Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting an edge when using paint stripper

I'm using paint stripper for several projects. For one project I'm
stripping a window sill that is flaking badly. The rest of the window
trim is fine and I don't need to strip it. Does anyone have a
technique to strip up to an edge using paint stripper? I'm guessing
that painter's tape isn't going to work, because the paint stripper
will just eat right through it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 6, 10:01*am, Ben Mills wrote:
I'm using paint stripper for several projects. *For one project I'm
stripping a window sill that is flaking badly. *The rest of the window
trim is fine and I don't need to strip it. *Does anyone have a
technique to strip up to an edge using paint stripper? *I'm guessing
that painter's tape isn't going to work, because the paint stripper
will just eat right through it.

Don't guess...try it out and then you'll know. With all the
combinations of tape and stripping compounds you might just find find
something that works the way you want it to. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ben Mills wrote:

I'm using paint stripper for several projects. For one project I'm
stripping a window sill that is flaking badly. The rest of the window
trim is fine and I don't need to strip it. Does anyone have a
technique to strip up to an edge using paint stripper? I'm guessing
that painter's tape isn't going to work, because the paint stripper
will just eat right through it.

I would go close to the edge, protecting the upright wood with tape, and
clean up the remainder
of the sill by sanding. I have done lots of paint removal, and don't
know anything other than
metal or glass that won't let it seep in or through. Before stripping,
I would cut a line at the joint between
the sill and upright with a sharp utility knife - if you then try gently
scraping the ends of the sill
up to the scribed line, the paint at the end might chip away without
affecting the upright.

Paint Stripper again Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 5 September 6th 06 10:42 PM
Best paint stripper? Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 9 August 20th 06 12:15 AM
A gallon of paint stripper(Gel) The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 6 April 1st 06 11:09 PM
Paint stripper ben UK diy 19 July 15th 05 12:24 PM
Paint stripper masking? Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott Home Repair 7 November 28th 04 09:52 AM