Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical socket problem

Last night, we had a power outage. When the power came back on, we
noticed that the electrical sockets in our bathrooms did not work
anymore, as well as the lightbulb socket in the garage. They had all
been working prior to the power outage. The electrical sockets in the
other parts of the house are still working. We checked the circuit
breaker, and nothing was tripped. Any idea what is going on?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Last night, we had a power outage. When the power came back on, we
noticed that the electrical sockets in our bathrooms did not work
anymore, as well as the lightbulb socket in the garage. They had all
been working prior to the power outage. The electrical sockets in the
other parts of the house are still working. We checked the circuit
breaker, and nothing was tripped. Any idea what is going on?

Did you cycle the breaker(s) to off and then on? In my previous house, a
couple of breakers did LOOK as if they'd tripped, but they had sort of a
center position which, in dim light, looked normal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 11:11 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
Last night, we had a power outage. When the power came back on, we
noticed that the electrical sockets in our bathrooms did not work
anymore, as well as the lightbulb socket in the garage. They had all
been working prior to the power outage. The electrical sockets in the
other parts of the house are still working. We checked the circuit
breaker, and nothing was tripped. Any idea what is going on?

Do you have a GFCI outlet anywhere?

Yes, although we never use them. But since we have one or two of
those, what should we do?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Last night, we had a power outage. When the power came back on, we
noticed that the electrical sockets in our bathrooms did not work
anymore, as well as the lightbulb socket in the garage. They had all
been working prior to the power outage. The electrical sockets in the
other parts of the house are still working. We checked the circuit
breaker, and nothing was tripped. Any idea what is going on?

Do you have a GFCI outlet anywhere?

Yes, although we never use them. But since we have one or two of
those, what should we do?

Try pushing the reset button on each GFI receptacle.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 19:59:55 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Last night, we had a power outage. When the power came back on, we
noticed that the electrical sockets in our bathrooms did not work
anymore, as well as the lightbulb socket in the garage. They had all
been working prior to the power outage. The electrical sockets in the
other parts of the house are still working. We checked the circuit
breaker, and nothing was tripped. Any idea what is going on?

I call them receptacles or outlets. I call sockets the things one
screws lightbulbs into.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Last night, we had a power outage. *When the power came back on, we
noticed that the electrical sockets in our bathrooms did not work
anymore, as well as the lightbulb socket in the garage. *They had all
been working prior to the power outage. *The electrical sockets in the
other parts of the house are still working. *We checked the circuit
breaker, and nothing was tripped. *Any idea what is going on?

Do you have a GFCI outlet anywhere?

Yes, although we never use them. *But since we have one or two of
those, what should we do?

one of those might have tripped when the power went out or came back on
(or an outlet somewhere might have gotten wet if you had a bad storm and
tripped the GFCI,) that would kill everything downstream of it. *just
hit the reset button on all of them and see what happens.

nate

Thanks, that worked!