Posted to alt.home.repair

Default got a DTV converter

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 17:03:14 -0500, mm
wrote:

[snip]

Good question. Maybe someone who plans a central converter box
anyhow?

As to my 2 inch tv, it was a present and I've really never used it. So
sad. Hoping to use it next month on the way to Texas.

Can I give it to someone elsewhere in America, north or south, where
they still have analog? Is there an easy way to do this, other than
going to Mexico? Obviously they don't watch enough tv in some of
these countries and I'd like to help them watch more.

Low power and translator stations aren't affected by the law. Maybe
someone who lives close to one of those.

I am
really waiting to see where the whole TV market is heading before I
buy much new. I still think there will be a huge IP based TV system on
the internet ... as soon as they can get the business model and DRM
problems worked out. The writer's strike was just the first battle *

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 01:18:36 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 15:16:55 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I am
really waiting to see where the whole TV market is heading before I
buy much new. I still think there will be a huge IP based TV system on
the internet ... as soon as they can get the business model and DRM
problems worked out. The writer's strike was just the first battle ?- Hide quoted text -

canada will still be analog

Thanks. They have channels 2 to 86 also? (I'm not actually sure the
US goes up to 86. It was supposed to at one point, but I think they
stop in the 70's or something.)

The US used to go up to 83 (not 86), but it has been limited to 69 for
20 years or do. They're supposed to be lowering the limit even more
now, I forget how far.

They ought to come down here and buy truckloads of used analog tvs and
resell them in Canada. I wonder if there is a way to make money doing
that. If I see a Canadian truck, I'll give it to the driver.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I am
really waiting to see where the whole TV market is heading before I
buy much new. I still think there will be a huge IP based TV system on
the internet ... as soon as they can get the business model and DRM
problems worked out. The writer's strike was just the first battle ?- Hide quoted text -

canada will still be analog

Thanks. They have channels 2 to 86 also? (I'm not actually sure the
US goes up to 86. It was supposed to at one point, but I think they
stop in the 70's or something.)

The US used to go up to 83 (not 86), but it has been limited to 69 for
20 years or do.

No wonder I don't know.. I stopped paying attention to most things
about 20 years ago.

They're supposed to be lowering the limit even more
now, I forget how far.

Wait a second. Are you saying there will still be UHF stations after
the digital conversion? With TV on them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
The US used to go up to 83 (not 86), but it has been limited to 69 for
20 years or do. They're supposed to be lowering the limit even more
now, I forget how far.

Already been done. The first restriction was when they gave away the area
between 800 and 890 MHz. The second was when they sold 700-800 MHz.

--
If only there was a Republican running for President of the United States.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes there will. They are using (part of) the same frequency band for
digital as was used for analog.

Also, according to the official website, this law DOES NOT affect low
power and translator stations.

Here is a list of the network channels I get here, and the digital
broadcast channels:

ABC analog=7 digital=10
CBS analog=19 digital=18
CW analog=38 digital=38*
Fox analog=51 digital=31
NBC analog=58 digital=22

* - According to antennaweb.org, CW will switch to digital
broadcasting on Feb 17 2009, using the same channel. The other
channels broadcast digital already.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 15:19:45 -0500, clifto wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
The US used to go up to 83 (not 86), but it has been limited to 69 for
20 years or do. They're supposed to be lowering the limit even more
now, I forget how far.

Already been done. The first restriction was when they gave away the area
between 800 and 890 MHz. The second was when they sold 700-800 MHz.

700-800 MHz corresponds to channels 52-69, which sounds like what I
remember. However, that range is still in use for TV. The NBC station
here is broadcasting on channel 56. The digital version of that is on
channel 22, well outside that range.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
The US used to go up to 83 (not 86), but it has been limited to 69 for
20 years or do. They're supposed to be lowering the limit even more
now, I forget how far.

Already been done. The first restriction was when they gave away the area
between 800 and 890 MHz. The second was when they sold 700-800 MHz.

700-800 MHz corresponds to channels 52-69, which sounds like what I
remember. However, that range is still in use for TV. The NBC station
here is broadcasting on channel 56. The digital version of that is on
channel 22, well outside that range.

Yeah, in the Chicago area we still supposedly have 54, 56, 60, 61, 62 and
66 on the air on analog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WJYS for the lists near the bottom, for those
who spotted the three adjacent analog channels.

--
If only there was a Republican running for President of the United States.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Mark Lloyd wrote:
The US used to go up to 83 (not 86), but it has been limited to 69 for
20 years or do. They're supposed to be lowering the limit even more
now, I forget how far.

Already been done. The first restriction was when they gave away the area
between 800 and 890 MHz. The second was when they sold 700-800 MHz.

700-800 MHz corresponds to channels 52-69, which sounds like what I
remember. However, that range is still in use for TV. The NBC station
here is broadcasting on channel 56. The digital version of that is on
channel 22, well outside that range.

Yeah, in the Chicago area we still supposedly have 54, 56, 60, 61, 62 and
66 on the air on analog.

In Baltimore, we definitely have 54 and 67 on the air in analog. Same
as the 25 years I've been here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WJYS for the lists near the bottom, for those
who spotted the three adjacent analog channels.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

They ought to come down here and buy truckloads of used analog tvs and
resell them in Canada. I wonder if there is a way to make money doing
that. If I see a Canadian truck, I'll give it to the driver.

Trade them for shower heads and toilets.

Canada is switching too, just not as soon. With so much of their
population so close to US border and watching US stations on a regular
basis, and vice-versa in US border areas, they pretty much have to be
compatible in order to keep selling ads.

aem sends...

What about Peru?