Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Hoover Windtunnel for central vac

I've been using a Hoover Windtunnel power head and hose with our central
vac. Although it looks like garbage, we had a very expensive Stealth power
head from Europe and a Eureka power head and the Hoover is definitely
superior on carpeting and has held up over 5 years. The expensive Stealth
unit was beautifully engineered and quiet but the bristles were too short to
get deep into the carpet and only did a mediocre job of cleaning carpet.

In any case the Hoover is finally dying because the contacts in the handle
that accept the plug from the power head are overheating and melting the
plastic handle and burning the contacts. The interesting thing is that
Hoover was forced to recall a bunch of upright cleaners from similar
vintage for a similar problem.

I filed a complaint with the Consumer Product safety commission and Hoover.
Hoover gave me the brush off. In the mean time I ordered another Hoover
unit but I plan on putting the old one in a closet in case Hoover is ordered
to recall these too. If anyone out there has the same unit and has had a
problem, it might be a good idea to report it before some of these units
from that vintage catch fire as did the uprights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 03:28:08 -0500, "Art"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds typical of Hoover. This company is well-known for poor
customer support and scored low for employee relations. You might
want to contact the state General Attorneys office to file a
complaint. I have an 11-amp Panasonic vacuum that is going on 18
years. It has three filters which really helps cut down on dust. The
only repairs done was a belt replacement and an attachment holder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 3:28*am, "Art" wrote:
[...]

I probably have the same unit! It is exactly five years old also.

I have been experiencing problems with the Hoover Windtunnel. I read
your message and went and looked at the plug on the power head, the
contacts, and the plug on the hose. The plastic around the plug on
the hose is melted!!! It also has a burn mark. The plug contacts are
rusted looking.

Please let me know more information on this, if you have it.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Report the defect he

https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx

It will only take a few to force a recall. They don't like appliances
catching fire.

"sharynlew" wrote in message
On Mar 1, 3:28 am, "Art" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Just thought I would add that while I filed a complaint on the old Hoover
windtunnel central vac kit, I purchased a new one because other than the
overheating connector it was the best powerhead I've seen for a central vac.
In any case, the new version is even better. Much quieter, better hose.
All around improved.

"Art" wrote in message
[...]

Hoover WindTunnel agaitator will not spin [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 8th 06 11:04 PM
hoover central vac Dolph Home Repair 2 November 7th 06 06:28 PM
hoover central vac Dolph Home Ownership 0 November 7th 06 12:58 AM
Hoover Windtunnel Vacuum problems [email protected] Home Ownership 2 June 5th 06 05:24 PM
Hoover Windtunnel powerhead cord repair Mike Trachtenberg Home Repair 1 February 19th 06 10:12 PM