Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Replacing Windows

We have a 25 year old house and the windows leave much to be
desired. They let some cold air in and are a pain to work on (need to
pull out little pins to slide them, a real PITA.

So we have started looking at replacing them with something
better. Any suggestions? We are*looking mostly for crank operated
ones.

Has anyone did any windows replacements recently?

I would hire a contractor, but wanted to get a feel of what is good
and bad, first.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Mar 3, 11:19*am, Ignoramus32544 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32544.invalid wrote:
We have a 25 year old house and the windows leave much to be
desired. They let some cold air in and are a pain to work on (need to
pull out little pins to slide them, a real PITA.

So we have started looking at replacing them with something
better. Any suggestions? We are*looking mostly for crank operated
ones.

Has anyone did any windows replacements recently?

I would hire a contractor, but wanted to get a feel of what is good
and bad, first.

Along with all the great information you'll get in this group, you
might want to take a look he

http://www.vinyl-replacement-windows.com/forum/

I learned a number of very important things at that site, many of
which I put to use when I installed my replacement windows last fall.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Ignoramus32544 wrote:
We have a 25 year old house and the windows leave much to be
desired. They let some cold air in and are a pain to work on (need
to pull out little pins to slide them, a real PITA.

So we have started looking at replacing them with something
better. Any suggestions? We are looking mostly for crank operated
ones.

Just some FYI...

Two choices I can think of...casement or awning/hopper windows. Well,
there are jalousie windows but they aren't suitable anywhere it gets
cold.

Casements are hinged vertically, will open 90 degrees. Awning/hopper
windows open the same but are hinged horizontally. Awning windows
open by the bottom swinging up, hopper panes open by the top swinging
downward.

Personally, I like awning windows as they generally can be left open
when it rains. Additionally - since the opening panes are smaller -
they need less room outside than do casements.

Both types are generally more expensive from a given manufacturer than
the same manufacturer's sliding or single or double hung windows.

Any require internal screens - as opposed to external - else the
window can't open if screens are used.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Mar 3, 10:19*am, Ignoramus32544 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32544.invalid wrote:
We have a 25 year old house and the windows leave much to be
desired. They let some cold air in and are a pain to work on (need to
pull out little pins to slide them, a real PITA.

So we have started looking at replacing them with something
better. Any suggestions? We are*looking mostly for crank operated
ones.

Has anyone did any windows replacements recently?

I would hire a contractor, but wanted to get a feel of what is good
and bad, first.

Loewen has the highest R value ive seen R7+ , most are R3.3 or so.
Pellas condense sooner than Anderson. You need to learn test ratings
and review manufacturers if you want to save on utilities. U and R
value, shg, cdf, air infiltration ratings etc. Very important is the
installer as it is easy to get no warranty ever, from a poor window
installer installing them more than 1/8" out of Plumb, Level or
Square, it happened to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Mar 3, 12:19 pm, Ignoramus32544 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32544.invalid wrote:
We have a 25 year old house and the windows leave much to be
desired. They let some cold air in and are a pain to work on (need to
pull out little pins to slide them, a real PITA.

So we have started looking at replacing them with something
better. Any suggestions? We are looking mostly for crank operated
ones.

Has anyone did any windows replacements recently?

I would hire a contractor, but wanted to get a feel of what is good
and bad, first.

Good information here about window replacment
http://www.familiesonlinemagazine.co...ment/41151.php