DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   birdbath repair suggestions (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/235776-birdbath-repair-suggestions.html)

Northe March 1st 08 03:19 PM

birdbath repair suggestions

I have a birdbath -- definitely not concrete or fiberglass, probably
some kind of plaster. Apparently there was some sort of coating on the
inside of the bowl and after a freezing night or two the coating spalled
and the bowl developed some fine cracks and now leaks. I'm looking for
some sort of coating I can use inside the bowl to stop the leaking. One
of the local hardware stores recommended the water-based latex form of
Drylok masonry waterproofer -- I wish it was available in less than a
gallon-sized can. Someone else recommended some kind of bitumen paint --
but didn't know the brand or where it was available. Obviously I don't
want anything that'd be toxic for the birds.

Anyone had experience with sealing a birdbath, fountain or, perhaps,
something like a small koi pond?

Thanks in advance!

Northe
Green Valley, AZ

Joe March 1st 08 06:57 PM

Northe wrote:
I have a birdbath -- definitely not concrete or fiberglass, probably
some kind of plaster. Apparently there was some sort of coating on the
inside of the bowl and after a freezing night or two the coating spalled
and the bowl developed some fine cracks and now leaks. I'm looking for
some sort of coating I can use inside the bowl to stop the leaking. One
of the local hardware stores recommended the water-based latex form of
Drylok masonry waterproofer -- I wish it was available in less than a
gallon-sized can. Someone else recommended some kind of bitumen paint --
but didn't know the brand or where it was available. Obviously I don't
want anything that'd be toxic for the birds.

Anyone had experience with sealing a birdbath, fountain or, perhaps,
something like a small koi pond?

Thanks in advance!

Northe

This is not a creative use for your time. Head for a garden shop and
buy a more robust birdbath, or search the web for many of the online
choices. Good luck.

Joe
Green Valley, AZ

Phisherman March 1st 08 09:27 PM

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 07:19:37 -0700, Northe wrote:

[...]

Any of the clear aquarium sealers might work (look at a pet/aquarium
shop). The area to be sealed must be very clean and absolutely dry. If
that fails, it probably a good time to think about replacing the
birdbath. A freezing/thawing cycle will certainly make the smallest
of all cracks worse.

dadiOH March 1st 08 09:33 PM

Northe wrote:
I have a birdbath -- definitely not concrete or fiberglass, probably
some kind of plaster. Apparently there was some sort of coating on
the inside of the bowl and after a freezing night or two the
coating spalled and the bowl developed some fine cracks and now
leaks. I'm looking for some sort of coating I can use inside the
bowl to stop the leaking. One of the local hardware stores
recommended the water-based latex form of Drylok masonry
waterproofer -- I wish it was available in less than a gallon-sized
can. Someone else recommended some kind of bitumen paint -- but
didn't know the brand or where it was available. Obviously I don't
want anything that'd be toxic for the birds.

Don't use any thing with bitumenous material...bye, bye birdie.

If the cracks are truly fine an acrylic sealer such as Seal-Krete
should work pretty well assuming the material is porous.
http://www.sealkrete.com/original.htm

If it leaks a LOT, epoxy would fix it. Seal-Krete would be cheaper
(MUCH), it costs around $12/gallon.

I would think a cementacious paint might work too. As would an
elastometric paint.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

jmagerl March 1st 08 10:57 PM

birdbath repair suggestions

I've had good luck with epoxy appliance paint in a spray can. Bigger cracks
get filled with bondo. Don't use bath tub sealants as they contain toxic
mildew-acides

Northe March 2nd 08 06:08 PM

birdbath repair suggestions

Thanks for some good ideas.

I'll check on Seal-Krete and epoxy paint. The only aquarium sealers I've
seen are the relatively thick material in tubes, and I'm intending to
seal the entire surface -- I'm not rejecting the idea out of hand, though.

Northe