Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Picket fence options

We want to put a picket fence up on our property. The purpose is to
simply define the property line. There are no animals or children to
keep out or in. There will be gardening going on inside of it and
likely growing over some of it. About 150' of length, 3' high.

The question is maintenance. The property is located in an historic
area of the NH seacoast across the street from the ocean. But the
house style is 1930's bungalow, most of the others being from the 16
or 17 hundreds. Obviously the most pleasing aesthetic choice would
be the wooden fence painted white. But I am over maintaining
something like that at this stage of my life. So we have looked at
vinyl and metal. Vinyl seems to choice we are going with now, but I'm
not totally crazy about it. Then I thought, it really doesn't need to
be white, could be natural. But I'm not sure what the ramifications
of that would be.

So, I'm looking for suggestions about this.

Here is a link to pics of the house:

http://jtpryan.smugmug.com/gallery/4...62605902_TDxPe

Thanks for any ideas,

-Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

jtpr writes:

[...]

Nice house.

I'd go with white vinyl pickets and some landscaping.

I don't think any other color would work as well as white.
You've already got white railings in 2 places.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article
,
jtpr wrote:

[...]

Hmm, my browser thinks your New Castle folder is empty. But I did see
the thumbnail on the index page. Nice place! Here's my suggestion: Wood,
painted white. To hell with maintenance. Enjoy the character of the
thing as it ages. It ain't a hospital room, it's a fence! The older it
gets, the better it looks.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mar 6, 8:43*am, jtpr wrote:
[...]

White.

Wood.

Paint... Rent an airless (a real one) and ****-coat the pickets with a
mix of 1/3 Penetrol, 1/3 mineral thinners and 1/3 McClosky white
marine enamel. Soak the ends into 1" on the bottom of a pail with that
mixture.
Let dry for a solid 24 hrs and then airless them all again with any
white oil-based enamel you can get a deal on.
You're good to go for a LONG time.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Dan Espen wrote:
jtpr writes:

[...]

If it's "natural" then it's going to be gray after a while without
more maintenance than white paint would require.

Another option might be Trex or one of the other composite decking
materials that comes in white (or whatever color one prefers).

If he's willing to trade up front cost for low maintenance, he could
have it shot with white Imron--that should last for the rest of his
life and then some.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 6, 8:09*am, Dan Espen wrote:
jtpr writes:
[...]

Add my vote to that. We have vinyl fences in quite a few neighborhoods
nearby and they look just fine. Wood fences always look beat up in
coastal areas after a few years although some service life can be
gained if you use an elaborate painting scheme. Bottom line is the
advantages of vinyl clearly outweigh the hassle of wood. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Mar 6, 7:43*am, jtpr wrote:
[...]

I would use a natual cedar fence myself.

Spray it with Thompson water sealer every couple of years.

It will look great.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

If natural use Cedar. It will go silver and hold up for years. If to
be painted go with treated material.

From a design perspective if you wanted to go up scale, I would repeat
the railing you have on the porch, with the top and bottom rail and
inner pickets, and not go with a picket style. Also, at the corners,
and at gate openings, do larger box columns with the little stand out
detail like you have on the big box columns on the porch edges. Slope
the top of the top rail so you won't get standing water and build out
a cap with sloped pyramin cap on the corner box columns. You could
even tie the rail back into the stair rail if a walkway aligned
properly.

I'd be glad to sketch up my ideas if you want. Could be really nice.

BW

Picket fence options jtpr Woodworking 8 March 7th 08 06:56 AM
Picket Fence trav Home Repair 0 October 7th 07 05:07 PM
Picket Fence Question Suzie-Q Home Repair 10 June 7th 07 07:01 PM
Best wood for picket fence in Eugene, OR Mike in Arkansas Woodworking 11 December 23rd 05 05:48 PM
How to line up picket fence? (remove_this)prosete Home Repair 3 November 7th 04 04:41 AM