Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default A "trick" that helped w/ faucet handle...

Seems like there have been several threads recently regarding stuck
faucet handles, etc. Just a solution for a problem I had over the
weekend in case somebody comes along and googles...

Single lever Delta lavatory faucet needed replacement seats/ball to stop
a drip. We have very hard water and the handle was not possible to get
off even after letting sit w/ a modified baggie full of vinegar and CLR
around it over most of two days. Didn't dissolve enough of the
calcification even w/ the set screw out as an access point, surprisingly.

Solution was to take a piece of 3/4" thick hardwood about 3" by 8" and
drill a 5/8" hole in the middle. Then split it lengthwise and placed it
around the handle behind the knob on the end and used a small C-clamp to
hold it in place. This provided a good surface against which to use a
hammer/mallet while applying pressure on the other end.

Took a surprising amount of effort w/ the hammer yet, but removed the
handle w/o damaging any of the plating, etc.

HTH somebody, maybe...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 3, 11:43*am, dpb wrote:

snip

Sco
dpb 1

Delta 0

Nice going.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 11:36:55 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Mar 3, 11:43*am, dpb wrote:

snip

Sco
dpb 1

Delta 0

"vinegar and CLR" 0

Nice going.

Joe

Made me think of my very old can of liquid wrench.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Oren wrote:
"vinegar and CLR" 0

Made me think of my very old can of liquid wrench.

Very similar problem indeed...cleaned the areas that got wetted very
nicely but the fit around the ball stem in the handle was too tight and
no way to get the solvent to the area needing it.

Although in this case w/ both being actual reactants rather than simply
a wetting agent, I suspect w/ sufficient time they would have
_eventually_ dissolved enough to make the handle "let go", but I was
tired of waiting...

Similar problem w/ most of the wetting agents for rusty fasteners --
they're not able to actually get into the area that really needs it as
the corrosion products effectively fill the space. They certainly help
if ever get it broken loose have some aid in many cases, but just don't
solve the problem in many instances...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:57:57 -0600, dpb wrote:

Oren wrote:
"vinegar and CLR" 0

Made me think of my very old can of liquid wrench.

Very similar problem indeed...cleaned the areas that got wetted very
nicely but the fit around the ball stem in the handle was too tight and
no way to get the solvent to the area needing it.

Although in this case w/ both being actual reactants rather than simply
a wetting agent, I suspect w/ sufficient time they would have
_eventually_ dissolved enough to make the handle "let go", but I was
tired of waiting...

Similar problem w/ most of the wetting agents for rusty fasteners --
they're not able to actually get into the area that really needs it as
the corrosion products effectively fill the space. They certainly help
if ever get it broken loose have some aid in many cases, but just don't
solve the problem in many instances...

A little "trick" I learned was to tighten a bolt or nut - carefully -
when it won't loosen. Back it off a bit and then apply a liquid
solvent. It seems to break the grip; allowing the fluid in.
Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:43:26 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:57:57 -0600, dpb wrote:

Oren wrote:
"vinegar and CLR" 0

[...]

Meant to add - wood and hammer persuasion.
Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Oren wrote:
A little "trick" I learned was to tighten a bolt or nut - carefully -
when it won't loosen. Back it off a bit and then apply a liquid
solvent. It seems to break the grip; allowing the fluid in.

My experience has generally been if it's so "growed together" as to be a
real problem loosening, there's little chance of tightening it either.
The biggest advent for fasteners was the invention of the impact wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 17:06:19 -0600, dpb wrote:

Oren wrote:
A little "trick" I learned was to tighten a bolt or nut - carefully -
when it won't loosen. Back it off a bit and then apply a liquid
solvent. It seems to break the grip; allowing the fluid in.

My experience has generally been if it's so "growed together" as to be a
real problem loosening, there's little chance of tightening it either.
The biggest advent for fasteners was the invention of the impact wrench.

I have a hand held impact wrench. Hit it with my hammer!

Glad the wood and hammer worked for you. My tool box often has a piece
of hard wood and a hammer. The go too tools!
Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Oren wrote:
A little "trick" I learned was to tighten a bolt or nut - carefully -
when it won't loosen. Back it off a bit and then apply a liquid
solvent. It seems to break the grip; allowing the fluid in.

My experience has generally been if it's so "growed together" as to be a
real problem loosening, there's little chance of tightening it either.
The biggest advent for fasteners was the invention of the impact wrench.

I have a hand held impact wrench. Hit it with my hammer!

They work on occasion mostly for 3/4" and smaller--much of what is a
problem for me is larger farm equipment that needs serious help. While
there's almost always some way w/ the "old" tricks, air now is so simple
it's just the "go to" first routine.

Glad the wood and hammer worked for you. My tool box often has a piece
of hard wood and a hammer. The go too tools!

For some things such as this, it's indeed the choice -- also a very good
choice for bearings, etc., ...