Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painted shower tiles -- with sand finish?

I recently bought a 3-unit apartment building and one of the tenants just
moved out of one of the small apartments. I need to redo the apartment to
get it rented out again and, for now, am basically just repainting, changing
a couple of light fixtures, and replacing a small ceiling, etc.

In the bathroom, the existing shower and wall tiles were painted over by the
previous owner with some kind of paint. The paint over the tiles is
absolutely rock solid and is in perfect shape. I don't know what kind of
paint was used, but it has a rough sand-like finish, and is painted some
type of varying shades of what I would call "sand colors". I guess the
idea was to make it look like some kind of stone work or whatever. It is a
flat finish, not glossy. And, it actually looks okay enough except that the
varying color shades idea looks stupid.

What I want to do-- for now -- is just repaint what is there to make it a
different color. I know the best approach will eventually be to rip out the
old tiles throughout the bathroom and redo the room, but I don't want to do
that now.

So, my questions a

1) Does anyone have any idea what kind of paint that may be -- maybe epoxy
paint or something similar? It actually feels like stone, but it is just a
painted on surface.

2) Any suggestions on what to kind of paint to use to paint over the
existing surface to change the color? The surface is very rough already, so
that is not an issue.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 6, 3:39*pm, "BETA-33" wrote:
[...]

Don't overdo it. All you want is a nicer color, so go pick up a few
cans of Krylon aerosol paint, tape it off and paint it to look the way
you want. You can do the whole thing in an hour with almost no
cleanup. The acrylic spray paints are fairly good performers in moist
conditions. Surface roughness should not be an issue here. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I want to avoid spraying if possible, so I'll have to figure out
what type of paint to brush on that will work without peeling etc.

"Joe" wrote in message

Don't overdo it. All you want is a nicer color, so go pick up a few
cans of Krylon aerosol paint, tape it off and paint it to look the way
you want. You can do the whole thing in an hour with almost no
cleanup. The acrylic spray paints are fairly good performers in moist
conditions. Surface roughness should not be an issue here. HTH

Joe

Sand Blast, Bead Blast, or? ....... rusty painted railings Norminn Home Repair 8 April 14th 06 06:06 AM
Ceramic tiles on painted drywall EpsilonRho Home Repair 2 April 3rd 06 01:42 PM
Ceiling sand-painted - refresh/repaint? Banty Home Repair 0 March 2nd 06 04:19 PM
Painted Finish BobS Woodworking 15 July 13th 05 05:39 AM
Avoiding brush stokes - getting a good painted finish Frank W UK diy 5 August 21st 03 03:59 PM