Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood/Wood floor question

I have a question about wood floors and possibly just wood in
general.

A few years ago I developed a weird allergy/sensitivity to being
around certain wood floor homes or establishments with lots of wood
fixtures.

I notice it most intensely when there is a sweet smell, kind of like
older wood or something (possibly mildew) The kind of smell I notice
in old churches or other old establishments. I also notice the issue
when there is a strong natural wood smell like in a cabin or
something.

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what this could possibly be
causing the sweet smelling odor and if wood is giving off a strong
natural wood smell in a home is it possible to lock it in with a type
of finish.

I think I'm currently dealing with a mixture of both odors in the
apartment I just moved into. I'm thinking of laying some kind of
finish on the floor to possibly lock in the wood smell and getting a
air purifier that gets mold out of the air (considering the problems
are what I'm assuming they are).

I appreciate any input on the subject.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 1:27*am, wrote:
[...]

Its probably mold and you should not live with it, or there if it
affects you. Its not your responsibility as a tenant to have to fix
it, it is the landlords. I hate to say it but you should get a pro to
help, the citys health department. Some molds will make you very sick
and you are already affected by something you do not understand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Iriecd,

You use the word "apartment" which suggests to me that you are renting. I
do not think you should do anything to the landlord's apartment without his
permission in writing.
Ok, you are allergic to wood, or wood cleaner, or wood polish, or mold
that grows on wood, or many other things. You do not really know what is
causing your allergy. There are allergists who can help you to determine
what is causing your reactions. Are your reactions that severe? Can you move
to another (less allergen laden) apartment?
Sorry but I doubt an "air purifier" will help much.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

I think I'm currently dealing with a mixture of both odors in the
apartment I just moved into. I'm thinking of laying some kind of
finish on the floor to possibly lock in the wood smell and getting a
air purifier that gets mold out of the air (considering the problems
are what I'm assuming they are).

I appreciate any input on the subject.

Its probably mold and you should not live with it, or there if it
affects you. Its not your responsibility as a tenant to have to fix
it, it is the landlords. I hate to say it but you should get a pro to
help, the citys health department. Some molds will make you very sick
and you are already affected by something you do not understand.

Within reason you are correct. Give that the OP has a reaction in many
places, it may be that he will never get his apartment, or any other place,
sufficiently mold free to be comfortable. Mold is al around us.

If the apartment is beyond normal limits, the landlord should fix it but
don't expect perfection. It does not exist.

Shellac is probably the best coating to be allergen free. Careful with the
alcohol fumes though.