Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Multiple room floor refinishing question

I want to refinish the oak hardwood floors in three bedrooms connected
by a common hallway. Since I am working by myself, I will be unable to
keep a wet edge at all times if I do the bedrooms and the hall at the
same time. My question is if I do each room (stopping at the door
threshold) and allowing the bedroom floors to dry before doing the
hallway will I end up with noticeable transition points in the
doorways? Any suggestions on how to avoid this problem?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I want to refinish the oak hardwood floors in three bedrooms connected
by a common hallway. Since I am working by myself, I will be unable to
keep a wet edge at all times if I do the bedrooms and the hall at the
same time. My question is if I do each room (stopping at the door
threshold) and allowing the bedroom floors to dry before doing the
hallway will I end up with noticeable transition points in the
doorways? Any suggestions on how to avoid this problem?

Stop at a straight line right in the doorway and you'll never see it. No
one else will either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve" wrote

hallway will I end up with noticeable transition points in the
doorways? Any suggestions on how to avoid this problem?

Here are several things you can try. You'll do better on any of these if
you practice them first on some scrap.

My best idea:
* Feather-sand the edge of the old coating. Overlap with the new
coating. Sand when dry with increasingly fine sandpaper, starting with
maybe 320 grit (used very lightly) and finishing with wet-dry paper,
perhaps 2000 grit.

I like this idea. It sounds like it will work well.

My other idea since there doesnt seem to be a thresh-hold (or he wouldnt be
asking this), is to add one afterwards if there is a visible line. Doesnt
have to be much and I've seen thin woods just for this purpose at the local
Lowes.