Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Elec. Water Heater Leak

Unit is 3.5 yrs old. Discovered leak yesterday and cannot quite
determine the the source. The thermostat and lower element are about
12 inches above the bottom of the unit, and when my husband removed
the access panel, water spilled out there. We know it was pooled up
at the top of the water heater as well, and leaking down the outside
from the top. Husband theorized that the water leaked out of the
lower element port, filled up the space between the insulation and
the
tank, all the way up to the top of the unit and began pooling there.

After replacing the lower element and refilling the first time
yesterday mid-afternoon, it did not begin to leak until late last
night -- coincidentally after the water was fully reheated.

This morning, after turning the unit off, draining it, carving away
the insulation and checking for water around the anode port, we can
tell the leak is not coming from anywhere on the top of the WH. It
did not begin to leak today until about 5 hrs later -- coincidentally
after fully reheating. It is currently leaking from the very very
bottom: there is an exterior metal skin like a pan, identical to the
"skin" my husband pried off of the top to get to the insulation and
anode. It is leaking from the seam between the "side skin" and the
"bottom pan."

It does not APPEAR to be leaking from the T&P valve.

It does not appear to be the drain valve leaking, although we can't
see it. My husband tucked a paper towel in there and it came out dry.
The plastic tube that the valve sticks protrudes through is so darn
close, you just can't see wetness, even with a flashlight.

Does it sound like the tank leaking (and thus subject to the
warranty.
We didn't want to pay $100 for a tech visit -- 4 days from now, btw
--
to find out it's the $15 anode)?

WHY DOESN'T IT LEAK UNTIL REHEATED? (this could just be our
interpretation. I had theorized that residual water is draining out
from the insulation, but it stops dripping while the unit is drained
and for several hrs after refilling).

Thanks for your advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 13:57:02 -0800 (PST), Alison
wrote:

[...]

You sound like the brains in the family, I'd tell hubby to stay away
from it if i were you.

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 4:57�pm, Alison wrote:
[...]

sounds like a leaky tank, that can occur, for a large number of
reasons. expansion when the tank gets hot causes the leak to reoccur,
then it takes time to saturate the insulation and show up on the
floor. i would call the manufacturer, and place a warranty claim.

before removing parts of the outer shell talk with them first, so you
dont void the warranty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com- Hide quoted text -

Hey! Take it easy! That's my new, handsome and very able husband
you're dissing! : - ) anyway, any suggestions we can use?
Thanks, in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, in advance.- Hide quoted text -

new is the key word, after a few years you wouldnt care...... and
probably wish you had never met him

so enjoy the honeymoon period it sadly doesnt last

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alison" wrote in message

WHY DOESN'T IT LEAK UNTIL REHEATED? (this could just be our
interpretation. I had theorized that residual water is draining out
from the insulation, but it stops dripping while the unit is drained
and for several hrs after refilling).

Thanks for your advice.

Because the tank expands a bit when the water's hot. Loose pipe somewhere
or T&P valve?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 7:33*pm, "Bob M." wrote:
"Alison" wrote in message

WHY DOESN'T IT LEAK UNTIL REHEATED? *(this could just be our
interpretation. *I had theorized that residual water is draining out
from the insulation, but it stops dripping while the unit is drained
and for several hrs after refilling).

Thanks for your advice.

Because the tank expands a bit when the water's hot. *Loose pipe somewhere
or T&P valve?

This part concerns me:

"We know it was pooled up
at the top of the water heater as well, and leaking down the outside
from the top. Husband theorized that the water leaked out of the
lower element port, filled up the space between the insulation and
the
tank, all the way up to the top of the unit and began pooling there. "

It seems unlikely to me that a leak like this is going to be able to
fill the entire tank surround up to the point that it overflows from
the top. The access panels, etc are not water tight.

I'd get the pipe connection points at the top of the tank dry, then
put some paper towels around them. Keep an eye on it, leave the
access panel off and see if the towels get wet. If you're sure it's
not a pipe connection, then I'd call the tank manufacturer about the
warranty.

If you do get the warranty involved, please report back how it works
for you. There was a lengthy discussion here a few weeks ago, where
a person shopping for a new tank dismissed warranties as worthless.
I'd be interested in hearing how it works for you, how you had to
proceed with the claim, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 8:36�am, wrote:
On Mar 2, 7:33�pm, "Bob M." wrote:

"Alison" wrote in message

[...]

if the leak is at a connection the tank is likely rusting from the
inside out.

i would call the manufacturer make a warranty claim and replace the
tank

be espically interested if the leak can flood a finished space, like
carpet etc.

if the warranty is a loser just replace the tank.

are you certain of the tanks age? i write the install date on the
outside for easy reference
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alison" wrote in message
[...]

Do you have a check valve or regulator where the water comes into the house? If
so, do you have an expansion tank to allow for expansion of the water as it
heats? If not, that could help cause leaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You sure you're not related to Donna?

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

wrote:

[...]

You sure you're not related to Donna?- Hide quoted text -

Suggest you get a warranty tank as age, also there is no way water
will build up that high less you blow your hydro as you will cross the
element terminals
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 9:36*am, wrote:
On Mar 2, 7:33*pm, "Bob M." wrote:

"Alison" wrote in message

[...]

Hello.
Thank you all for the benefit of your experiences and expertise; the
existence of the sacrificial anode was a surprise to me (and most
everyone else I've mentioned it to since) - seems like a little
secret; aside from a picture in the manual, there's really nothing
about PM-ing it.

While I don't know for sure if the tank was leaking (don't know what
else it could be, because we checked every other orifice of the
thing), the technician (who took 4 days to get there) took one look at
all we'd done and immediately offered to replace the tank. We took
the tank, but installed it ourselves since installation would have
cost us $300 (I use the royal "we" here -- my husband did 100% of the
work). So, I am happy to report that Sears didn't blink about the
warranty.

Thanks Again!