Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting nut off of bathrrom sink faucet

I have a wall mounted porcelain sink. I want to replace the rigid
tube that runs from the cut off valve to the faucet with a flexible
steel jacketed one. The problem is there is very little room to get
to the nut undeer the faucet. The area uner the sink where the nut is
located is in a 12" long by 4" wide by 6" deep. I have a 12" or so
long basin wrench where I can just about get the jaw around the nut,
but there's no room to turn the jaw. Any ideas on how to get around
this?

I was thinking of removing the sink from the wall and working on it
where I have more room (it's old and everything could use
replacing). How is it attached to the wall? I don't see any bolts/
clamps underneath it. I thought sinks like this are hooked to some
type of plate. The wall is tiled.

thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

saag wrote:
I have a wall mounted porcelain sink. I want to replace the rigid
tube that runs from the cut off valve to the faucet with a flexible
steel jacketed one. The problem is there is very little room to get
to the nut undeer the faucet. The area uner the sink where the nut is
located is in a 12" long by 4" wide by 6" deep. I have a 12" or so
long basin wrench where I can just about get the jaw around the nut,
but there's no room to turn the jaw. Any ideas on how to get around
this?

I was thinking of removing the sink from the wall and working on it
where I have more room (it's old and everything could use
replacing). How is it attached to the wall? I don't see any bolts/
clamps underneath it. I thought sinks like this are hooked to some
type of plate. The wall is tiled.

thanks.

Yes, the sink is hooked (hung) on a cast plate.

But I would rather cut the existing tube and
use a deep socket to turn the nut. If you can't
cut high enough, bend the tube back and forth till
it snaps off.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 11:31:05 -0800 (PST), saag
wrote:

I have a wall mounted porcelain sink. I want to replace the rigid
tube that runs from the cut off valve to the faucet with a flexible
steel jacketed one. The problem is there is very little room to get
to the nut undeer the faucet. The area uner the sink where the nut is
located is in a 12" long by 4" wide by 6" deep. I have a 12" or so
long basin wrench where I can just about get the jaw around the nut,
but there's no room to turn the jaw. Any ideas on how to get around
this?

Hold the basin wrench vertical and not horizontal :-/

I was thinking of removing the sink from the wall and working on it
where I have more room (it's old and everything could use
replacing). How is it attached to the wall? I don't see any bolts/
clamps underneath it. I thought sinks like this are hooked to some
type of plate. The wall is tiled.

thanks.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 4:01*pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
saag wrote:
[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

That would get the old one off, but wouldn't I have the same problem
when trying to attach the new tube?
Posted to alt.home.repair

saag wrote:
[...]

when trying to attach the new tube?- Hide quoted text -

have you tried a basin wrench?

Posted to alt.home.repair

...and the OP said:

"I have a 12" or so long basin wrench where I can just about get the
jaw around the nut, but there's no room to turn the jaw. Any ideas
on how to get around
this?"

Kitchen faucet / sink advice RnR Home Repair 5 May 22nd 07 09:42 PM
faucet/sink quality DLK Home Repair 27 March 6th 07 11:09 PM
faucet/sink quality DLK Home Repair 0 March 6th 07 03:05 PM
Sink and faucet question [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 25th 07 04:41 AM