roof is a big problem.

Are you located among large shade trees like, oaks?

Why do you ask? I'm not the person with the roof problem.

could anyone spare 50 cents? I really could use the help because i
just totalled my only car and i live on my own. �If you can spare
anything send via paypal to

In time this could definitely become a "roofingproblem."- Hide quoted text -

trywww.therooftech.com

I talked to the technical representative from GAF today. She said
that spraying the roof would not affect the warranty. She also said
that it should not be necessary. The copper oxide granules in the
shingles should protect it for 10 years. I have decided to wait and
if I have a problem down the line, I will call the man and have it
sprayed then. Thanks again for all the help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 2:35Â*pm, wrote:
On Mar 8, 10:22Â*pm, Sev wrote:

On Mar 7, 5:48�pm, darthricky wrote:

On Mar 7, 5:14�pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

news

wrote:

I live in FL where algae growing on the roof is a bigproblem.

Are you located among large shade trees like, oaks?

Why do you ask? I'm not the person with the roofproblem.

could anyone spare 50 cents? I really could use the help because i
just totalled my only car and i live on my own. �If you can spare
anything send via paypal to

In time this could definitely become a "roofingproblem."- Hide quoted text -

trywww.therooftech.com- Hide quoted text -

Try www.therooftech.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

"www.therooftech.com" wrote in message
trywww.therooftech.com- Hide quoted text -

Try www.therooftech.com

Why not actually answer some of the questions here? This is just a chicken
**** way of getting people to you web sit. Trying to sell something? We all
contribute tot he group, not just entice people away like some stranger in
the park.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimmie D" wrote in
:

"jp" wrote in message
.
.. On Mar 7, 4:45 pm, Dottie wrote:
[...]

That what my father in law used to have on his house. When he got a
new roof they didnt put one back up
saying he didnt need it with the new shingles. Well he didnt for about
4 or 5 years, then he started to spray the roof with copper sulfate.
He more or less covered the whole roof with it but Ive heard yu can
just spray it up on the ridge.

Jimmie

A lot less expensive will be zinc strips. They sell them specifically
made for this. Half nailed under a shingle lip and half exposed.

There are other versions but it's zinc.

If you ever noticed a soiled dark roof that has metal vent stacks. From
the stack down it's not dark. Stack is galvanized. Galvanizing contains
zinc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimmie D wrote:
"jp" wrote in message
On Mar 7, 4:45 pm, Dottie wrote:

[...]

A zinc strip placed along the ridge will also inhibit mold formation.
I'd be worried about the longevity of the Timberline mildewcide.

Boden

Question about roofing [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 18th 07 03:53 PM
Roofing Question Dottie Home Repair 8 August 18th 07 10:33 PM
roofing question SeaKan Home Repair 4 March 25th 06 04:57 PM
Question about roofing [email protected] Metalworking 11 July 26th 05 05:39 AM
Roofing Question John Willis Home Repair 5 February 19th 04 03:30 AM