DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fridge too cold (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/235901-fridge-too-cold.html)

pipedown March 2nd 08 08:44 PM

Fridge too cold

I think I know what's wrong but I wanted to get a second opinion from those
who probably know more.

My Sears Refrigerator (Regular freezer on top kind) is freezing up in the
fridge compartment. I have already verified that all vents are clear and I
can hear the fans run free and twice partially defrosted it and still it
freezes up (~20F).

Looking at the parts diagram, I see there are 2 thermistors one in freezer
and one for the fridge and an electronic control module

I think it is the fridge thermister and think I should just go and replace
it and see what happens. Does this sound like the best course of action?

Anybody know what the thermister should read out on a multimeter (ohms while
hot and hold)? so I can test it. Any other useful go no-go tests I can
try to verify the failed part?

Reference to parts drawing for my model
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...Sub+Components

At least too cold won't ruin the food inside and I have some time even
though I need to thaw the milk for a glassfull.

Thanks in advance'

[email protected] March 2nd 08 11:12 PM

Fridge too cold

Reference to parts drawing for my modelhttp://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/retrieveSubComponentParts...

At least too cold won't ruin the food inside and I have some time even
though I need to thaw the milk for a glassfull.

Thanks in advance'

i know it souds dumb but have you set the fridge warmer? is the
freezer set excissevely cold.?

my mom called me once many years ago my fridge is frozen........
someone had bumped the control:)

PaPaPeng March 2nd 08 11:24 PM

Fridge too cold

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 12:44:25 -0800, "pipedown"
wrote:

My Sears Refrigerator (Regular freezer on top kind) is freezing up in the
fridge compartment. I have already verified that all vents are clear and I
can hear the fans run free and twice partially defrosted it and still it
freezes up (~20F).

Used to have the same problem. Either it freezes up the main
compartment or it doesn't get cold enough. My fridge is 30 years old.
Vents were clear, etc. I finally popped out the freezer compartment
panels to look inside. The panels are thin sheet metal and they
flex. There were only two studs holding the floor panel in place.
Press the panel far enough to clear the stud. The rest of the panels
can be disassembled by sliding them out. The rear verticle panel is
held by three screws and to remove it the floor panel needs to be
removed first.

The freezer coils are against the back wall. The vent openings and
the transfer fan are also there. In my fridge the bottom half of the
freezer coils were encased in solid ice. It took something like six
hours to melt the ice. That's one good explanation why previous
overnight defrosts worked only for a few months before acting up
again. Works like a charm now.

Zyp March 3rd 08 12:36 AM

Fridge too cold

pipedown wrote:
[...]

You might check the door seal. The frost build up can be caused by excess
humidty entering the freezer. The manufactuer suggests checking the door
seal, and cleaning with a cloth and some light cleaning solution [read
soap].

--
Zyp